They are going to be 'the' gadget of NAB 2011, the portable LCD screened ProRes recorder for your video camera or DSLR. In true London bus style (you wait and then three come at once), Fast Forward Video have announced the sidekick HD.
Another booth for you to mark down on your card at NAB if you are interested in recording the HD-SDI or HDMI out of your camera. Take a look at the sidekick HD from Fast Forward Video, they are going to give one away on their stand #C12719 too. The jog wheel looks interesting and will allow for easier frame by frame stepping whilst on location. Seems a bit pricey at $2,494.95 though.
Here is a link to the product PDF, (link removed) but here are some outline specifications:
• Give post-production an option of preferred recording codecs
• Record directly to high quality NLE formats-eliminating extra transcoding time which may degrade image quality.
• Increase record times with larger capacity non-proprietary 2.5” solid state drives.
• Mount the sideKick HD anywhere with the power battery or cable option.
• Capture everything with automatic recording and frame rate/resolution sensing capabilities.