It has been a busy day for news. First of all we have the Mac Pro release, then the Colour Finale 2 update and of course our YouTube live show. Now Apple has released FCPX 10.4.8 and macOS Catalina 10.15.2. And yes the 16 inch MacBook Pro clicks have gone!
A busy day as we said and it's not over yet!
First up is the update to FCPX, now at 10.4.8, it looks like a series of bug fixes.
Has this release been timed to coincide with the Mac Pro? Probably. You do not need to run Catalina to run FCPX 10.4.8, it will work on Mojave.
New in Final Cut Pro 10.4.8
- Prevents an issue that could lead to visual artifacts appearing on a Mac with an Nvidia graphics card that has the Reduce Transparency accessibility preference turned on
- Fixes an issue that prevented media from appearing in the Photos library browser when using Final Cut Pro on macOS Catalina.
- Fixes an issue in which Final Cut Pro would sometimes load an incorrect project into the timeline.
- Resolves an issue in which thumbnails would not update when skimming titles, generators, and transitions in the Browser.
- Improves stability when sharing.
- Improves stability when skimming media in the Browser.
- Improves reliability when working with Sony XAVC media.
- Improves reliability when importing and exporting CEA 608 captions.
New in Motion 5.4.5
- Fixes an issue in which the HUD would not appear when using the Grow/Shrink behavior
- Fixes an issue in which the Color Space Override menu option was not available when working in Wide Gamut HDR
- Fixes an issue in which 3D text with transparency could display artifacts
- Prevents an issue that could lead to visual artifacts appearing on a Mac with an Nvidia graphic cards that has the Reduce Transparency accessibility preference turned on
- Improves stability when sharing
- Improves reliability when entering Korean text
New in Compressor 4.4.6
- Improves stability when using Reverse Telecine
- Improves reliability when importing Dolby Vision metadata
- Fixes an issue in which an error was erroneously reported when applying Dolby Vision metadata to a package created for the iTunes Store
- Fixes an issue in which an error was erroneously reported when verifying a package created for the iTunes Store
But for us, one of the most interesting bits of news today was the OS update. Apple has released Catalina 10.15.2 which fixes the clicks we first reported on from the day of the 16 inch MacBook pro launch in New York.
If you own a new 16 inch MacBook Pro, this update is a bit of a no-brainer. Nice to se that Apple listened to users with the problem and have responded quickly.
Here's what the clicks sounded like.
Catalina 10.15.2 adds the following features:
- New layout for Apple News+ stories from The Wall Street Journal and other leading newspapers
- Get links to related stories or more stories from the same publication at the end of an article
- “Breaking” and “Developing” labels for Top Stories
- Stories from Apple News are now available in Canada in English and French
This update includes the following bug fixes:
- Restores the column browser view for managing the music library
- Resolves an issue that may prevent album artwork from appearing
- Fixes an issue that may reset music equalizer settings during playback
- Adds support for using an iPhone or iPad to remotely control the Music and TV apps on a Mac
- Resolves an issue that may cause some AVI and MP4 files to appear as unsupported
- Fixes an issue that prevents newly created folders from appearing in Albums view
- Addresses an issue where manually sorted images in an album may be printed or exported out of order
- Fixes an issue that prevents the zoom-to-crop tool from working in a print preview
- Addresses an issue that may cause Mail preferences to open with a blank window
- Resolves an issue that may prevent using undo from retrieving deleted mail
- Improves the reliability of syncing books and audiobooks to your iPad or iPhone through the Finder
- Fixes an issue where reminders may be out of order in the Today smart list in the Reminders app
- Resolves an issue that may cause slow typing performance in the Notes app
- Fixes an issue where the user password might not be accepted at the login window after upgrading a Mac with an Apple T2 Security Chip to macOS Catalina
- Improves compatibility with video conferencing apps on MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018
- Users logged in as a standard user can now install apps from the App Store