• Page:

TOPIC: Dropbox Smart Sync driving me crazy

Dropbox Smart Sync driving me crazy 24 Apr 2020 10:52 #106487

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Not explicitly FCPX related, but maybe somebody can help me or point into the right direction? Am I the only one having massive issues with Dropbox Smart Sync? Files on my Dropbox fill up my local SSD even when they should be stored online only with Smart Sync. Dropbox also messes up my TimeMachine Backups and MacOS System Information (have a look at the Screenshot).
Not sure if this is a MacOS issue or a Dropbox issue, but is there a way to fix this?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dropbox Smart Sync driving me crazy 24 Apr 2020 12:22 #106491

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Turn off the smart sync, tell DropBox to NOT sync to your local drive. Not sure where that setting is, but there is one. I've not used DropBox in ages. We're using Frame.io and Google Drive. Google Drive gives us more storage space and seems to give us faster up/downloads.

Dropbox Smart Sync driving me crazy 24 Apr 2020 12:37 #106495

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329

Michi wrote: ...Am I the only one having massive issues with Dropbox Smart Sync? Files on my Dropbox fill up my local SSD even when they should be stored online only with Smart Sync....

It is easy for this to happen. You may need to use Selective Sync (not Smart Sync) to specifically de-select the files being synced to your local hard drive. IMO the user interface is confusing. This is exacerbated by there being three different interfaces: (1) Web interface (2) Native app interface (3) Finder interface using DropBox integration.

To use selective sync, start the MacOS DropBox app, then do Preferences>Sync>Selective Sync>Choose Folders, and de-select the folders you want synced to your local hard drive. You must do this on each Mac each time you sync a new folder, else that full contents will be replicated (ie synced) to the other machines.

I'm not proficient at DropBox, just trying to help. Anybody with more knowledge please correct this as needed.

Using selective sync: help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/s...ective-sync-overview
Smart sync vs selective sync: www.canto.com/blog/dropbox-smart-sync/

Last edit: by joema.

Dropbox Smart Sync driving me crazy 24 Apr 2020 13:12 #106497

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey joema.
Thank you! Selective Sync seems to be the way to go for me. While File management would be easier in the Finder, the hassle I had with Smart Sync isn't worth it.
And I completely agree with you that the user interface is confusing, What's even the purpose of the Dropbox-App when I have to use the Web interface to access those Folders I deselected?

• Page: