• Page:

TOPIC: DSLR Footage and 10.0.6

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 02:49 #15609

• DSvoboda356
  • DSvoboda356's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
So this is strange. When I shoot DSLR or file based media I always make a duplicate of the card. I drag the entirety of the card contents to another folder, usually named 001 or something like that. However when I try to bring it in that way in 10.0.6 it reads the files as mp4s and only allows me to copy media to the FCP Events folder. Also it renames the clips based on the date and time they were shot. HOWEVER if forgo the file directory, just the movs off of the card (not in the DCIM folder) it reads them as quicktime movies and brings them in with the MVI naming convention. It also allows me to reference the media in its current location.

Any ideas why the sudden change? Can I make it go back to the way it was?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 04:15 #15625

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
My Canon 7D works as it always did, have to go get the QT files directly out of the DCIM folder.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 04:18 #15627

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thats really weird. Are you brining the files in straight off the card or are you have backed up its contents in another folder?

Are you dragging in through finder or the import media dialogue?

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 04:34 #15630

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Reading both off the card, and then from a copy to a hard drive, with the Import window, both work fine. Drag-and-Drop from a Finder window works just fine.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 04:39 #15631

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
This is with the card structure preserved.

And without. Notice the file type has changed, as well as my options for copying or referencing media

Attachments:

Last edit: by DSvoboda356.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 06:22 #15632

• Mikeybouchereau
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
when reading off the card, Final Cut recognizes that it is a quicktime file that is H.264 (ie MPEG-4), but without the card structure it is just another quicktime movie file without any additional metadata (I am assuming the folder doesn't have the .thm files) The files haven't been changed but the program can not read further into the file until it is imported.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 06:32 #15633

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
Need to see the two folder structures in column view to see what's being imported. The behavior may have changed because of the unified

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 06:40 #15634

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
I was hoping that it might read the THM files but alas it does not. Interesting that option to transcode is greyed out. After importing I ended up with an H.264 file.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 12:29 #15657

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here are the two folders at the finder level compared with how they look in FCP

Card Structure Preserved

Notice how the folder is classified as a media folder in fcpx

No file structure

The folder in fcp has changed to a regular folder.

All of this is new in 10.0.6
Attachments:

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 12:34 #15659

• Tom Wolsky
Try moving the copy folders outside of the the folder called Video and deleting that folder called Video. See if that changes the behavior.

P.S. In the import from the first instance are you selecting the MVI QT file or the folder called 100EOSSD. Is this SD media BTW?

Last edit: by Tom Wolsky.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 12:49 #15660

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I tried moving it to outside the video folder, same issue.

What is very weird in that in the first set of grabs at the finder level 100EOSSD but FCP ignores every folder except the media files.

How this seems to like the old "import from camera" in 10.0.05. I would use this with my AVCHD camera. But i dont know why it would change.

This is with CF media.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 13:29 #15662

• Tom Wolsky
I can't reproduce this problem where FCP is converting the .mov files to .mpg.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 13:41 #15663

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
After I import the footage into my event the info indicates that it is a h.264, but in the import window it is identified as an mp4. Of course that is with the card structure preserved.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 14:27 #15673

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I can not duplicate this, works the same for me no matter what, just .mov files from a Canon 7D.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 15:04 #15676

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Very strange. I can replicate it on both my MacBook and my iMac.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 24 Oct 2012 17:47 #15697

• verstaerker
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i can't import my movies from Aperture anymore :(

or am i overseeing something?

Last edit: by verstaerker.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 28 Oct 2012 14:00 #15996

• Mals82
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hello all,
I wanted to expand a little bit on this issue posted by DSvoboda356, which I am getting as well, in the exact same ways as he described. But fcp x behaviour on this can be even more inconsistent and devious. Here is an image of my folder structure, in which I have several card folders inside a bigger folder:
[EDIT:I'm sorry, I can't get the image to attach, don't know why others work fine...Please see next image...]

So DIA 1 T1 is a card folder and i have others like that underneath. As you can see, when selecting the superior folder containing all the card folders (here Cariño teaser 2 ene12), the option to copy files to the final cut events folder IS NOT greyed out. So, if I leave it UNCHECKED and proceed to import, fcpx will still copy the files inside the card folders to the final cut events folder!!!!Even though I specifically left the option unchecked ! At first I was simply baffled at the time it was taking to import the files, and then I could see on the background tasks monitor it was performing some importing task that I could not understand, because I had left all eventual importing tasks unchecked...I thought it might have been a bug so I restarted the app. Of course, when I reopened all files were offline but one. After a while digging I remembered this thread, went to look at the final cut events folder and sure enough, there was one copy of a file (the one still online) and nothing else, so no aliases pointing to my other media. This means that even though I had previously been able to see and work with the files from their original location, the import process had logged the files as beeing already in the events folder even if copying the files was still not done. Having interrupted the copying without knowing by leaving the app, it had of course lost the path to them and considered them offline.
Anyway, it then seems that when fcpx recognizes a card structure it forces you to copy the files to the events folder, overriding settings you have on import even if you selected a superior folder and left the copy option unmarked.
As DSvoboda356 said, selecting the card folder forces copy, as seen in this snapshot:

In defense of fcpx, one could say this a protective measure to backup automatically your cards so you don't work with the only existing copy...
But this forced backup is help I don't want, mainly because most of the time when you get to the editing point, folders you have of your cards are already copies of the original cards, so I DON'T WANT another copy/backup, I want to point to the media, save disk space and lots of importing time!!!
This behavior of the app copying the files without me knowing it and without giving me any kind of warning is, from my point of view, a poorly designed and unacceptable one. It could at least show a window of this type: "Warning: the folder selected contains media card structures. The media inside will be copied to the final Cut Events folder".
Side notes on this issues regarding clip names and metadata:
- when importing the files by selecting the card folder with the appropriate structure (thus copying files), files will be named after date and time of creation (as posted by DSvoboda356) and will have camera name and reel number as assigned metadata according to the folder name of the card:

("bande" is french for reel) That at least is nice.
I have also found you can revert to the original MVI names by selecting your clips and using the rename options in the inspector, which allows for "use original name from camera":

- If you import clips without the original card structure (thus being able to choose whether you want to copy them or not), you will have the original MVI file name, but you will lose the camera name and reel number metadata...You can always edit it back later though.

That's about it on this issue. I have to say it still seems fcp x needs a lot of work. I haven't really transitioned (I'm still happily working on 7), but I have followed x development very closely, reading all this forums, also the cow, watching tutorials and occasionally fooling around with the app to start getting a grip on it. But every time I open it and try to do something I find one thing or another I don't like and believe needs adjustment from the developers team. (What about those disclosure triangles that keep closing every time you change collections...Maddening!)
There's also a lot to like, and I hope they will keep fixing all this quirks.
Hope you find any of this rant useful and I apologize for the length of it!
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mals82.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 28 Oct 2012 14:21 #16001

• Mals82
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The missing image:

Oops, it seems it just won' t work with this image.......Anyway, the first image in the previous post should give you an idea. Sorry again...

Last edit: by Mals82.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 28 Oct 2012 15:17 #16010

• Tom Wolsky
This is a poor workflow. The point of a backup is that it's on a separate drive and is untouched so there is no risk of it being corrupted. This is your friggin master video, your production, and you want to work directly off of your backup linked by an alias?

You're pointing the application to a camera archive. It looks and behaves exactly like a camera hard drive. I'm not sure how it's supposed to know that this folder structure is your backup and not a camera drive.

DSLR Footage and 10.0.6 28 Oct 2012 17:08 #16024

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Mals I am actually kinda glad someone else is having this issue. I thought I was crazy. Anyway, while most of the time I do have FCP move things to the Event folder there are times when it is not necessary, or I just want the OPTION to be able to organize my media as I see fit. I dont think I would be nearly annoyed by it if I it functioned this way in 10.0.5 but this new with the update.

Something else I found goofy. When I shoot a on a GoPro I back up the card like normal, maintaining the file structure. (Even though though with GoPros it was never important, O just want to be sure I get everything). Then I create a "Transcoded" folder and after logging the clips I transcode to prores. This way I am not importing hours of gopro footage I dont need.

My directory in finder looks like this

Then when I go to FCP to import. I noticed that completely ignores the folders with in "Highway"

Notice how you can see the MOVs from the transcoded folder as well as the mp4s in the DCIM. Again this is new in 10.0.6.
Attachments:

• Page: