fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 20:11 #22645

• Soundwise
  • Soundwise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Vordio 2.0 is now out.

Edit: Well I guess Krzysztof got here with the news few seconds earlier!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Soundwise.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 20:17 #22647

Seems others announced this before I could get round to it. Thanks guys!

Remember, feedback will make it better. 2.0 has some new features but may also contain some new bugs as it is mostly a rewrite. The old algorithm could not support some features I need to put it such as ref clips (embedded sequences) which it ignored before.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 20:50 #22649

May I ask from my total ignorance on how this works under the hood, why Vordio can't export to Logic Pro 9?
--
Matias Canelson
www.canelson.us

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 21:02 #22650

You could make it produce logic files with a bit of extra work.

I doubt it is worth that extra work though with logic as apple have a vested interest in making logic import FCPXML soon. By the time I got it working, it might be obsolete.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 21:06 #22651

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Over 2 years and we've not seen it. Where is the vested interest?

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 21:13 #22652

I'm with BebB on this one, after 20 months of development I still don't understand why Apple didn't add support for Logic Pro in FCPx sooner, it would push Logic Pro sales a little bit, I think.

But, thanks for replying Vordio, are you planning to make it compatible with another software besides Reaper?
--
Matias Canelson
www.canelson.us

Last edit: by canelson. Reason: Mispelling

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 21:22 #22653

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
On the other hand, Apple did post a job opening for someone to develop audio software to work with video apps "like Final Cut Pro X". That didn't sound like a revamp of Logic Pro, but a new version of SoundTrack Pro. I'd rather just take it all in to Logic Pro, and the sooner the better.

But I also know it takes a lot of time and work to do that, no matter how simple the coding is.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 14 Mar 2013 21:50 #22660

canelson wrote: But, thanks for replying Vordio, are you planning to make it compatible with another software besides Reaper?

I wrote it to solve a personal problem as I had done a lot of work in FCPX but had a panic when I realised I couldn't get audio out and none of the tools at the time seemed to work correctly.

I chose reaper because I like the way tracks automatically bus through their parent folder tracks, so no more fiddling with busses. Very handy for organising scenes etc. Also the file format is just text so very easy to examine and manipulate.

I haven't checked inside a logic file to see how hard it would be. I also haven't used logic for over 10 years (since it was a windows app!) so didn't fancy that route. I suspect as not many translator tools support logic, there is world of pain though.

I really like reaper but it's known only in music circles because there is no import for common sound post work flows.

You can also write audio effects for reaper in a real time scripting language if you want.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 15 Mar 2013 19:37 #22712

I just took a look inside some logic files at a friend's.

As I suspected, it is a closed proprietary binary format, not human readable so hard to reverse engineer and no public documentation. Apple will not have any motivation to help by answering questions to understand such a thing, so it will likely be pain all the way.

Way too much trouble to add code to Vordio to make it build logic files.

Another open file format DAW I was thinking of supporting (mixbus & ardour which both use the same format), it turns out there's already a tool that can convert to those from Reaper, so they can be used with Vordio output already.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 15 Mar 2013 20:41 #22714

Hello

You mentioned that there was already a tool to convert Reaper to Mixbus (which i own a license for) is this an application, or is it a component of Mixbus?

regards

K

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 15 Mar 2013 23:56 #22722

Krzysztof wrote: You mentioned that there was already a tool to convert Reaper to Mixbus (which i own a license for) is this an application, or is it a component of Mixbus

AAtranslator supports conversion from reaper to ardour. In theory ardour files should open in mixbus too as mixbus is a fork of ardour.

I haven't tested Reaper to Ardour using AATranslator so I can't ensure it works in practice, only it should in theory. I have used AAtranslator from OMF to Reaper before successfully. However, I also know the FCPX to Reaper in AATRanslator doesn't work well at least for the time being anyway. It may get fixed in future.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 18 Mar 2013 13:22 #22838

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I suggested a dedicated audio forum, but got no reply. I'm going to ask again, doesn't anyone else thing there should be a dedicated audio for FCP forum here? It is such a complex and involved subject that can stray from straight "video editing", but does overlap.
www.fcp.co/forum/3-fcp-co-site-news-and-...ea/16116-audio-forum

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 17 Apr 2013 11:13 #24575

Vordio 3.0 is available now for download. Totally new engine. More robust with feature length projects. More convenient features to make starting a mix easier.

Slightly different deal. Now it has matured I have had to split it into free lite version & paid pro version.

Users who paid for either previous version get 50% discount on Pro version. Write to support to get a code.

Pro users get priority with new feature requests.

vordio.net/vordio-3-0/

Thanks,
John

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 21 Apr 2013 09:48 #24797

Vordio 3.0.1 Update is out now with new features & fixes.

More details here..

vordio.net/3-0-1-update/

Also, I would like to know if supporting building projects for Harrison Mixbus & Ardour in a future update would be useful to many people here?

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 21 Apr 2013 12:45 #24803

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I already rely very heavily on Kontact (Komplete 9), so that is a must have for me to use any DAW.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 22 Apr 2013 12:16 #24841

BenB wrote: I already rely very heavily on Kontact (Komplete 9), so that is a must have for me to use any DAW.

So what platforms/DAWs does that mean for you i.e. work with Kontact? Are you saying there are problems with Kontact and Reaper?

I chose reaper to start with as it is available on both windows and mac and supports both VST & Core Audio (on Mac). Plus it is one of my favorite DAWs to work in anyway.

Mixbus is Mac, Linux & Windows.

Ardour is Linux and Mac only. Not sure why Ardour don't support windows when Mixbus is based on the same source code as Ardour but do!

Basically, if there is a demand, I am willing to add support for anything that uses a human readable format for project import/export. I just want to prioritise which comes next.

Last edit: by vordio. Reason: Clarity

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 26 Apr 2013 00:46 #24971

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Do the Native Instruments stuff run in Reaper? If so, that is very good news.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 26 Apr 2013 03:31 #24979

Yes, they do.

Reaper is capable of loading VST/VSTi and AU plugins, so yes.... it loads Native Instruments plugins (including all content in their Komplete 9 bundle).

Reaper is a fully featured DAW like all the rest. I use Logic, PT, Live and Reaper.

Anyone using Reaper for sound post? 07 Jul 2014 10:29 #49322

Much has changed since this post, but for those using reaper, I just updated Vordio 3.0.2 to work with latest big changes in FCP X 10.1.2 project structure.

vordio.net/vordio-3-0-2-released/

• Page: