Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.08 released!!

10.08 released!! 03 Apr 2013 10:16 #23668

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
@Disproportionate Pictures

Sorry I took so long to get back. I decided to extend the bank holiday weekend.

The only thing that jumps out as incomplete, rather than buggy or not quite as I would like it, for me relates to animation.

Almost all the parameters in the title inspector don't work for animation yet. The keyframe interpolation for general animation isn't there and the animation editors on the timeline are far from complete.

They aren't far past their initial release, I think these should have been addressed long ago.

One thing that has my hopes high is that they are quite basic features that have been around for a long time on NLE's. I'm really hoping that that they aren't being ignored/put to the back of the list in favour of adding new features to get customers back.

I'm hoping it relates to being more complex than it should be as parameter behaviours are in the plan.

I also noticed the other day that a new feature in relation to animation has been added at some time. I'm not sure when it showed up. In the "Clip" menu there's a "Solo Animation" option. I put this in as a feature request way back, I'm sure many others did too, as it helps save lots of space on the timeline when animating. Once the feature is complete anyway.

There's a couple of things I can't really say are incomplete, but I'd like them to work differently.

I want the to get rid of that 1 frame restriction when rolling an edit point, it's a terrible idea.

And the colour board is always applied last after any effects. I'd like the option to have any effect applied after the colour board as an option. Broadcast Safe Filters come to mind, but if you do some colour work on a clip and add the "Photo Recall" effect you can see it would be quite nice to have this and many other potentially similar in working effects applied after the colour board. Currently the clip needs coloured before being added to a compound clip before the effect is applied.

On it's own it's not a massive issue, but then any further colour adjustment as a pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10.08 released!! 03 Apr 2013 15:06 #23687

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
RE: MBL comments...

I got it half price a while back for Cosmo, the skin retouching plug in. It's pretty much all I use from MBL but it worked great. Then the green flash issues with FCPX 10.0.6. No Cosmo. Instead, I purchased the Skin Plug in from FCP Effects. Cheap. Simple. Works great.

I agree that most grading plug ins are over the top. If I use them, it's just a tinge on top of my primary grade. But the skin retouching ain't something I can do on my own. And for anyone over 25, especially women, it's just part of our normal workflow. Just a touch but it makes a big difference and the clients really like it--when they see the difference vs. no retouching.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 20:56 #23852

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
An interesting speculation by Larry Jordan just tweeted...

www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2167

what you think?

:)

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 21:07 #23856

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Larry actually posted last Thursday BEFORE 10.0.8 update dropped. So it didn't figure into his speculation (though he note it at the top).

Whatever Apple has to say @NAB, we should hear about it in the next day or two.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 21:20 #23857

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yup. I just hope they do in fact have something to say. Like: here's your new Mac Pro Tower. And here's the roadmap for FCPX.

Doubt it, though.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 21:40 #23858

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't think anyone should have any expectations about a hardware announcement.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 21:45 #23859

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 15
I think it is all in the mix

Adobe/AVID/Apple

Adobe :

So as of now Adobe have got a whole load of "new" stuff.

success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1303_30759_nab.html

In a weird kind of way it reminds me of the update from FCP 6-7 not so many years ago.

De ja vu. Anyone?

I´ve said it somewhere else in here. I believe that Adobe have got the wrong end of the stick.

In my opinion they should be looking more in the Meta data Direction…

AVID :

With respect to AVID and the stick I am unsure if they have the luxury of twirling their stick, one way or the other. I suspect that their hands are already tied.

Apple :

All Apple have to do is bring out a kick ass 10.0.9 @ some point in the not all too distant future…

And yes an announcement/road map would help @ NAB would help :-)

I am very excited about NAB. As I believe that a lot of things will fall into place…

In my books FCP X is already light years ahead of the competition even if the industry as a whole has not gotten it yet!?!

In summary I think Adobe has dropped the ball, I expect to see AVID stumble and I hope that Apple will take at least 2 steps forwards…

That is my biased opinion. :whistle:

And lets not forget the NLE that refuses to go away. Lightworks :woohoo:

ps it would be interesting if some one at NAB could do a NLE head count. i.e. how many Adobe, Apple & AVID @ booths.

Last edit: by paurray.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 21:58 #23860

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Look, I love FCPX. And I want it to succeed. I just don't want to be stuck on a cool but little-used NLE cul-de-sac that makes it hard to get freelancers in here and makes clients raise their eyebrows when they ask what we cut on or when we have to share projects with other agencies. As far as a tool that suits our needs, X is quite good.

But it needs to be better than PPro and Avid--consistently--to win a broader acceptance within the industry. And the lack of a new tower ain't helping matters.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:11 #23861

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I understand the Stupid client situation.

Wasn´t it Larry Jordan who recently ran a competition for stupid client quotes.

A client said "I don't like green" whilst supervising the edit of an advert for lawnmowers.

I remember one of the most intriguing quotes before FCP X came out was over at Philip Hodgetts blog.

It referred to the still to be announced FCP X and it was a quote from Henry Ford.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Apple have not reinvented post they have just stream lined it…

I can not remember the last time I saw a horse and cart!

I am in Germany. It took 6 years for FCP Classic to take hold here.

Things are faster these days.

I give it 3 years this time round. 2 are already up...

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:12 #23862

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
I'm shaking my 8 Ball and I'm seeing something in that little window...

Apple may talk about a new product that either helps with collaborative workflow and/or audio (Logic Pro X))
No hardware announcement but they'll be a very strong hint.
Note that Adobe has mentioned multiple GPU use for PPro.
As part of Apple's FCPX roadmap talk they'll mention that FCPX will support multiple GPUs as well. Of course you know what that means. Their roadmap talk could either be for "this year" or "this summer" which may be a clue on when the MacPro happens for that multiple GPU support.

Apple does seem to be ready to embark on a PR move to get the attention of "Pros" so their talk may have a lot of interesting info.

My 8 Ball wants another quarter but I'm all out of change for the moment.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:15 #23863

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

screendor wrote: ...the lack of a new tower ain't helping matters.

I agree completely that the MacPro question has to be settled for the sake of people confidence in Apples commitment to this market. This just isn't going to be the venue.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:18 #23864

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
On the stupid comment subject, and sorry to continue off track. I one witnessed a digital video lecturer in a college explaining to a bunch of students, on Premiere Pro v.1.5, in relation to the effects section that "This is keying folder, thats where they keep the key frames". Lets just say he wasn't a digital video lecturer much longer.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:19 #23865

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just a hunch, but I don't think there will be any Apple hardware announcements at NAB. I get the impression they'd rather keep that for their own events.

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:25 #23866

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good for you Craig. I think you are on a role.

My tea leaf reading is telling me the same.

Yeah if they had something like "Adobe Anywhere" that would eliminate the only reason for me to even think of wanting to switch to Adobe.

And yes an end to the Logic Saga would be nice. Some time this year. Maybe. Just maybe... :side:

10.08 released!! 05 Apr 2013 22:30 #23867

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Agreed. It would be great to have an easy path to hand-off audio to a mixer. Also, the Adobe Anywhere concept (who knows about the actual execution?) is a great idea whose time has come. Let's hope Apple nails like it they did with Multi-Cam editing.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 01:46 #23875

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
If anything, the maintenance nature of the 10.0.8 release has me even MORE intrigued for whatever Apple has to say at NAB.

It was a VERY long release cycle for a maintenance update- much longer than any other non-feature release. Who knows, maybe there were some big issues at play to do with the green-frame fix. But I can't help thinking that there's something else behind it. Either a clearing of the decks for a larger release in the next few months or... I dunno. But it feels like there's another shoe to drop- especially if there's going to be any weight to this PR campaign.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 03:52 #23881

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
Aside from the unfortunate FCP X introduction at NAB Show three years ago, Apple has not made a presence or announcement at NAB Show in something like 7 or 8 years, I believe. They don't normally do conventions. A new Mac Pro would obviously be announced at WWDC 2013. Has anyone actually seen Apple scheduled for anything at NAB Show 2013? Even the FCP X unveiling was announced ahead of time. They are not on anyone's schedule at this time. I'd not hold my breath.

You know, last year was the first time in ages I didn't go. And I found that I was getting just as much information online, as quickly, as I would have if I was there in person. Just cheaper, and no fighting crowds. Just saying.

OK, time to do laundry and pack for NAB Show 2013, and create a special page on my FB profile to upload photos, video, new quips. For the little time I'll actually have between meetings with vendors for such things. A very busy NAB this year indeed... (sigh)

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 04:09 #23882

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Ben. You and I have been back and forth on this before. I'm not talking about an "Official Presence". If Apple was going to have some kind of event, we'd know about it by now.

I know for a fact from my own sources that Apple is having press briefings starting tomorrow. This shouldn't be any surprise; it's the same thing they did last year. Probably with the usual suspects [Larry Jordan, Philip, Scott Simmons]. Some of it will likely be "State of the Union" stuff- but hopefully we'll get some more roadmap features as were announced last year [though hopefully with a less vague release timeline than "2013"].

I'm happy to be surprised, but that's all I'm expecting.

Hardware has never been announced at NAB, and I don't expect that to change. But you're right that WWDC in June is likely the earliest we'll see a MacPro- but that's going to be entirely dependant on the guts. If Apple is waiting on next-gen Xeons with TB and USB3 support, it will be fall. Unless they have some other brilliant idea for workstation-class CPUs going forward.

Still working! Pack tomorrow. It's my first NAB- should be fun!

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 06:28 #23885

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: I...
It was a VERY long release cycle for a maintenance update- much longer than any other non-feature release. Who knows, maybe there were some big issues at play to do with the green-frame fix.

I think that's what it was. .08 came out almost exactly 2 weeks after OSX 10.8.3. I think they were waiting for an OS fix, test for a bit with the release version, push it to the Store... that'd probably take a couple weeks, so it makes sense...
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 11:31 #23892

• sconnor99
  • sconnor99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

cseeman wrote: I'm shaking my 8 Ball and I'm seeing something in that little window...

Apple may talk about a new product that either helps with collaborative workflow and/or audio (Logic Pro X))
No hardware announcement but they'll be a very strong hint.
Note that Adobe has mentioned multiple GPU use for PPro.
As part of Apple's FCPX roadmap talk they'll mention that FCPX will support multiple GPUs as well. Of course you know what that means. Their roadmap talk could either be for "this year" or "this summer" which may be a clue on when the MacPro happens for that multiple GPU support.

I think Apple need to let us have some ida of where they are going, the new updates in PPro are very impressive and Adobe may have done enough to convince a lot more FCP7 switchers to go their way