fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!

TOPIC: 10.08 released!!

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 12:00 #23894

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
I think Apple has been very clear where they are going. To me the track record of updates, along with the obvious release date of WWDC 2013 for a MP announcement, show clearly where they plan to go. But that's just me.

Where does Adobe plan to go in the future with PPro? I mean, its still not doing feature Hollywood films.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:15 #23904

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42

BenB wrote: Where does Adobe plan to go in the future with PPro? I mean, its still not doing feature Hollywood films.

Well, the behind-the-scenes stuff on the DVD for 'Monsters' clearly shows the director editing the movie on a PC laptop running Premiere while he is filming on location. The price of the DVD is worth it just for the extras (the extras are actually better than the movie) - it was a real case of Guerrilla filmmaking. Unfortunately for us, the software used was Premiere & After Effects - its still brilliant to watch though.

I think 'Act of Valor' was also cut on Premiere?

I'm finally thinking about upgrading to Mountain Lion. Should I upgrade FCPX before or after, or it doesn't make any difference?

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:20 #23906

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
Well I don't know not one editor (and I know hundreds) that have switched to Premiere.
Bolting on more and more features is something Adobe is very good at. Creating a piece of software that is intuitive beautiful and powerful is something that Adobe is yet to achieve. IMHO

Having said that. Apple do need to lift their game. 10.0.8 needs to be followed up with a meaningful update quickly.
Otherwise more FCP 7 Editors will bleed over to AVID or even begin to consider Adobe's offerings.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:22 #23907

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64

plysat wrote: I think that's what it was. .08 came out almost exactly 2 weeks after OSX 10.8.3. I think they were waiting for an OS fix, test for a bit with the release version, push it to the Store... that'd probably take a couple weeks, so it makes sense...

That's an interesting idea. If true, it could mean that 10.0.8 has been waiting on the OSX update for some time- with it's feature-set locked in since Feb perhaps. Of course, if the dev team has been essentially sitting on this maintenance update for a while, then that could mean our next update isn't as far off as usual. I still don't think we'll see any thing new RELEASED now, but soon'ish.

Very much looking forward to what today brings.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:26 #23909

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

BenB wrote: Where does Adobe plan to go in the future with PPro? I mean, its still not doing feature Hollywood films.

No, but I think I read somewhere that a certain number of films submitted to Sundance were cut on Premier. So it is creeping into the market in the independent space that had traditionally been FCP's domain for the past 10 years.

It seems the game for the next few years is still going to be wooing legacy FCP switchers.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:34 #23911

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Indies are done on everything. Even Vegas. "Hollywood" features are not being done on PPro. It "may" be creeping in, but the same can be said for FCP X in that way. I still don't see the empirical evidence PPro is taking over anything as strongly as their PR claims. Just saying...

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:35 #23912

• knurrrrrrt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Did I miss something? What will be announced today?

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:46 #23913

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Knutt

We are all just speculating as one does pre NAB.

You are in Berlin right? :whistle:

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 14:52 #23914

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

knurrrrrrt wrote: Did I miss something? What will be announced today?

Apple tends to do their media briefings the weekend before NAB. Last year they announced the RED, Dual Viewers, Multi-channel audio, and MXF support at these briefings along with the release window of "2013".

We should expect some similar news to come out of any sit-downs they have this weekend.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 16:53 #23920

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67

Well, it actually is now.

www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/ca-ad...jVwa+104+BSW20130404

The next version of Adobe video tools has been developed with features created
in direct response to the needs of filmmakers, broadcasters and video
professionals. In fact, the multiple Academy Award winning Coen brothers have
been working directly with the Adobe Premiere Pro product team and are switching
to Adobe Premiere Pro for their next feature film slated for late 2013.

And while Apple has an "in action" piece on a filmmaker who's work arguably makes the Coen Bros. films look like home movies, it doesn't matter in some ways. He's not in "hollywood", as dumb as that is. I love FCP X and use it daily, but I really do think Apple needs to step up their game as far as reaching out to "pro" editors if they hope to regain the mindshare that the rushed release lost. One can argue that that tiny percentage of pro's doesn't matter, but I think it does. A lot. It's not that the SW is incapable, but the overall perception of it is (unfairly) pretty bad. And you or I or anyone can do what we can to change that, but without some sort of "official" mouthpieces, it's a daunting task. It's likely that Apple troll these forums and others, I think they need to come out of lurk mode. And I get that they can't really tell us specifically what's coming, if for no other reason than Adobe/Avid would immediately set to work to copy any innovations before they were implemented. But a simple "don't worry, we're on it" would go a long way.

There are Adobe reps all over the "pro" forums like the ones at Creative Cow. Posting helpful links, asking for feedback, and just generally interacting with editors. Apple did the same thing when FCP "classic" was taking hold. They need to do it again, and I hope they do.
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 18:54 #23921

• grailz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 20
"I love FCP X and use it daily, but I really do think Apple needs to step up their game as far as reaching out to "pro" editors if they hope to regain the mindshare that the rushed release lost."

Why?

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 19:02 #23922

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
To a certain extent I agree. If Apple is going to be continue to be in this game, then they need to engage with users and professionals more actively.

Right now, both Avid and Adobe are very much playing the "customer service" card. And they're doing it well. In other areas Apple operates, like consumer electronics, where they have market advantage- they can be more coy: they're on top.

But in this arena, with a bungled launch, a product that is still behind in several key areas, and the looming question of high end hardware still top-of-mind for many; Apple can't afford to be lax.

I find it quite remarkable what they've done in the last few years, but the competition isn't sitting still either. I think the FCPX methodology has a bunch of advantages over traditional NLEs; but it will all be for naught if they're content to just paddle in the market.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 19:18 #23923

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

grailz wrote: "I love FCP X and use it daily, but I really do think Apple needs to step up their game as far as reaching out to "pro" editors if they hope to regain the mindshare that the rushed release lost."

Why?

Totally selfish reasons. I'd like to switch our whole shop to X (other editors are still on 7). But I'm fighting an enormous amount of "nobody likes/uses it" blowback. This despite the fact that I'm using X, and it works just fine for what i do. (movie marketing/trailers etc)

I was an early... if not the first adopter (actually finishing stuff... plenty of people were trying it out) of FCP Classic in this little niche business back at the turn of the century. At the time, Apple was very proactive in reaching out to folks like me. That led to a pretty big move from Avid to FCP in my business at the time. Admittedly, it's a different landscape now, but I'm trying to do the same thing, and I could use a little help.

Last edit: by plysat.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 19:28 #23924

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: But in this arena, with a bungled launch, a product that is still behind in several key areas, and the looming question of high end hardware still top-of-mind for many; Apple can't afford to be lax.

I find it quite remarkable what they've done in the last few years, but the competition isn't sitting still either. I think the FCPX methodology has a bunch of advantages over traditional NLEs; but it will all be for naught if they're content to just paddle in the market.

Totally agree. Maybe hiring that guy from Adobe (who IIRC, did developer relations/marketing there) is somehow related to a forthcoming change in this situation. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 19:55 #23925

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
It takes more than touting features to make a marketing campaign, of course.

Apple hasn't handled the "perception" issues such as:
Confidence in their direct customer support (especially since the VAR market is gone).
Building relationships with their advocates in the industry (even Evan Schechtman is quiet lately).
The most visible trainers, such as Larry Jordan, have hedged publicly (and maybe for good reason).
They're not building publicly visible relationships with facilities moving to FCPX or working to encourage such switching.

Apple doesn't seem to have a PR strategy outside of their "In Action" page which, given the appearance, may well be perceived as industry exceptions rather than industry trends.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 20:09 #23926

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

cseeman wrote: ...
They're not building publicly visible relationships with facilities moving to FCPX or working to encourage such switching.

Apple doesn't seem to have a PR strategy outside of their "In Action" page which, given the appearance, may well be perceived as industry exceptions rather than industry trends.

True. Now, to be fair, until .04 at the earliest, and really .06, it wasn't feasible for "high end" facilities to consider switching. X just didn't easily do what they needed without lots of workarounds, and the 3rd party apps for things like EDL's and AAF's were either untested in general use or unavailable. X2Pro was in it's infancy, and EDL-X didn't even hit the app store 'til last July)

Now, however, it is very usable. I'd hope they can see that and act accordingly. :-)

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 20:35 #23928

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

plysat wrote:
Now, however, it is very usable. I'd hope they can see that and act accordingly. :-)

One might guess that's why Apple got the LA Times coverage about stepping up their PR. I suspect they now feel they have a competitive tool set.

I do hope their strategy extends beyond updating the "In Action" page and an NAB press briefing to a few stalwarts. FWIW hearing encouraging works from Philip Hodgetts, Steve Martin, Larry Jordan, David Pogue, et al, isn't going to be all that persuasive to most facilities.

Not only do we need to hear about the accomplishments of a diversity of working editors (and I think those of us here know that exists) but Apple themselves need to show they will provide direct help in a way that publicly observable. This is even more critical given there's no VAR support to speak of these days.

Personally, along with roadmaps and "heroes" they need to show how they (or someone) will assist in implementing complex workflows.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 20:52 #23929

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
We aren't hearing about it, but they are doing this. Perhaps the reason why is because they're still working towards those successes.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 21:00 #23930

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Sitting here debating about it (I humbly include myself) may be exactly the kind of weight, clout, and PR Apple intended for.

10.08 released!! 06 Apr 2013 22:51 #23933

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I feel the FCP dev team is reaching out to many users directly. It is just not publicized, I'd think, as is par for Apple's secrecy.

That said, I do honestly feel that the FCP X/Motion 5 training program is in the toilet. Their first line of promotion, and it is in ruins...