Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.08 released!!

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 16:01 #23461

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64

El Cuajinais wrote: The fact they put out 10.0.8 to correct bugs just before NAB makes me even more hesitant because it would make sense for them to announce 10.1 at NAB and say: "Ok you got all those new features for free and the bugs have been corrected, you can't complain about having this new version (10.1) and asking full price again". I just think 10.0.8 could be the one to polish the last rough edges before they drop 10.1 on us at NAB. I find the 10.0.8 timing suspicious.

People said the same thing about the release of 10.0.4 just before NAB last year. It's only a week, so wait if you like, but I have zero confidence in a major paid upgrade anytime soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 20:37 #23465

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
Yes and you would think Apple would be foolish to start up this campaign just BEFORE they update the program.
Imagine how pissed off all the people who were enticed into buying the software because of the campaign would be?
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

10.08 new thing... 30 Mar 2013 21:32 #23472

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
In 10.0.8, if you duplicate an event, or duplicate a project +used clips (creating a new event) and the original event or project uses referenced source clips (i.e. on a central server) it copies the links now, not the original files! This is a huge deal for sneakernet internal sharing of projects/events. Well done!
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 21:41 #23473

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
Good find! Maybe we are getting closer to that all illusive collaborative workflow.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 22:02 #23476

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
I've never had any real issues with Apples update process of FCPX, I seen the potential and knew I was jumping on it early. There is stuff that I'd like them to fix that should really have been done already, but I do understand that as a business they have musts and those musts relate to bringing users back that they lost.

If they did offer a paid update before addressing some of the problems relating to stuff introduced in the first release then I'd have issues. I paid for FCPX when it was, pontentially powerful, but very limited in features, and even then they were in a certain state. That state was incomplete and since then they have added features and done many fixes. But overlooking what they have added, that I never paid for, what I have already paid for isn't complete yet, and I don't want to pay again until it is.

I'd see it as immoral for them to charge until the initial state is complete and working, there may even be legal issues, but that's well beyond my knowledge to know for sure.

Did anyone notice that eventually keyframes in the text inspector are being looked at. Originally nothing was key-frameable. Anything published from Motion appeared in the title inspector and was always key-frameable, but now the font size can be animated directly within the text Inspector. It's a start and I think it's a very important one.

I think it's just in this update that it's been introduced, but I'm not sure. Can anyone who hasn't updated yet confirm/dispel this?

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: grammar

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 22:18 #23477

• grailz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 20
"If they did offer a paid update before addressing some of the problems relating to stuff introduced in the first release then I'd have issues. I paid for FCPX when it was, pontentially (sic) powerful, but very limited in features, and even then they were in a certain state. That state was incomplete and since then they have added features and done many fixes. But overlooking what they have added, that I never paid for, what I have already paid for isn't complete yet, and I don't want to pay again until it is.

I'd see it as immoral for them to charge until the initial state is complete and working, there may even be legal issues, but that's well beyond my knowledge to know for sure."

Can you explain a little bit more what you mean by this?

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 22:25 #23479

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Of course, no problem.

When FCPX first got released I loved the look of it and seen massive potential. That combined with Apple eventually going proper 64bit made me decide to eventually switch to Mac. I used Apple computers a lot pre/early Mac days so not really switch, perhaps more change back in a way.

But if you look today at FCPX compared to what it was when it was first released it's came on masses for sure. They were hit very early with the customer pressure of adding multi cam editing etc. Which is great but it's not what I bought, and the feature set that I bought still doesn't work properly. It is getting there slowly but everything else that relates to bringing back the customers is taking priority.

I don't have a problem with that, I understand it. I'm just saying that if they want to charge me again before what I bought works properly then I'll have issues.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: grammar

10.08 released!! 30 Mar 2013 23:34 #23480

• El Cuajinais
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

NocoDave wrote: I don't have a problem with that, I understand it. I'm just saying that if they want to charge me again before what I bought works properly then I'll have issues.

Seems like the fact that they sold it for $300 instead of the more expensive prices of the other NLE's (including FCP7) has had no bearing on the feeling of "incompleteness" for the pros. Makes sense, since Apple basically discontinued their "complete" version.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 03:03 #23481

• Julian
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Does it really seem like Apple would charge for a 10.1 update? I don't think they are that stupid, that would really piss everyone off even more and they would lose some of the supporters they already have. These supporters are also the people that will buy the new MacPro when it's finally released.

Based on the way they are going with their other software updates I would believe that FCPX updates will be free for a very long time. OSX is basically free when they update it now, iOS updates are free, as are other updates.

I could only see them charging for an update if they made another dramatic change like they did from 7 to X.

FCPX isn't really about the money, it's more about their "ecosystem" and "halo effect" that get's people to buy more hardware.

But who knows...

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 06:22 #23485

• cgbier
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53

FCPX isn't really about the money, it's more about their "ecosystem" and "halo effect" that get's people to buy more hardware.

Looking at the low prices of their apps, I think you have a very strong argument there.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 06:31 #23486

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
I think the next FCPX major feature update will have to do with making money by selling MacPros, not paid FCPX updates.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 06:41 #23487

• cgbier
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
I remember an interview in which was mentioned that Jobs wanted to have the original FCP as a giveaway with PowerMacs - kinda lIke iMovie in the "consumer" Macs.

The supplied software, and the price for the "pro" apps have always been a strong selling point for Apple's hardware IMHO.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 08:00 #23490

• Soundwise
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Here's a direct quote from the FCP X EULA:

"B. Apple, at its discretion, may make available future upgrades or updates to the Apple Software for your Apple-branded computer. Any such upgrades or updates (if any) to the Apple Software will be available only through the Mac App Store and will require an Apple ID and Mac App Store account. Apple may provide you any such upgrades and updates that it may release up to, but not including, the next major release of the Apple Software, for free. With respect to this Apple Software, for example, if you originally purchased a license for version 10.0 of the Apple Software, Apple may provide you for free any software upgrades or updates it might release (e.g. version 10.0.1 or 10.0.2) up to, but not including, version 10.1 of the Apple Software. After the next major release of the Apple Software, Apple may also at its discretion continue to provide minor updates and enhancements to the Apple Software. Upgrades and updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Apple releases for newer models of Apple-branded computers and may, at Apple’s discretion, be provided with or without charge. The terms of this License will govern any software upgrades provided by Apple that replace and/or supplement the original Apple Software product, unless such upgrade is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern."

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 09:27 #23491

• Julian
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Well then let's hope they make it to 10.0.99

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 09:42 #23492

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd be more than happy to never have to pay for an FCPX update again, but if a 10.0.9 update cleaned up everything that exists, for me that is mostly animation related, and gave a rock solid fully working version of what we have I'd be fine with a paid 10.1 version.

But if not and the 10.1 version was what taken it to rock solid that would suck. It would be like having paid for the beta version and paying again for it in a fully working state.

I'd like the full working state I already paid for before any more money is considered.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: grammar/typos

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 12:46 #23495

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I guess I'm a bit more pragmatic about it than some of you.

I look at the amount of money I've made off FCPX in the past year, warts and all; that $299 investment seems infinitesimally small.

So I'd be happy to make it again. Especially when a paid update would be sure to come with lots of new features and functionality.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 12:58 #23496

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
My history may well not be accurate here. But I remember, as many of us will, when it became acceptable to sell products that never worked properly and fix them as complaints came in.

To me it speaks Microsoft, I don't know that they started it, but it is all over them. Hardware configuration is a real issue in todays world and we might not have advanced so far so fast without it being that way.

I just think there are limits, and if the larger companies think there aren't we have problems.

I'll buy something that works, or I'll buy something that I feel confident will be made to work under this update premise. But to buy something that doesn't work yet, and be put in a position at a later date to be offered to buy it again before what was initially purchased was complete, I think is pushing it.

Were not in that position as yet, so hoping for the best.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 13:12 #23497

• El Cuajinais
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

cseeman wrote: If you're agonizing over FCPX's built in color grading vs Magic Bullet you might want to check out Color Grading Central. Both their FCPX and MBL tutorials are free. That might give a good sense comparison coming from a professional colorist showing how to best take advantage of either.
www.colorgradingcentral.com

Many thanks for pointing me to this website. It is an invaluable resource. I watched all the FCPX and MBL tutorials. This made the decision to put off MBL for grading natively in FCPX pretty easy:

Pros for purchasing MBL:
1. More presets

2. More powerful (90% of the time this also means a longer learning curve).

Cons for purchasing MBL:
1. It costs $200 (until today, then back to $400).

2. It is 3rd party, so compatibility issues may occur. (The $200 sale is in celebration that an issue that had been plaguing the FCPX version was finally resolved. The issue was on Apple's end but the result for the MBL end-user is the same.)

3. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming rendering would take considerably longer in MBL vs. FCPX native grading, and I'm working off a laptop. (Is this assumption correct?)

4. The tutorials on cologradingcentral.com showed me the excellent looks that can be achieved with native FCPX grading. The scopes in FCPX look cooler, though MBL has more of them.

5. It is quite possible Apple will continue to add free features/scopes to FCPX grading in the future.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 14:25 #23498

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
@NocoDave.

I've been on FCP since version 3, and there was always a laundry list of bugs and problems that carried over from version to version. But obviously, Legacy FCP wasn't being held up to a program with 10 years of maturity, like FCPX is now.

I'm curious though, what your list includes at this point? What doesn't work? What's not finished? I'm not saying I disagree, but I'm interested to see where things stand from your perspective.

10.08 released!! 31 Mar 2013 16:10 #23499

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: I'm curious though, what your list includes at this point?

TELEPATHIC INPUT!!!!

"Finished"? What application has ever been "finished"? Which NLE has no more updates coming out, is full featured, no bugs at all, and is "finished"?

Last edit: by BenB.