fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 15:35 #34069

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
Poking around in iMovie 2013 (v10) last night.

The "unified" browser makes much more sense to be the place where you access any library. Aperture, iPhoto, effects, transitions, etc. It doesn't eat as much space from your timeline. Also accessing Aperture or iPhoto library lets you see a nice little map. I could see how this could be very useful if we had GPS data in our video clips as well as photos:

Also noticed that the "pill mode" is a few pixels thinner and a cleaner in iMovie (right) than FCPX 10.0.9 (left):

Attachments:
Last edit: by tpayton.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:11 #34082

Julian wrote: I actually hope they make the next version of FCPX a paid upgrade and keep the price at $299. If it's a paid update then it's going to need to be a major update to justify the cost. If it costs less than $299 then it will be even tougher to sell as professional. At this point "professional" perception is a big part of what needs to happen with the next version. It would be great if they would do some sort of keynote showing it off, even if it's just on their campus and added to Apple TV.

Resolve Lite is free, it's really professional. So much so that I still haven't scratched the surface of what you can do with it. You even get the full version when you buy the $2K cinema camera, which makes that camera cost $1K. This software back when the term "tape to tape color correction" was used, cost $100K. Now it's free, and still just as professional.

Apple is the first company that made it intentionally easy to loan their software to someone else. Avid you needed a dongle, Adobe you need to jump through so many hacking hoops to illegally steal it. FCP took over for a while because aspiring editors could muck around with it at their own pace, but they had to have access to a mac that could run it. Making the software easy to beg, borrow, and steal was part of the plan. (Steve Jobs said "You need a really big dongle to run our apps.")

Apple wants to sell mac pros at $3K-$10K each. You could buy a retina macbook pro for the price of a three year Creative Cloud subscription and still be able to sell it for a decent amount of money when that time is up.

The current perception of FCPX is still generally pretty bad. It takes a very long time to turn around a first impression and I can't imagine they would further that by charging more.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:23 #34083

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 36

Darren Roark wrote: You could buy a retina macbook pro for the price of a three year Creative Cloud subscription and still be able to sell it for a decent amount of money when that time is up.

Now that is a quote a like !

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:27 #34084

• finalbug.net
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 15
@tpayton

That little discovery of your just makes me want to jump over the moon. Like imagine editing a Road movie and being able to sort all your material with the help of a map! I guess it is only a matter of time… but I want this kind of functionality yesterday :-)

Am I allowed to swear in here?

It is just so bloody obvious :silly:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:29 #34085

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67

CBlakeston wrote: As a side note - I caught up with a filmmaker friend yesterday and asked him what he used to edit with. He said FCP still as FCPX is like 'a babies toy' and how he was waiting on 10.1 as that will be the pro version.

I certainly get that impression a lot from people, but don't understand the thinking? While 10.1 may be a major update it's not going to change the game? If you didn't like FCPX before I don't see how you could suddenly take to a newer version? It's not like Apple will be like - timelines are back - you didn't really think we were serious about magnetic clips did you?

:) Yeah, people who are expecting some all-new version with tracks or something are probably going to be disappointed. If they don't like the magnetic timeline, there are plenty of other good options... :P

The funny thing is, Other than the timeline, I actually find X works more like FCP 7 than Premiere does. This despite Adobe's clear attempt to shoehorn FCP 7 functionality into Premiere. Pr is a fine NLE. Way too fiddly for my taste though...
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:37 #34086

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

paurray wrote: @tpayton

That little discovery of your just makes me want to jump over the moon.

Actually you can see the locations in FCP 10.0.9 already, just not on a nice little map:

Attachments:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:44 #34087

jjsanderson wrote: No, I wouldn't believe either of those reasons either. But I might go with option 3: they don't have a mechanism for charging for updates in the App Store. Rolling out a whole new app (and keeping the current version around for those who don't wish to pay again) wouldn't be an elegant solution: they're not going to have 'FCPX 10.0.0' and 'FCPX 10.1' alongside each other in the Store, surely?

If you've already paid for an app on the appStore, whether it's available in the appStore anymore or not, it will continue to be downloadable via your "Purchased" tab.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 19:49 #34088

CBlakeston wrote: As a side note - I caught up with a filmmaker friend yesterday and asked him what he used to edit with. He said FCP still as FCPX is like 'a babies toy' and how he was waiting on 10.1 as that will be the pro version.

You should really be calling people on comments like that. How much have they worked with the program, etc... I tend to find most of these negative comments continue to come from people with little (or no) actual time in front of it. Or they're just repeating what another guy in their office has said, who also probably doesn't have much "hands-on" time with FCPX.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:05 #34089

• finalbug.net
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 15
Actually you can see the locations in FCP 10.0.9 already, just not on a nice little map:

thanks, good to know

With respect to the geolocation thing

One of the stupidest edit situations I ever had:

A conference that took place in a number of tents on a piece of land.

Lets call it 3 tents.

Tent A, B and C all on different parts of this piece of land.

The way it was filmed?

First walk about outside and get an establishing shot of the exterior of tent A, B and C.

Then film the speakers inside the respective tents A, B and C with cutaways. BUT and here is the catch not in that order. It could be interior tent A, interior tent A, interior tent B, interior tent A, interior tent C, interior tent B, interior tent A etc

The way it was edited

Decide which speaker was first up for the edit!

Figure out which tent he was in!

Look in walk about material for his tent and find the exterior establishing shot!

Look in material for interior shots of tent A with the required speaker, speaking.

Need a cut away of people nodding approvingly in his tent?

Look for cutaways in tent A whilst he was speaking!

No cut aways whilst he was speaking, what the hell look for other cutaways in tent A whilst other people are speaking in tent A that you can edit in instead, it is after all the same tent…

Repeat and rinse.

Like if I could just sort my material according to location and if I have a time plan for who speaks when…

I know this is a very specific example but I could come up with any number of other examples where this kind of functionality would be seriously cool and it is not even rocket science!!!

It is just a Database after all :blink:
Last edit: by finalbug.net.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:17 #34090

Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
You should really be calling people on comments like that. How much have they worked with the program, etc... I tend to find most of these negative comments continue to come from people with little (or no) actual time in front of it. Or they're just repeating what another guy in their office has said, who also probably doesn't have much "hands-on" time with FCPX.

^^ This. I absolutely 100% agree.
I filmed a car show recently and stumbled upon a couple of guys shooting their own video at the time. As ever, I was intrigued to swap notes on work flows quickly.
One was cutting on Premiere and the other on FCP 7. When they asked what I cut in, I answered honestly "at work we cut in FCP 7, and as a free lancer I cut in FCPX..." And then I waited, and sure enough one of them shook their head and said something along the lines of "I can't stand FCPX, it's like a kids toy in comparison to Premiere..." So, naturally I pressed him for more info "how so?" I asked. "Oh, you just can't do half the things you need to do to put a 'real' edit together" he replied with a smirk, his pal nodding in approval at his side. To which I enquired "...like what, for example?..." To which he replied with a sigh, and a rather long pause with some ums and ahs, and then claimed that FCPX was "just so so much slower than Premiere!". Which was interesting, because just seconds prior to this comment, he'd claimed that FCPX didn't let you do 'half of what you need to do' etc. and now he can't elaborate on the specifics of this, and instead chooses to jump on the performance band wagon. I could've stayed and argued all day, but he clearly hadn't even touched FCPX, let alone spend the time to actually learn it.
It's equally frustrating and satisfying when you realise that someone's hating on a product that they've never even used before...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:17 #34091

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

CBlakeston wrote: 'a babies toy'.

I think I know where this "baby's toy" comes from. You see I made a broadcast spot for the North American launch of a toy for a certain toy reseller in the US (the biggest one) and the spot was edited in FCPX (and even audio sweetened in there). I can see the confusion with "toys for boys" and "baby's toy".

And then there was the time that the same toy reseller called back and asked for a quote on making a series of spots for baby strollers and other "baby" products.

That was it. So sorry. My bad.
Last edit: by tpayton.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:23 #34092

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It should be noted that obviously Apple is targeting the "Cat video" crowd with their Final Cut in Action series:

www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/

In the lastest one on "Azteca". Only non professional editors are fooled by it, thinking that they edit shows for broadcast. It is really just a company that makes Mexican Cat videos. When you unscramble Azteca, it reads "Cat Eza" which, as everyone knows, is one of the more famous cats on YouTube.

The cat was literally let out of the bag when some documentary editors created those "Final Cat Pro" tools. I mean really. That name just says it all.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:31 #34093

I've been out of it for almost a week with the flu- so I'm just catching up on a bunch of the news and chatter around here.

First a couple of interesting points from by way of Alex's research.

First, not sure if it was part of one of the articles, but in a tweet Alex mentioned that in iMovie 2013, when you play a clip in an event, it will play thru to the NEXT clip, vs just looping playback of the same clip over and over. I would love to see this ported over to X, because then each keyword collection or view of clips becomes a continuous stream of media you can FF or RW thru.

Also, one of the things mention in Alex's second article, "Snapshots" of a Project. I think this may well be a way to keep several versions of the same Project WITHIN that Project (a "saved state" as it were)- and could possibly end the need to be constantly duplicating and creating new versions of the same Project timeline.

And as I look at the calendar, I think we're maybe 3 or 4 weeks away from the release. We know both the MacPro and FCPX are coming in December, and I'd find it tough to believe Apple will release anything after the first 2 weeks. So if we're lucky it will be December 3rd, or maybe a week later on the 10th. Any later that that and I think it's just too close to the holidays.

The only heads up we'll get is if the MacPro goes up for preorder, with a firm ship date. If that's going to happen, it should be in a week or two.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:33 #34094

tpayton wrote: I think I know where this "baby's toy" comes from.

I know EXACTLY where it comes from. The appearance. It looks gummy, like it's made out of candy. It doesn't LOOK professional. You can argue all you want but it's true, it looks kind of silly and people do judge on first impressions (and books by their cover) which is why it was a HUGE mistake for Apple to release it as they initially did. Yes Apple does make mistakes... I can't believe it either!!! I think if they go the minimalist route for the timeline graphics a lot of that feeling will go away. Fortunately minimalism is very much en-vogue right now, just look at iOS7 and countless other things that are being redesigned with a less-glossy/more flat look without shading, etc.
Last edit: by Redifer.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 20:38 #34095

Apple certainly paired down the "chome" of the UI for LogicX, and iMovie 2013 seems to confirm that trend.

"Gloss" will be gone, or very much minimized. And rounded rectangles are getting sharpened.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Nov 2013 22:48 #34101

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
I've had folks locally asking me if they should buy FCP X now, or wait for the paid update. My reply is, no one knows if the update for 10.1 will be paid or not. So to be safe, get the 30 day free trial, and purchase when 10.1 is released.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Nov 2013 01:11 #34111

Undeniably the smart move. To buy now would just be tempting fate.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Nov 2013 16:27 #34273

This just occurred to me: if the next release of FCPX is delivered free of charge, but is nevertheless a significant update, it might be wise for those of us who are in the middle of projects to ensure automatic App Store updates are disabled.

This is a new feature of Mavericks (I think), and you'll find it in System Preferences → App Store → Install app updates. It's probably something editors should have turned off anyway. Worth checking.

I've a big documentary project in its final stages over the next few weeks, and the last thing I want is for a new version of FCPX to break plugins or affect my edited sequences.

This has been a public service announcement etc etc.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Nov 2013 16:49 #34276

Menu items from Alex's, "Final Cut Pro X 10.1 Revealed?" post-

"In Final Cut Pro 10.1 and later, projects and events are contained in a library.

" Click Update All to create a new library for the projects and events on each connected hard disk."
" Click Update Later to skip the update process for now."
" Click Locate to manually create a library for a specific hard disk, folder, or SAN location."

"Review the newly created libraries and confirm your projects and events are intact before emptying the trash."
"To skip copying your Projects and Events into the Library, click Ignore. (You may import them later.)"

"Copied Projects and Events can still be opened in earlier versions of %@. To copy your Projects and Events, click OK." [parts of text that include @ characters can be replaced by the app depending on the context. In this case the text would be 'iMovie' or 'Final Cut Pro']

"You are editing clips between libraries."
"You are editing compound clips or multicam clips between libraries"

"The Library must contain at least one Event"

All this seems to indicate that there will be an update process to take 10.0.X Projects and Events and merge them into 10.1's new Library structure. To me, it looks like you can tell FCPX to update all your Projects/Events into Libraries, OR you can opt out and do it manually. It also looks to me like there an option to create a Library out of a COPY of an existing Project/Event.

Of course, the prudent thing to do would be to back up a Project/Event before attempting to transfer it to the new file structure. Just to be safe.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Nov 2013 17:32 #34278

I'm curious to know where Alex is getting this. Certainly the new iMovie requires a library update of old projects and events. The new libraries cannot be imported into the current version of FCP. I assume this will change in the next version.