• Page:

TOPIC: LogicPro x and FCPx issues !!

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 18:15 #38416

• Dimitri
  • Dimitri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks. Today, I bought Logic Pro X, it's obviously the latest version, 10.0.5 ! But although I found some tutorials of how to import XML files from fcpx to lpx ... the user interface of LP has changed in this version. If you want to import and XMLfile into Logic, you don't see the option "FCPro XML" under the filemenu in Logic. So... what's next? I tried to open an XMLfile directly to LogicPro and that works ... but not all the tracks did make the yourney to Logic. Frustrating. So .. is there anyone who knows the answer ... because now, I have the impression that the workflow between FCPx 10.1. and LPx 10.0.5 isn't so promising .. I hope this is a wrong perception... Still believing in both software packages .. rather than using Adobe Audition. But .. I have to find a solution on this XML matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 18:31 #38422

• cinemaloha
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 18:33 #38423

• cinemaloha
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36

fcpguru wrote: I brought my video via the media browser and it seemed to work ok (although it was at 44.1Khz for some reason)

1. Export Master file and I selected to export the roles as a multitrack quicktime movie.

2. I selected to add the file to the media browser after the export was done.

3. In Logic, the project file appeared in the media browser. When i brought it in, it detected the multitracks and brought them in as well.

Works for the time being I suppose. Honestly, still just learning the app!

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 18:37 #38425

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Your best bet is using X2Pro. Logic Pro X is still very buggy with FCPXML. And since musicians are the main target market of LPX, I don't think they're putting a ton of resources on this issue at the moment.

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 18:59 #38436

• Dimitri
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi BenB ... it's indeed a buggy situation ... Apple has to learn now something from Adobe ... because Audition and Premiere is a fluently workflow. But I don't use Premiere (don't want to). But what you suggested using X2pro seems a solution .. but ..then I have to buy another software package, Avid Pro Tools. And now it's almost becoming a buggy "financial" situation. It's very weird to discover a lot of video producers don't make so much complaints concerning the integrated sound solution within FCPx. It's good for basic tasks .. but for real mixing .. it isn't sufficient enough. Video editing is something else than audio editing. So ... why Apple doesn't come yet with a impressive solution for this matter. I hoped that LogicPro X would deal with this need... but again .. it isn't. In the professional world ... even for solely video editors ... this is not a good sign of Apple. FCPx is an amazing fine package, with 10.1, a giant leap forwards. But .. sound editing with faders ... auch .. still a painful missing link. Very very strange for that company in Cupertino, isn't it ?

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 19:23 #38441

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Fill out the Logic Pro feedback form and tell them how important this is. Fill out the FCPX feedback form, also. The more folks who speak up, the greater the chances are that this issue moves up the priority ladder.

Consider this, the FCP dev team has a limited number of programmers. They can only add in so many new features at a time. And they're trying to make FCPX as approachable and easy to use as possible. There could be a list of hundreds of new things to add on their To-Do list. They have to prioritize, and do them one at a time. Giving us updates every 3 months as their target is not being lazy at all.

Consider also that the guys at X2Pro only work on one thing, X2Pro, and that's it. They're not also trying to develop multicam systems, stabilization systems, media management systems, etc, etc, all at the same time.

I understand it from their perspective. But I also need a better audio solution, too. Then there is the reality of writing programming code versus editing. It is a tough situation to be in. But I do know that solutions are coming, just no clue when, or where things are on the FCP dev team, or the LPX dev team priority lists. I'm sure FCPX users are the smallest group of LPX users around. So, we're not going to get a lot of priority.

Fill out the feedback pages, encourage your friends to do the same. See if we can make some noise. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 19:32 #38444

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
"but ..then I have to buy another software package, Avid Pro Tools."

No you don't. Logic X opens X2Pro AAF's perfectly. If you're doing this in house, you can just get the "light" LE version. It doesn't trim the master files so the AAF will be huge, but that not an issue unless you need to send files out for finish. In that case, get the more feature heavy Pro version... :-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 19:57 #38451

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
It's possible that since X2Pro exists, the FCPX devs aren't putting as much time into its audio interchange capabilities. It's a solution that works today, and works fine. I think at some point, FCPX will do swallow what X2Pro does (IMO this should have been there day 1). 90% of the time if you're going out for audio, it will be to a Pro Tools session. But I agree, it looks bad that the interchange with Logic Pro X is spotty, even though you will almost never run into a situation in the real world where a post sound house is using it. It's more of a solution for a one-man situation similar to Audition/Premiere.

There's always room for improvement, but I don't think the way FCPX handles sound is bad at all for an NLE. It has some very sensible defaults like loudness and noise/hum removal and its handling of sub-frame edits is quick and easy.

Last edit: by haysoos123.

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 19:58 #38452

• Dimitri
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Ben. I follow your opinion to make some noise, in a positive way off course. And again, thanks, I gave up my trials and errors using xml-exchange from fpcx to logic ... I downloaded X2ProLE .. and this amazing fact .. it works with Logic Pro x ! Just adding a the videofile without sound and everything works as it should be. Now, we're in the mix. :) I love FCPx and the workflow of it ... and now it's time to discover Logic as my audio mix buddy. Days and weeks of working on my showreel of visual effects and 3D animation ... will have an audio treatment now. Yihaa. :)

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 20:03 #38455

• Dimitri
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Haysoos123. I agree... the filters and effects in FCPx are very good. But there is still a need of working with virtual faders and working with a more advanced visual way of the audiotracks. Also, for fine mixing and crossfadings ... fcpx can't beat (yet) a real dedicated audio package for those things. But, again, I believe in Apple and in their efforts to build an impressive video/audio solution for a new kind of editors .. not the old-fashioned way of many production houses. ;-)

LogicPro x and FCPx issues !! 08 Jan 2014 20:06 #38456

• Dimitri
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
fcpguru. I tried it your way .. but that's a bumpy road to follow ... working with roles .. normally it's not necessary anymore with the new Logic. I got the advice here in this forum to work with X2ProLe (App store) and it works perfect, as well with Pro Tools as with LogicPro. So go for it .. it's the fastest and "reliable" way for multitrack-mixing of your footage.

• Page: