fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nesting Compound Clips and Storylines- how many levels deep?

Nesting Compound Clips and Storylines- how many levels deep? 26 Jun 2014 11:03 #48533

• eco_bach
  • eco_bach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, my first major project involving nested Compound Clips and I'm going a bit wonky.

My understanding is that you can Create Compound Clips out of anything in your project. And that Compound Clips can contain Compound Clips which can contain....

so

CompoundClip > CompoundClip > CompoundClip >CompoundClip etc

Sort of like PreComps in AfterEffects...

Secondary story lines can't directly contain other Secondary Storylines, BUT, you can create a Compound Clip from a Secondary StoryLine, which in turn can be turned into yet another Secondary Storline, etc

so

SecondaryStoryline > CompoundClip > SecondaryStoryline > CompoundClip etc

Am I correct so far?

The logical question is, how many levels deep can-should you nest and, what are the performance penalties with increased nesting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nesting Compound Clips and Storylines- how many levels deep? 26 Jun 2014 13:21 #48536

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Technically, there isn't a limit to nesting CCs.
Practically, you want as few as possible, because they do tend to tax the system quite a bit.

Nesting Compound Clips and Storylines- how many levels deep? 26 Jun 2014 15:03 #48548

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

The logical question is ...

... what practical use would have such a … weird methodology???

compounds are no replacement for 'tracks' ... *
tags/roles replace tracks.

If you want to create complex compos, why not use AE? ;)

* and not for Multicam … saw just your [url=http://http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/20604-multicam-with-single-camera-multiple-take-shoots]other post[/url] - you make things really complicated by forcing FCPX to your 'habitual' workflows!

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

Nesting Compound Clips and Storylines- how many levels deep? 16 Sep 2020 17:30 #110065

• galtomasum
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Dusting off this old thread.

My friend (not an experienced user) used 3 levels of nested clips in a short project. Includes several keyframed shape masks and some chroma keying (re-creating the keyboard scene from the movie Big - lighting up the keys when they're stepped on). He misunderstood a suggestion and thought he needed to nest clips to get those effects. It was definitely slowing his system down but he struggled through. Made the mistake of updating FCPX to 10.4.9 in the middle of the project and now it just beachballs as soon as he opens the library and clicks any clip.

He sent me his library to see if I could open it but I get the same issue,

All I'd like to do is get the timeline and lowest level compound clips open to copy them to a new library. I think that's the route to go. Will mean losing some work but I don't see another option.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to do something like this?

• Page: