I thought I'd post a little workflow tutorial responding to a problem that was mentioned on a private FCP X forum.
The poster had the following issue:
"RELINKING PROXY MEDIA
I moved a job folder (with external media) from one drive to another. I was able to relink the original footage fine. But the proxy media is not relinking. Please don't tell me I have to re-generate all that proxy media."
The answer is: you don't need to re-generate the proxy media, nor do you need to relink anything when you move an FCP X job folder to a different drive, as long as you use the media management tools inside FCP X and you don't drag any FCP X media folders from one drive onto another in the Finder.
- When you create a Library and you keep all the original and generated media managed inside the Library, you can easily move the entire job to a different drive. All you need to do is drag or copy the Library to the new drive and everything will be fine because all your assets are contained within the Library.
- But when you keep all your original and generated media external to the Library in a dedicated job folder, dragging the job folder to a different drive using Finder can cause path corruptions in the Library database, specifically with proxy media.
That's why the following workflow is advised for moving external media to a different drive:
I have created a "MOVE TEST" Library that is stored on the system drive. I have set the Library storage settings so that all the Media and the Cache files are kept outside of the Library, in a "MOVE TEST MEDIA" job folder which is also stored on the system drive:
As you can see I have created Optimized and proxy media from the imported clips, and I have rendered clips on the timeline:
Here you see the "MOVE TEST MEDIA" job folder on my system drive with the original media, the generated media (optimized and proxy files) and the cache (render) files of the Library inside it:
Now I want to move the Library and the external job folders to my external MEDIASERVER drive.
1. I create a new "MEDIA MOVED" (or whatever) folder on my MEDIASERVER drive, then I select the Library in the FCP X browser and I click the Modify Settings button in the Inspector to change the Media and Cache locations to this new folder:
When I click OK I get a message asking if I also want to include the render files (Cache):
2. Then I press the Consolidate button to copy all the media and cache files to the new location. I choose to include the optimized and proxy media. When the media have been consolidated I can see the Library now is linked to my "MEDIA MOVED"job folder on the external drive:
3. Now all I need to do is move the Library from my system drive to the external drive (that can be done in Finder). Then I can delete the original "MOVE TEST MEDIA" job folder from my system drive and open the Library from my external drive in FCP X. All media are linked correctly, including the Proxy media (screenshot shows the media playing in Proxy mode):
While it takes some time to explain, this workflow really is very fast and you never need to relink anything.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown on moving a library with proxies. Now what if I want to copy a library with proxies and have both drives be identical in that they can both switch back and forth between Original RAW Red and proxies?