Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Jan 2015 21:30 #58846

• freeform
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes, Protools is the post standard , because it's been 'pro' the longest (mainly because of hardware DSP plugins which are not necessary anymore) and big mixing board connectivity.... and another major reason is because most studios already bought this a long time ago and are not investing in upgrades any more... Cause they're broke!

That said, LogicPro is more then capable to do post and in some ways better.. I use it for Indy productions all the time and run sometimes 50+ tracks and 100+ Plugins easily - something ProTools might chock on my old ma pro because LPX is better cpu optimized... Best there is for that.

All imho
R
Last edit: by freeform.
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Jan 2015 18:06 #58880

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Nice conversation between Sam Mestman and Alex Golner- "Alex4D and Apple's code of silence"

wemakemovies.org/2015/01/wmm-film-centra...ast-03-alex-gollner/

The more I've thought on this, the more I think that the most important benefit of increased Apple communication is Apple taking better control of the conversation around Final Cut, and driving the message about their philosophy and goals, just like they do with pretty much all of their other products.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Jan 2015 18:40 #58883

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
That was a great conversation they had, and made me think about that too.

I actually don't mind that they remain silent. Maybe I've drank too much of apples "kool-aid", but, all evidence says they are listening to what our needs are, and that is all I need. Things may not happen as fast as I like (what does), but I think the product speaks for itself.

The future looks very bright to me.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Jan 2015 18:36 #58933

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
AppleTV 7.0.3 Update today
iOS 8.1.3 Update today
OSX 10.10.2 Update today
FCPX????
Last edit: by daviddelreal.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Feb 2015 18:57 #59699

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

JPM Editor wrote:
I think it is more than a mere coincidence, since FCPX is really tied to the OS in general. Of course, Apple can't force all FCPX users to update to a new OS yearly. But the general impression is that both, the OS and FCPX move forward together in a synchronized way.

Bringing back an old topic here. B)

Alex Gollner just published and interesting article about the relationship between FCPX and OS X. It's worth a read!

alex4d.com/notes/item/apple-os-development-and-fcpx
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Feb 2015 07:28 #59709

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

JPM Editor wrote: …Alex Gollner just published and interesting article about the relationship between FCPX and OS X. It's worth a read!…

Very interesting, indeed! THANKS for sharing!!

What shocks me to some degree is …

…you've passed that two and a half months of typical development time…

10 weeks??? I could to clean up my garage, in such a time-frame ... LOL :woohoo:

And, I guess, what amateurs like me do forget:
it isn't just one app to be programmed - everything is connected with everything, somehow - how on earth can you check all those dependencies ?? Your colleagues from iTunes dept., LogicX, i/o APIs, AVFoundation... they are busy too!

I bow my head to engineering - but I'm a lil' more impressed by 'organizing' such a thing. My largest projects on job involved ~50 people, spread across, say, 5-6 diff. departments .. over a 6 month period... that was complicated (for me ;) ) But programming FCPX, and weave it into MacOS and all its incarnations in 10 weeks??? ... OMG!

Awesome!
Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Feb 2015 10:07 #59716

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
We all know that FCPX benefits from all the technologies inside OS X in a way that the competition just can't: Avid, Adobe and Blackmagic can't rely too much on a particular OS, because their software is cross-platform and has to work on Windows as well as on the Mac.

But at the same time, the yearly cycle in the OS X development (adopted since 10.9 Mavericks) might be getting in the way of FCPX own development path, as Alex's article points out.

Is it really necessary to introduce a brand new OS every year? It might be the trend in mobile platforms (iOS), but is it truly beneficial for desktop computing? Where is this accelerated journey taking the MacOS?
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Feb 2015 11:59 #59719

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Apple doesn't introduce a "brand new" OS every year, just an update to the OS technologies we already have. The core technologies do not change year to year, but get refined and added to. Apps make system calls to the OS to do things. There is a published catalog the app developers can use. So coordinating between them all is pretty simple. One thing OS X is doing well is standardizing libraries across applications. They're all using the same library type, so it will be easy for each app dev team to access data from each others apps. It's not all that difficult. The difficult part is actually writing the code.

As OSX's AVFoundation gains new features, apps are able to access them and evolve more. But the existing features don't really change that much. The single big change that was disruptive was moving from Quicktime to AVFoundation for processing (QT will be around for awhile for playback, which is trivial). And I hope we're seeing the tail end of that.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Feb 2015 12:06 #59720

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for your contribution, Ben. I appreciate your insights and your deep knowledge of the Mac OS and ProApps. It takes the discussion to a whole other level!
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Feb 2015 18:24 #59732

• rgpearson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm putting my money on the Feb 27th Focus release date for a new FCPX version. That should be enough time to build buzz going into NAB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 13 Feb 2015 18:52 #59736

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

rgpearson wrote: I'm putting my money on the Feb 27th Focus release date for a new FCPX version. That should be enough time to build buzz going into NAB.

Would love that!

But I'm afraid there is enough buzz going on already!

Mike Matzdorff's book about the post-production of Focus will be out by then, along with a detailed article in the outdated FCPX In Action page!

Also, there are a lot of great stuff to look forward at the FCPWORKS suite in the Renaissance Hotel this NAB!

Of course, we can never get enough! But I think we have many things to be excited about in the FCPX community. Of course, an update before NAB makes all the sense in the world to me! But we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Very interesting times ahead!
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 05:31 #59783

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
What Alex4d did not discuss and I commented to Sam Mestman about this after listening to the podcast is that it seems there are 2 Apple Inc's, one public, that is iOS/OSX and the other Pro Apps.

Alex and Sam discussed the blessing of the Pro Apps, what I do not understand is why is iOS/OSX so public in the upcoming releases? We get previews with the developers releases.. We see what Apple iOS/OSX divisions are planning in updates yet the Pro Apps is mute, not a word...Why??

Once you hit publish, the twin A's are going to see it, so it is no longer private, it is protected by patents law, this could be extended into pre-public or developer releases..

It is logical in many ways to have an idea of what is needed, a survey of what do you as the users of the software want fixed? A ranking system, if they use the feedback page to gauge importance of fixes, this has to be a slow outdated outmoded not fit for purpose way of working.

How can the coding team know what to do when? What is important to who? The last 10.1.3 to 10.1.4 was aimed at a very narrow range of users, most of the tiny faults within the app was left unfixed... Why???

My needs might not be the same as FCPWorks, or Ripple Training or the BBC/CNN or Universal, I can bet that there are very common annoyances with the user interface.
If iOS/OSX releases "public" beta's why not with Pro Apps? I can understand fully Pro Apps being a tad shy given the disaster of 10.0.x series launch...

Yet they carry on in the same old tired way.. We joke about dates of releases, count the days as a sport, this has to be embarrassing for the folks at Pro Apps, the counting of days is a subtle form of mockery.

The code of silence has zero importance now we have the 10.1 series.. The only what makes sense to me for the continued silence is that 10.1 is a disaster and that the 10.2 or 11 or whatever replaces the 10.1 series is so advanced they dare not mention it..If that is the case then fully I understand, if nothing is replacing 10.1 series, and we are only adding to this with tiny updates, then why the silence?

Alex4D was correct with his assessment that FCPX/Logic is not an app, it is in fact par with iOS/OSX, it is way more than just an app, with the ecosystem of users, trainers, developers. I am sure Apple has 2 way communication with 2 thirds of the ecosystem, the trainers and developers, Apple has very little 2 way with users? Why?

The Public Relations department of any huge corporation should be the face of the business, have accessible methods to contact, it is easier to contact the martians on Mars than it is Apple...

If I feedback an issue, it should be important, it should not in every case, but if the situation warrants, then a short 2nd stage reply sent back to me, asking for further details, maybe a list of solutions if needed, the feedback page with it's fixed limit of characters does not suffice..

If Apple did really care about Pro Apps, which I cannot see they do, then surely minor updates could be released at least twice a month, to fix minor issues, such as the use of comma instead of point in the inspector values,annoying. That sort of thing, or the fixing of the Snapshots naming scheme, the repeating of time and date...Minor but highly annoying.

Many of the over 100 feedbacks I have sent since last year are tiny, 2 hour to code, a sort of if x is this then do y..Example, highlight a range of keyframes, now they have the "focus" of the operating system, then delete should take precedence, not the complex sequence of keystrokes.. The app can handle this...A 2 hour recode, publish, cross off the list...If users want the old method, change in preferences..

The moral is that we accept and welcome public announcements with the iOS/OSX developments, but we remain as mute about Pro Apps...again why??

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 08:48 #59787

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

MsJustine wrote: …Many of the over 100 feedbacks I have sent since last year are tiny, 2 hour to code, …

Holy maloli! … taking into consideration, that …

N.Kadner wrote: "…That’s right, when you “Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback” within FCPX itself or via this feedback form, actual human beings on the other end read it. For a while, I was one of those humans on the other end.…"

… I assume the reaction on the other side of the wire, when reading 'from:MsJustine' could be only …

SCNR!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 08:55 #59788

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Well if Apple FCP X Dev team or the Apple FCP X Public Relations department had bothered to email me, which I assume they have access to email, after all my email address is part and parcel of the feedback page, then I would not have sent in over 100 tiny requests but 1 long multi page PDF with graphics.

The double face-palm is that of Apple Dev, we stuffed up with the outdated feedback page and MsJustine just called us on it.. We have earned it by not listening to her request to update the 1980 era 8bit feedback page.
Last edit: by MsJustine.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 13:49 #59794

• Makki
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
FCPS is gone, Aperture is gone, iPhoto is gone, FCPX is...... soon we will have Photos and Movies. From the pessimist corner :(
Last edit: by Makki.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 15:29 #59797

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Classic FCP is still used very widely, Aperture hasn't stopped working, the Photos beta is already much more advanced than iPhoto ever was and FCP X will continue to surprise us. From the realist corner :)

- Ronny
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 15:50 #59798

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
"Photos beta is already much more advanced than iPhoto"

Why do you say that? Not sure what's in Photos that's not in iPhoto, and I hear about what's missing in Photos. It looks like Photos ported from iOS.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 15:50 #59799

• Makki
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Thanks Ronny, I was just looking for answer like that, some kind of therapy. You made me optimistic again :)

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:03 #59802

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
I'm using beta Photos now, Tom and Ronnie has it right on the money.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:13 #59806

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Yet the feedback page is from Apple IIe days..