Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:27 #59808

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
The feedback page works just fine, there's nothing outdated about it. If there is, please explain how a modern feedback system would actually work.
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:37 #59809

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I have sent FCP X the issues I have with the feedback page, and no it simply is not up to modern communication. It is not a 64bit page, it is limited to 1024 or thereabouts characters. Which is not enough characters, so I resort to clumsy screen grabs and using preview arrows and text to indicate an issue..

A modern feedback page would have the ability to attach video/screen grabs, audio comments if need be and be at least able to handle +1024 characters.

Actually come to think about the feedback page should be linked to your Apple ID that was used to install FCP X, so if you feedback from within FCP X for example, or any Apple Pro App, it sends a system report of your system instead of that annoying drop down lists, which I fill in once I feel inclined, as I feedback so often, as Karsten pointed out with the face-palm..They should by now know me, how I write, my failure to be a fan-girl of Tim and "I love Solder" Jony...

At least respond to my over 100 submissions with something, I am doing the work of an Apple employee in testing the equipment and responding as I would if I was stuck in a office in the basement tasked with finding faults.. Bug finders are vital to a healthy system, without them you have no way to know if the system is working 100%
Last edit: by MsJustine.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:54 #59812

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
Thanks Ben. So what's in Photos that's not in iPhoto. Nothing to replace ratings apparently.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:56 #59813

• Tom Wolsky
And it's not as if any in pro apps has anything at all to do with the design, layout, and requirements of the feedback, which is larger identical for all feedback for any Apple software.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 16:59 #59814

• Tom Wolsky
Really? A 64-bit web page is what you're worrued about? You do realize that the great majority of online communications around the world is not 64-bit based?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 17:01 #59815

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
:( Umm, not quite sure what to think... My post above was not about the feedback page, yet for some reason it has become this... oh well... Post more feedbacks to Apple and hope that one day once Tim and Jony retire, someone has the common sense to at least take the feedback page into 16bit...maybe 5000 characters limit!!! :dry:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Feb 2015 17:55 #59818

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
When you submit feedback, be very precise and to the point, and keep it as short as possible. I have never needed anything more than the existing feedback form. Whenever I get requests for additional information I reply via e-mail, adding images or links to videos I have made that clearly demonstrate the issue or the request.

Here's a link with information on how to post adequate feedback: www.fcpworks.com/submitting-better-fcpx-feedback-to-apple/

- Ronny
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Feb 2015 02:57 #59823

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Photos is way easier to use, much more simplified, and just makes sense. What does it have that iPhotos doesn't? A much better system for 3rd party developers to help grow it. It is written in better code so it is WAY faster to respond. It fits pro and amateur levels with one app, really, it does, and does it well. I'd say give it 6-8 months after public release before drawing any hardened conclusions about Photos. If it goes the way I suspect, I'll eventually be gladly giving up Aperture for it. It'll read and convert your Aperture and iPhotos libraries if you'd like, AND those originals are kept in tact, and iPhoto/Aperture can run side by side with Photos on the same system, just fine.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Feb 2015 15:59 #59851

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I made a little chart that shows that Apple is more committed to professional video editing now than it ever was:

I hope you find it useful and informative.

Cheers,

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Attachments:
Last edit: by JPM Editor.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Feb 2015 16:19 #59853

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Thank you for this information, Jesủs. I truly enjoy reading your posts.

- Ronny

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Feb 2015 16:52 #59857

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

ronny courtens wrote: Thank you for this information, Jesủs. I truly enjoy reading your posts.

- Ronny

Thanks a lot, Ronny!

Coming from you, I consider that quite a compliment!

I'm glad that you found this useful! Cheers,

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Feb 2015 13:48 #59958

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
We are way short of the 122 days average, by my count we are day 86 since the last FCP X 10.1.4 update, 2 working weeks left in February...

It just seems longer than 86 days, I know time lost due to the festive period over late December...

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Feb 2015 17:15 #59968

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I have to say that chart is a tad misleading, apples to onions. You're comparing major upgrades in Legacy to minor updates in X. There are not 5 major version updates to FCPXML yet, just minor updates, not the same thing, really. Or you need to list the minor updates we had as downloads in between the major upgrades for Legacy FCP.
Last edit: by BenB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Feb 2015 17:26 #59970

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi, Ben.

I couldn't find more detailed documentation online about the XMEML Interchange Format. I thought Apple only released these 5 versions of the old XML.

Maybe you could point me to a better resource or provide me with more accurate information?

Thanks for chiming in,

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Feb 2015 17:37 #59974

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
There were minor updates to all of the Final Cut apps in between the major releases. We got them as downloads, eventually through the Software Update option in the Apple menu, now via the App Store, but the Apple support site would list downloads for minor updates. I've been using FCP since it first shipped.

5 major upgrades, yes, but there were minor updates along the way. Just like we're getting now, minor updates, no major upgrade (outside of 10.1). That's all I'm saying, minor updates compared to major upgrades, I'm personally not sure that is a fair assessment.
Last edit: by BenB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Feb 2015 17:49 #59977

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, Ben.

But my chart is specifically for XML versions, not Final Cut Pro versions (I'm not comparing that).

Was FCP 5.1.2 such a major change from FCP 5.0, really? Or was it more like going from FCPX 10.1 to 10.1.2? I know, apples to onions. But I think it's a fair comparison.

My point is that every time Apple introduces a new XML version, even if the software itself doesn't get major features, collaboration between FCP and other apps is affected (normally improved).

I honestly don't see the chart so misleading. Or am i missing something?
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Feb 2015 18:10 #59981

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175
Jesus,

Ben is right.

Some notes from my side.
XML show up first time with FCP 4.1.
XML TOC was changed with version 6.x as far as I remenber
XML with 7.0 was partially broken and fixed with 7.0.1 even though the XML version didn't change.

XML showed up with FCP X first time with 10.0.1
XML changes for versions 10.0.1 to 10.0.9 were minimal
First major change with 10.1.0

- Andreas

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 09:58 #59996

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure Ben and you are right about this. Obviously the whole XMEML vs FCPXML comparison is out of my grasp. B)

Based on the limited information that I found online it seemed like a fair comparison to me, but now I know it's not.

I guess we cannot say that Apple is developing FCPXML at a faster pace than the old XMEML... But at least, would you agree with me than the new FCPXML is already a richer and better Interchange Format overall?

Thanks, I appreciate your comments!

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 11:14 #60003

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175

JPM Editor wrote: But at least, would you agree with me than the new FCPXML is already a richer and better Interchange Format overall?

I can't agree there :)
It's just from my point of view as an XML app developer. For me it seems X version 1.4 is some between v5 and v6 of legacy. And for sure it depends on what app you want to use for interchanging with the XML. But lets take FCPX to FCPX.
Legacy XMLs allowed to specify the way how the XML was handled during import - there is nothing like this with current XML.
What does that mean? So change for example a project on one machine and send it to another where this project already exists. Legacy allowed to update the project or create a new one, current only allows to create a new one (maybe with a new event).
Legacy kept an "item history" for each clip etc in a timeline (or any thing else) this was a great and fast thing to track or replace certain settings. Current versions do miss any thing like that.
Other things are just caused by the current modern architecture of handling media. Legacy was based upon Quicktime while X uses AV Foundation when handling media. This affects the way you can modify via XML. Legacy for example allowed to modify timecode via metadata. This was very cool to get things in sync even though the original file was changed in case you used TC 1. Aux TC though could be defined in the XML as well and was only valid inside the former legacy kind of project without modifying the source. Current FCPX even can't use Aux TC but that's another non XML related thing.
There is also the way current XML handle "to be quoted" characters. This is only partially implemented and can lead in some cases to wrong interpretation of parts of the XML.
And so on.
There is still a lot to do.

It's not that I think FCPX and the XMLs are bad - otherwise I wouldn't have created such a lot of tools around it.

- Andreas
Last edit: by Andreas Kiel.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 11:40 #60005

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, Andreas. This is very informative and sheds some light into an area that's very obscure to me.

Let's hope Apple keeps developing FCPXML further and we end up with a much better interchange format in the coming years.

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es