Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 11:47 #60006

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Just like learning X, nothing translates from legacy to X, not even XML. You can't compare the two apps, as they are just so vastly different. Even the development is so different as to make comparisons futile.

I'm sure we'll see some improvements in 10.1.5. Although I doubt it will make my coffee in the mornings...
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 11:50 #60007

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
The coffee maker is a optional extra in the icar!!

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 12:02 #60009

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Due to a project I'm currently involved with, I've been reading over the FCPX EULA, and going over its details with someone from Apple sales. It is a VERY interesting read. Several of the complaints against Apple and FCPX development, are covered in it. Do y'all know exactly what you agreed to when you purchased FCPX and clicked the "I Agree" button? Some folks agreed to accept terms and conditions they now complain about. I find it amusing. Just FYI.
images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/FinalCutProX.pdf

Now back to coffee with chicory, and getting little monsters off to school, it's way too early...
Last edit: by BenB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 12:35 #60011

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
I agree with Andreas and Ben as to the current state of FCPX XML. But I also agree with Jesủs that FCP XML is being improved at a much faster pace than was the case with classic FCP. Especially when you consider that, due to the new frameworks FCP X is based on, it had to be re-written from the ground up. Of course it entirely depends on what you need the XML for. But I would not be surprised if by the end of this year we indeed will see a much richer implementation of XML in FCP X than classic FCP ever had.

BTW: a few weeks ago I was working at a big television production company. I went to the office kitchen to grab some coffee and there was this cute iPad sticking out of the kitchen top, next to a tap. I made my selection on the iPad, put my cup under the tap and the iPad poured a delicious cappuccino in my cup. The future is nearer than we think B)

- Ronny
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 12:45 #60012

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
The most important point is that you don't buy the software. You don't own anything but a license to use it, which is non-transferable. The rights of surviving beneficiaries has never been tested AFAIK. And everyone has completely ignored in practice the MPEG clauses.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 12:50 #60013

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175

ronny courtens wrote: IBut I would not be surprised if by the end of this year we indeed will see a much richer implementation of XML in FCP X than classic FCP ever had.

Ronny, I agree totally.

- Andreas

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Feb 2015 12:53 #60016

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175

Tom Wolsky wrote: The most important point is that you don't buy the software. You don't own anything but a license to use it, which is non-transferable. The rights of surviving beneficiaries has never been tested AFAIK. And everyone has completely ignored in practice the MPEG clauses.

Totally true Tom. People should think about.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 08:04 #60262

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Change of focus a bit...

As I am an ex sound effect designer for the theater, I loved the old school format of Final Cut Classic, in which you could see the entire clip, overlay key frames. do this so accurately, in the browser window.

With FCP X, this is not possible, yes you can zoom into the clip in filmstrip mode, the inability of keyframing audio in the browser is a bugbear of mine.

I can see why some folk are reluctant to migrate from 6/7 to X, audio is to me the most important part of post production, getting the audio is what drives emotion, brings you running into the room, if your back is turned away from the screen, you cannot see, but your ears are still working...

The waveforms themselves how they are drawn on the screen is a problem, in 6/& it is full width, and yet in the more modern version, only the top half of the waveform is visible..

Why would this be? Surely if Logic and FCP X share a common source, being Apple, then why is FCP X version of waveform different to that of Logic?

Something does not add up, been thinking about this, and what is missing is a common standard, it is as if Logic is competing against FCP X, and they are not enhancing each other, which does not make sense...

Attachments:
Last edit: by MsJustine.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 12:29 #60274

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
FCPX and LPX are developed by two independent development teams, not the same team. Every app has its own dev team, who focuses on the task of their specific app. The only thing the FCPX and LPX teams have to do is refine and enhance Logic's ability to handle FCPXML. In fact, there was no round trip to LP9 from FCP7 that was as comfortable as it is now.

I can think of audio features I, as a sound engineer, would prefer to have than better keyframing overlays (though that would be nice, just not top priority to me).

What is being displayed in X has no detriment compared to 7. The bottom half is exactly the same as the top have, so why waste screen space on a mirror image?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 12:35 #60277

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Hi Ben,

Just to point out that in the FCP 7 screen grab above, you can clearly see that the 2 halves of the audio are not the same, and as a sound engineer you should be aware of why it is very important to have the whole picture, not half the picture.

What you cannot hear in the audio, you can see it in the wave form, spikes and so forth, FCP X hides this from the user, which for me as someone that feels audio outranks video, which is why we refer to as AV not VA.. Audio Video...

The lose of information, or audio detail in X is a huge deal.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 13:00 #60283

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
They were approximations, as all of them are, not technical accurate to that degree. The bottom half doesn't matter. Unless you're in an app that has to accurately display them to that great of detail, you don't need the bottom half. Plus, these are not traditional waveforms, they're levels. And if you configure the Timeline clips enough, and zoom in enough, you can see enough data to do a basic mix. If you need to mix to the degree of accuracy you're talking about, you need to use a DAW, not an NLE. But I've not had any issues timing sound effects in FCPX at all. The waveforms there work just fine for me. Not a huge deal to us all, not a universal.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 13:58 #60287

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
Audio zero-crossings are important for audio editing. I'd like a keyboard shortcut that limits snapping to zero crossings. The Zero key is free at the moment - holding it down could snap audio selections. Caps lock is free, but might be inadvertently selected by new users.

Time to hit
www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

@Alex4D

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 15:38 #60295

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

alex4D wrote: Audio zero-crossings are important for audio editing. I'd like a keyboard shortcut that limits snapping to zero crossings.

Should be a variation of N, shouldn't it ;) ?

Shift-N, alt-N, cmd-shft-N .... Sort-of .....
Snap-to-zero

(Never thought of that ... Indeed even when editing my simple projects those zeros are very handy to split and position VO )

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 18:27 #60305

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I just agree....

...so when is 10.1.5 coming out?
Last edit: by waternyc. Reason: extra comment...:)

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 21:09 #60308

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
When will California fall into the Pacific Ocean? Who knows? But many are still anxiously awaiting the event! I'd not be surprised if even the dev team doesn't know. I think it would be easier to predict the exact date of the next comet hitting an earth like planet we don't know about on the opposite side of our galaxy. Just saying...

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Feb 2015 21:28 #60312

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I just agree....

Hey, you know, for me updates are fun. Don't get me wrong I love my job. I can do my job just fine, the way FCPX currently is. I love editing, but I also easily get bored. So when things get changed up, even ever so slightly with some bric-a-brac updates, it just adds something else to my editing experience.

...but even if a world changing event such as "anything you consider significant" doesn't happen, I'll still be editing away with FCPX and whatever other program helps me do my job better. A little salt and pepper, here and there doesn't hurt.

...then again....I do spend lots of time writing in to the "Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback" form, and not many of my shared concerns have been addressed.

As for California falling in to the Pacific Ocean...I don't think the dev team knows either....

Peace brother!

PS You think the dev team has some crazy social psychologist that just like f(*^&$ing with our heads, keeping us on our toes....talking about things like this....not knowing when comets are going to hit earth like planets.....

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Mar 2015 06:00 #60919

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Well it is 101 days since the 25th November 2014 release of 10.1.4...
NAB 2015 is in 36 days from today,6th March 2015 [South Africa] as I write this..
[timestamp: 08:00 2015-03-06]

Must be something huge we are waiting for..

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Mar 2015 07:09 #60921

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662
some users of Aperture received a 'letter' from Apple, concerning EOL and Photos.
story here
www.macrumors.com/2015/03/05/aperture-removal-email-apple/

Quote:
"Photos for OS X will be available this spring for OS X Yosemite."

Title of next Apple show:
Spring forward

1+1= .....

On 9th March Photos has to be accessible in FCPX, so an update HAS to come to this date...

… probably …
Attachments:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Mar 2015 07:14 #60922

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
That is a great spot, so my next question is, those in the know, the guys such as Ripple, have they been beta testing 10.1.5 and Photos?

March 9 is 3 days away, and today is Friday, so it is either today, or Monday, I assume Photos is ready for general release, so with that as a given, then logically FCP X has to be updated today, to be updated in time for Photos!!

As Photos is a brand new app, and FCP X is well established, it makes sense to update the established app first then the new app, FCP X will need Photos for all sorts of reasons, I cannot understand the delay to so late before the new release of Photos...

Something just does not feel right, there must be another reason, Photos is not ready for general release, or a major flaw was found in the last few days, and the launch will carry on, but not the publishing of the Photos app next week...
Last edit: by MsJustine.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Mar 2015 07:26 #60923

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
There is no new information in the email. The App Store in the U.S. and overseas has been displaying a note on both the Aperture and iPhoto pages that the apps would no longer be for sale when Photos is released in the spring. Photos is in a public beta with 10.10.3. Not sure where you see a Photos/10.10.3 release on March 9th, though it's possible.