Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Mar 2015 18:47 #61145

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
So iMovie had to add this in 10.0.7
"Browse Moments, Collections, Favorites and Albums from the Photos app to add content to your projects"
but FCPX 10.1.4 already had this ability.

Hmm, I was under the impression that such iMovie additions were precursors to the move developed FCPX equivalents. I guess this busts that idea as an absolute.
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Mar 2015 19:11 #61146

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
If you have the beta installation of Photos with the 10.10.3 beta Photos will appear in FCP 10.1.4. It's basically always worked like this. It looks for the images libraries that you've opened, whether they're iPhoto, Aperture, or Photos. They all appear.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Mar 2015 01:16 #61147

• Squamish ed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm not an iMovie user but was surprised to see the new version listed for $14.95 for Mac. My iMac & MBP both came with iMovie installed which I thought was normal. Does this charge mean it's considered a new app rather than an upgrade?
Ed

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Mar 2015 01:57 #61149

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
No idea who buys it. It still comes preinstalled on new Macs.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Mar 2015 05:34 #61155

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

Tom Wolsky wrote: No idea who buys it. It still comes preinstalled on new Macs.

People with old Macs who upgrade their OS. New versions are paid, unless you buy a new Mac... and can then install on your older Macs.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Mar 2015 06:55 #61157

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662
Haven't we talked lately (in another thread?) about 'White Balance' for FCPX?

Latest iMovie has an app a button for that
(at last, I can not remember previous versions had that feature…)

Actually, I#m using a cheap plugin for that, but maybe it find its way to a future version of FCPX.
Attachments:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 01:25 #61431

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So are we getting close? 10.1.5 tomorrow?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 10:43 #61441

• TGC
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Commercials, music video & film editor at Trim
  • Thank you received: 8
My guess would be 10.2 the week before NAB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 12:18 #61447

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245

TGC wrote: My guess would be 10.2 the week before NAB.

I agree, if beta testing goes well enough, Apple would like to stir up the NLE conversation at NAB by giving people a few days to absorb the news.

@Alex4D

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 12:42 #61450

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
10.2 seems a little optimistic to me. We are at 10.1.4 right now.

- Ronny

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 16:41 #61456

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
10.2, what? Where'd that huge 5 version jump come from? Do you know something we don't?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 19:04 #61464

• TGC
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I know nothing.

I just don't think it necessarly has to go all the way to .9 before becoming 10.2

I think those big number switch overs signify a big change in the feature set and way the software works. Like the library model at 10.1. Also, for it to really take advantage of the latest OS features, i.e. AV foundation in Yosemite, it'll need to be Yosemite exclusive, in the same way that 10.1 was Mavericks exclusive. So a new operating number feels apt in that sense too.

It just feels like there's something big coming. It's interesting that Ripple Training are doing a presentation at the Supermeet. I doubt they'll be using the biggest and most public presentation of the year to show is how to make a slideshow quickly. I imagine it'll be something big, something new.

The numbering of OS 10.11 is a sign to me that Apple don't care about numerical logic.
Last edit: by TGC.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 19:15 #61465

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245

TGC wrote: I just don't think it necessarly has to go all the way to .9 before becoming 10.2

It just feels like there's something big coming.

Exactly what I would have written. i.e: I agree
Last edit: by alex4D.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 20:30 #61472

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
10.11 is a perfectly logical and common versioning number type. FCPX hasn't jump any numbers yet. I've seen lots of software in my long IT career use double digit numbers in the decimals. Especially when "10" is pretty much a branding name, also.

AVFoundation was introduced in Mavericks, not Yosemite. Yosemite may add some functionality to AVFoundation, but it isn't new to Yosemite, there's no huge leaps there that I've seen.

Why something big? What evidence? I'm always interested in how folks reach these predictive conclusions. And what constitutes "something big"? That's a pretty vague term. Just wondering out loud.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Mar 2015 21:03 #61474

• TGC
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Pure conjecture and wild speculation. My only methods.

With AV foundation, among other things, Yosemite added the possibility of reference movies. Which is what made round tripping possible from fcp7 to motion. That opens up exciting possibilities

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Mar 2015 10:03 #61737

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I know from the list of topics at the 2014 WWDC AVFoundation was discussed, in the last year I have not been aware of any calls for testing of AVFoundation publically by Apple.

Since AVF is integral I assume to FCP X, the lack of public calls to test makes me a bit concerned as to what the future holds.. With the introduction of the new style trackpad and this inclusion into imovie, the delay on updates maybe related to coding this new hardware function into FCP X?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Mar 2015 10:26 #61738

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
There is no delay in updates, simply because there is no fixed schedule for releasing updates. Updates get released when they are ready to be released.

And even version numbers don't have anything to do with wether an update will be a major one or a regular one anymore. That used to be relatively true in the old days when a software was updated to a .5 or full-point version on a yearly basis because it required making new DVDs and paper manuals, but that's not so anymore. And while I think of it: FCP7 was only a very minor update compared with FCP6, so even that was not relevant in these days.

Now they update whenever there's something that has been added, fixed or improved. So wether the next update will be released today or tomorrow or next month, wether it will be called 10.1.5 or 10.2 or 10.10 or whatever, and what it may or may not include, no-one can predict. Updates come whenever they are ready and this has nothing to do with trackpads or iMovie.

- Ronny
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Mar 2015 12:25 #61742

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175

MsJustine wrote: I know from the list of topics at the 2014 WWDC AVFoundation was discussed, in the last year I have not been aware of any calls for testing of AVFoundation publically by Apple.

Since AVF is integral I assume to FCP X, the lack of public calls to test makes me a bit concerned as to what the future holds.. With the introduction of the new style trackpad and this inclusion into imovie, the delay on updates maybe related to coding this new hardware function into FCP X?

I think you misunderstood what AVFoundation is or used for.
Anyway - everybody all over the world can download the needed code snippets and and example used in AVFoundation - already way before 2014.
Only thing you have to do is to register yourself as a developer at Apple - it's free.

If you have enough programming skills you can build your own app using AVFoundation and test it.

Regards
Andreas

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Mar 2015 12:28 #61743

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Yes, my understanding is limited in regards AVFoundation. No programming skills here...just a video editor/studio audio desk operator...

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Mar 2015 15:05 #61752

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
In a UNIX operating system, there are many parts working together to form the whole. "Frameworks" are one of those parts. It is not really an application that can be tested by itself, it is an programing interface. Let me quote Apple, "The AV Foundation framework provides an Objective-C interface for managing and playing audio-visual media in iOS and OS X applications."
developer.apple.com/library/ios/document...Framework/index.html

It is like a set of commands and variables a programmer can use to manage, manipulate, and play audio and video media inside of the OS X operating system. This link even has pictures if that helps (yeah, right).
developer.apple.com/library/ios/document...f/doc/uid/TP40010188

It's like FCPX is an End User Graphical Interface, for us to use AV Foundation programming language, to have OS X do work for us. You could very easily do everything at a command line with AV Foundation commands and variables that you an do in the FCPX interface.

Now, you want to use the FCPX application, or do you want to learn Object-C programming language, the AV Foundation Framework, and work at a command line? You'll get the same end result.
Last edit: by BenB.