Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 19:24 #58075

• Squamish ed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

Karsten Schlüter wrote: Some 'magic' which allows me to finally grab just that insanely *%&§!!-tiny handle for 'fading' in an audio-clip... ! :evil:

I agree 100% (or maybe the 110% that's so popular in sports talk since we seem to need the hand-eye coordination of an athlete or acrobat to be able to grab that so called 'handle')!
Ed
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 20:15 #58080

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
The reason there was no update following the release was because 10.1.2 didn't work in the Yosemite beta, and 10.1.3 was released while Yosemite was still in beta.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 20:17 #58081

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
The point about Photos is that FCP has to access it. Currently the media browser accesses iPhoto and Aperture. That has to be changed irregardless of whether Photos is a pro app.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 21:55 #58090

• anickt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
@Karsten and Squamish

I mapped some of the Clip Appearance Settings to F keys. I primarily work in "Clip Labels Only" but can quickly access the "Waveform Only" view when I need it and then jump back. In that mode grabbing the handles is easy even if you are zoomed way out and I can toggle to other Appearance Settings with other keys depending on what I'm doing.
Last edit: by anickt.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 23:42 #58094

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Why map them to F keys? Just curious what the benefit is, sounds like an interesting move.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 06:49 #58106

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

Tom Wolsky wrote: The point about Photos is that FCP has to access it. Currently the media browser accesses iPhoto and Aperture. …

Not only that!
I don't follow the discussion in extenso, but Aperture users are in rage about EOL of their product; my speculation: it's axed because FCPX' superb tagging/metadata-system should be adopted across-all-apps. It would make sense, to create a 'unified data-base-system' for all sort of media (video, stills, audio, documents....)

And: 'Photo' is often mentioned as example for the OS-feature Extensions; so, 'Photo' not only is a pool of pics; could be some pic-processor (as Logic is for audio ...) ...

In short: What Tom said .... :lol:

btw: Photo or Photos … ?
I don't like those 'generic' names, prefer real names, ... call it KODAK for heaven sake, you get the name cheap... :huh:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 10:21 #58112

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: Just a couple of corrections JPM-

While FCPX releases followed both Lion and Mountain Lion, neither OS updates were required to run the new versions of Final Cut (and so did not leverage OS improvements). 10.1 was the first Final Cut update that mandated being on the newest OS (Mavericks), which was necessary for the new Library structure. And the current version runs fine on both Yosemite and Mavericks...

So I'm not sure there's a specific intended correlation between the two, as far as tying into the MacOS releases, except with 10.1.

I think it is more than a mere coincidence, since FCPX is really tied to the OS in general. Of course, Apple can't force all FCPX users to update to a new OS yearly. But the general impression is that both, the OS and FCPX move forward together in a synchronized way. This sends the message that we all have to keep moving along, turn the page (and leave FCP7 behind), and explore the new features that come with a new version of FCPX and the OS (tags, Continuity, iCloud Drive, etc.) This is another reason why most people expected 10.1.4 to be a feature update, and was disappointed that it wasn't.

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: Again, development on FCP is sort of a black box that few have seen (and those who have don't get to talk about). Whether a GUI update and "feature" updates are things that could be done by the team in parallel, or one after another is totally unknown. If they do have to be done in separate releases, which gets priority? A new coat of paint or added functionality?

I don't think after all this time without new features for FCPX (196 days, so far), we would only get one of the two. With 10.1 Apple proved that they could deliver a new media management structure as well as several important editing enhancements. Certainly, they wouldn't change the UI without giving us as well the ability to save custom layouts and gain a bit more flexibility, which is one of the most demanded requests. I don't think that would come alone though, but maybe my expectations are too high. We'll see what happens in the next months.
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 13:19 #58119

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
"Photos" with an s.

As far as Photos not being as powerful as Aperture, that's just speculation and fear. Nowhere has anyone seen any evidence it will not be a pro app. If someone does have that evidence, I'd love to see it. Since Apple blatantly said it was replacing Aperture (not replacing iPhoto), I'll assume it will be a change like going from FCP7 to FCPX. No less professional, but more modern, faster and easier.

I'm just glad Apple didn't rename FCP to "Videos".

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 13:40 #58122

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hey Ben. It's replacing both iPhoto and Aperture. Here's some PR from ars Technica shortly after the Aperture EOL announcement-

arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/apple-to-c...-photo-app-aperture/

If anything, as the free, default option, Photos is primarily replacing iPhoto for Mac users, not Aperture. And that's what has many concerned about pro level features in the new application. But Apple's PR (and the screenshot provided) make it clear that there's at the very least image editing enhancements over iPhoto in the new app. He's a screenshot so we can all see what it's UI is looking like so far-

But obviously there's more to pro image editing apps than color correction- organization, search, etc... So Photos has to ride the line between being easy enough for iPhoto users to handle, and then with enough hidden depth to satisfy pro users. If that's even possible. Maybe in the context of image editing it is, or maybe we just think it could be because we're not pro photographers.

Imagine if Apple decided to do this with iMovie and Final Cut. I think we'd all be very skeptical about them being able to juggle those two masters successfully.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 13:50 #58124

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

JPM Editor wrote: I think it is more than a mere coincidence, since FCPX is really tied to the OS in general. Of course, Apple can't force all FCPX users to update to a new OS yearly. But the general impression is that both, the OS and FCPX move forward together in a synchronized way.

If you're suggesting that MacOS and FCP X are moving forward in lock step, then by nature they'd have to be tied together, and one would require the other. So far only one Final Cut update has come with a OS update requirement, and that was 10.1/Mavericks. I agree it will probably happen again this year with UI and frameworks updates- but Lion and Mountain Lion were both inconsequential to FCP development, since you could still be running current versions of FCPX all the way up to 10.0.9 on Snow Leopard.

JPM Editor wrote: I don't think after all this time without new features for FCPX (196 days, so far), we would only get one of the two. With 10.1 Apple proved that they could deliver a new media management structure as well as several important editing enhancements. Certainly, they wouldn't change the UI without giving us as well the ability to save custom layouts and gain a bit more flexibility, which is one of the most demanded requests. I don't think that would come alone though, but maybe my expectations are too high. We'll see what happens in the next months.

Perhaps- I just think it's a question of who's doing the work and how big the job is. Again, since the UI update isn't just an FCPX update- but for all ProApps across the board, it may be a much bigger task than we're imagining.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 13:52 #58125

• Karsten Schlüter

BenB wrote: .... I'm just glad Apple didn't rename FCP to "Videos".

YMMD!!!
:lol: :silly: :lol:

after all this time without new features for FCPX (196 days, so far)

MXF support is no 'new feature'? ...

For me, there're three sorts of improvements
* 'under the hood', such as format support, coop with other apps (roles in Logic, swap with Motion), speed, reliability, ...
* 'features', usually introduced by "What's new? now does..."
* 'genius', such as multicam, smartlists, multi-format timelines ... (no, doesn't have to be Apple-exclusive ...)

I think, genius-features are rare - or, are so exotic, that are wisely relinquised to 3rd parties (mObjects) ... On the other hand: If I'm in charge at Apple, I would hurry to buy CoreMelt, and make SliceX/TrackX built-in effects....

But this is my tiny hobbyist p.o.v., fore sure my focus is on these "aaahh!"-features - the wishlists of pros are endless, but more in the 'under the hood'-category located.

Maybe, Motion is the next 'genius' roadworks (new UI, tic-based/logic-based behaviours) ...

... 'll be an exciting 2015!

"And what are you using for editing videos?"
"Videos."
"yes, videos...?"
"Videos!!"
"Yes!! For Videos! For editing!!"
"... Videos..."
" <fill in bad word>"
:silly:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 13:57 #58126

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote: On the other hand: If I'm in charge at Apple, I would hurry to buy CoreMelt, and make SliceX/TrackX built-in effects....

Unfortunately that wouldn't do any good, since the technology at the core of SliceX/TrackX is Mocha, which CoreMelt licences but was recently purchased by BorisFX.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 14:27 #58127

• Karsten Schlüter

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: ... Unfortunately that wouldn't do any good, since the technology at the core of SliceX/TrackX is Mocha, which CoreMelt licences but was recently purchased by BorisFX.

Yepp, we discussed that in some other thread , and my Cassandra P.o.V. is, that within the next 12months, Mocha is an Adobe-exclusive.

Buying NOW CoreMelt gives you access to developers, who know mochas innards in and out - which is a good start for a in-house solution; in that other thread I show my ignorance, by claiming "planar tracking is just number-crunching some zillion triangles" ... and, as we all know, number-crunching (=rendering) ist performed on FCPX/Macs faster than any benchmark let expect ...
Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 14:45 #58128

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Adobe exclusive....? Isn't BorisFX more intergal to AVID?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 15:54 #58130

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Apple buying Avid makes so much sense, it opens up the hardware market to ultra professionals. Avid is dying a slow painful death, the introduction of subscription based access is a last throw of the dice.

Apple needs a robust hardware division to complement the Beats purchase, to add super professional hardware to work with logic and final cut makes sense. Not sure the US regulators would allow it.

What is needed is a standardisation between hardware and software, using AV Foundation, as long as Avid is outside of the Apple chain, it will be difficult to achieve this.

If you listen to enough podcasts, the writing is on the wall, you hear of more and more editors making the move to Apple software, having a large hardware based portfolio would be in the best interests of both Apple and the wider user base.
Last edit: by MsJustine. Reason: change of thought

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 16:08 #58132

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Boris FX has nothing to do with Adobe, nor with Avid or Apple. As their mission statement says: "The company's success lies in its ability to integrate and leverage technologies tightly through strong partnerships with industry-leading developers of video-editing software and hardware including Adobe, Apple, Avid, Corel, Grass valley, Nexidia and Sony." They would be incredibly stupid if they would associate with any of them.

The acquisition of Imagineer Systems is logical because the tracking system in their own plugins is below average. By acquiring Mocha they can add much better tracking capabilities to their plugins without having to pay exorbitant license fees.

- Ronny
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 16:15 #58133

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
From the article Disproportionate linked to; "Update: When asked about what Aperture-like features users can expect from the new Photos app, an Apple representative mentioned plans for professional-grade features such as image search, editing, effects, and most notably, third-party extensibility."

So, yeah, professional features, mostly provided by third party addons, just like Aperture. And in the screen shot, the right hand column (in the demo I saw) changes, it isn't static, just like the left hand column in Aperture. Seems to serve the same purpose, with more flexibility, easier use, less clutter.

Thus, why the fear Photos won't be a pro app?

As for Apple buying Avid, name ONE technology Avid has that Apple would be interested in? Everything Avid has would need to be re-written from the ground up for the AVFoundation framework. Which defeats the purpose of buying someone's software if you have to write it from scratch AGAIN. That just makes no sense at all.

Standardization? Apple has their standards. Avid has theirs. Adobe has theirs. Why would any of them WANT to comfort to the others? Why don't the cell phone companies standardize with each other? Because they want to out do each other. There is something I've written countless articles for countless publications over the past 5 years that states there are two terms which have become obsolete. One is "industry standards"....

Apple's hardware is pretty solid and robust, that is not an issue IMHO.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 16:16 #58134

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I only meant that BorisFX is the integrated tool now that AVID FX is gone. AVID leans heavily on BorisFX for titles, transitions and graphics that Adobe and Apple have more naively. BorisFX is absolutely a platform neutral product.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 16:28 #58135

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

BenB wrote: ...Aperture. Seems to serve the same purpose, with more flexibility, easier use, less clutter.

Thus, why the fear Photos won't be a pro app?

I'm only pointing out the concerns that pro photographers seem to be voicing around the web.

And honestly, looking at all of Apple's recent software migrations in the last couple of years: Final Cut, iWork... reboots of software seem to be plagued with backwards compatibility issues and feature regressions. Logic seems to be the one app spared the re-coding speed-bump.

I'm hoping the extra time it took to get this application out means the new app will be that much more fully baked- and that Aperture users won't have to go thru what FCP users did in 2011- but I don't think we can take for granted that's what will happen.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Jan 2015 16:32 #58136

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I do not want to fight. I just see the hardware segment of Apple is a bit lean, Avid is dropping users frequently, Avid has a flourishing studio hardware department that would complement Apple's software.

Apple is not afraid to drop a load of cash on a company, look at what was spent on Color before it was part of Final Cut Studio 2/3. Beats is what? Headphones and what else??

What studio hardware type does Apple make in house? Nothing like Avid?

Why not have Pro Tools along with Digidesign part of Apple?

If I could make 1 purchase for Apple as 1 day CEO, it would be Avid for sure...