Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 00:45 #58326

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I think the challenge there will be that they'll have to come up with alternate arrangements for windows.

Right now the Event and Viewer live above the centre tool bar, and the Project window lives below it. If the Project window was moved to it's own display, then it would make sense to have the Viewer and Event Browser stacked vs side by side, I think. No doubt more flexibility in window layouts is something I'd like to see addressed in a UI update.
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 00:56 #58327

• Don Rumsey
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I'd hate to say the dreaded Adobe word, but i do miss that in Premiere. to be able to move anything and everything around. Ahhhh...

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 05:03 #58337

• Bretwilliams
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
You can program any shortcut in any menu of any app to any available key in keyboard prefs in system prefs under keyboard and then shortcuts. For example, add the app Final Cut Pro, then type the exact menu item- A/V Output and then choose the key. I chose f17. I have f18 and f19 mapped (just via X shortcuts) to better performance and high quality, so f17 turning on and off video output seemed like a good choice.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 12:48 #58347

• Wardos
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah but why has no one yet, mapped all the fcp7 shortcuts to the X.
I think that a lot of people would love that :)

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 13:10 #58350

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
When I started testing FCP X in 2011 I decided to re-map a lot of keyboard shortcuts so it would look more familiar to our FCP editors once they started working with the program. I think it was BenB on these forums who suggested that this was not a good way to deal with this. And he was right. A few months later I restored all keyboard shortcuts to their default and we only added new shortcuts for very specific FCP X functions we use. It simply felt better.

The worst thing you can do with FCP X is to try and make it work like classic FCP. It's a different application, in many ways much better than the old one. And when you work with it as it was intended to, I think you will experience that you will work much faster.

- Ronny

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 13:51 #58352

• Bretwilliams
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I think wherever they can be Apple retained the same shortcuts in functions that are the same. FCPX feels the most like FCP legacy than any other app. Zooming in the canvas or timeline (cmd +- in nun pad), the hand tool, trimming and nudging (< >), volume increase/decrease (ctrl +- on standard keyboard), shift z to show all in canvas or timeline, and even the new audio tools are almost the same (used to be cmd option L and now it's ctrl opt L). Even the jkl feels right. Cmd 1,2,3 for bin, timeline, canvas. I can't remember but I think these are basically the same if not exactly the same. But it's not the same app and doesn't function the same. So I think they tried to give the new functions a better layout ( line the insert and connect keys) moving many functions to regular keys instead of function keys. I dislike function keys because then you have to hobble your Mac, turning off things like volume, brightness, and many other OS functions, all of which Apple moved to function keys si they could shrink their keyboards years ago.

What functions aren't mapped or could be mapped better?

Edit: I also forgot shift+s for audio scrubbing & N for snapping. Really, most of your day to day operations are these same wherever possible. My muscle memory was definitely happier on X than Premiere, even with the pseudo FCP shortcut set which just maps similar things to similar things.
Last edit: by Bretwilliams.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jan 2015 13:57 #58353

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

ronny courtens wrote: ... The worst thing you can do with FCP X is to try and make it work like classic FCP. ...

As a FinalCut-Virgin = haven't used legacy FC before, I must admit, there's some 'logic' and lots of convenience with the out-of-the-box key-mapping, never felt the wish to re-map anything:

'finesse' aka editing (jogging, nudging) is on the right hand, 'switching' is on the left - as a 'rightie' that's fine!

I'm actually using only one custom item, "apply 50% slowmo", mapped as ctrl-shift-G (memo: Geschwindigkeit/speed); which is easy to do - for me.-

Some short-cuts need some hilarios memo, as Q = qnnected clip, but ... anyhow :blink:

Fingers crossed (pun pahhhh!), a forth-coming switchable-custom-layout has some simple mapping I can remember.... :lol:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Jan 2015 14:42 #58435

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum but a frequent lurker... Anyway, what I would love to see in fcpx 10.1.5 is opacity and some keyframe controls directly on the clip, not in the video animation menu. Also being able to lock audio tracks into place would help a lot... What else, oh yes, a project wide preference to have the quality of slow mo set to a specific mode and the option to transcode on import to all prores codecs.

Cheers

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Jan 2015 23:06 #58474

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
When I sold my old Saturn for a Lexus, I would never dream of putting Saturn floor mats, Saturn quality tires and accoutrements into it. Ugh, why go backwards? Makes no sense what so ever....

If you want to drive a Saturn, drive a Saturn! Don't go buy a BMW and force it to look, feel, and smell like a Saturn!

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Jan 2015 23:38 #58475

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

BenB wrote: When I sold my old Saturn for a Lexus, I would never dream of putting Saturn floor mats, Saturn quality tires and accoutrements into it. Ugh, why go backwards? Makes no sense what so ever....

If you want to drive a Saturn, drive a Saturn! Don't go buy a BMW and force it to look, feel, and smell like a Saturn!

Care to expand?

Cheers

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Jan 2015 03:38 #58482

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I already did, I bought a Lexus, and edit with/teach FCPX.
Last edit: by BenB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Jan 2015 08:03 #58494

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

BenB wrote: … Don't go buy a BMW and force it to look, feel, and smell like a Saturn!

um…, well, like…, …say, um ...... If you want … no BMW, but a Porsche:

The (in)famous Nordstadt-Käfer, a "beetle-body on a Carrera-chassis'-homunculus from the early 70ies... I well remember that - everybody wanted one! And there was a very well written article about it in the Playboy-magazine... yes, you all bought it for the well-written articles, I know............... :woohoo:
Attachments:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Jan 2015 12:19 #58503

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

BenB wrote: I already did, I bought a Lexus, and edit with/teach FCPX.

I am quite new with fcpx. There are parts that are simply wonderful (tagging for example) and the speed is bliss. Still when it comes to multi layer video and audio I have issues. With video, opacity levels are very hard to adjust to adjust when it comes to having many layers "playing at the same time where you have to revisit and adjust levels. With audio I wish clips would stay in place and not move upwards after an edit/cut. I have a lot to learn I guess but I can't see how I can deal with those issues.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Jan 2015 16:39 #58515

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Nice discussion from Richard Taylor's Google hangout about 2014 in review and 2015 expectations.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Jan 2015 21:51 #58663

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hmmmm....I smell updates in the air.....could we possibly have an update tomorrow????

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Jan 2015 22:01 #58665

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I doubt it, way too early.

Hyphe; I've no issue with adjusting opacity, nor with audio. I do massive audio work, too. Compound Clips, Roles, metadata makes it all a snap once you learn the system.
Last edit: by BenB.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 12:12 #58695

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
BenB,

How do you work with opacity?

I wouldn't mind if they made the opacity settings accessable directly on the clip somehow. I too find it a bit of a pain to work with opacities. Unless there's a way to do it I don't know about.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 12:37 #58697

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I don't find it difficult to access the slider in the Inspector. Yes, an opacity line in the Timeline would be nice, faster, but accessing in the Inspector I do not find slows me down at all. There is also Control-V to access the Opacity animation section in the timeline. Either way you use, I don't find it slow or cumbersome, really.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 13:07 #58700

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

hyphen wrote: Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum but a frequent lurker... Anyway, what I would love to see in fcpx 10.1.5 is opacity and some keyframe controls directly on the clip, not in the video animation menu.

I know back in FCP7 we used to have opacity bars for video clips, and Audio Level bars for audio clips. We cannot have this in FCPX because of the design: clips can contain both video and audio in the same layer. I think it would be cumbersome to have two different bars overlapping, don't you think? Maybe someone else has a better idea of implementing it?

Anyway, what Ben B just said it's fine: use the slider in the Inspector or open de Video animation menu with Ctrl+V. If you don't want to see all the parameters, you can solo the Opacity bar this way:

- Select all the clips whose Opacity you want to adjust.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+V to Solo the Opacity Animation parameter (you won't see anything happening, but it will).
- Finally, you press Ctrl+V to show de Video Animation, but this time you will only see the Opacity parameter for all the selected clips.

Very fast and efficient, in my opinion. And you don't waste too much vertical space in the timeline this way.
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 13:07 #58701

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

BenB wrote: I doubt it, way too early.

Hyphe; I've no issue with adjusting opacity, nor with audio. I do massive audio work, too. Compound Clips, Roles, metadata makes it all a snap once you learn the system.

Hi BenB

Mu problem with opacity control is more apparent with multi-layered video. Once I created a sequence that had 6 layers of videos playing at the same time. Those had varying opacity levels that had to be adjusted in relation to each other. Ending up with the animation menus expanded on all six layers is a bit of a nightmare. Additionally, I use opacity for fade ins/outs. Having the controls directly on the clip, in my opinion, is faster.

I think that the meta data work in fcpx is monumental. The manner in which one can tag clips is a life saver. The only problem I have not sorted out with multi track audio is the way audio clips move when you perform cuts even when in their own storyline. I recently cut a trailer that had 4 tracks of audio: dialogue, ambience (stereo), effects and music (stereo). Getting rid of a part in the video/dialogue section of a clip, causes what ever is underneath to move up and that made my life harder that I would like it to be. Basically knowing that your audio stays locked in its own storyline, again in my opinion, is easier.