Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 13:10 #58702

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

JPM Editor wrote: - Select all the clips whose Opacity you want to adjust.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+V to Solo the Opacity Animation parameter (you won't see anything happening, but it will).
- Finally, you press Ctrl+V to show de Video Animation, but this time you will only see the Opacity parameter for all the selected clips.

Very fast and efficient, in my opinion. And you don't waste too much vertical space in the timeline this way.

Thanks for that! I'll try it!
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 13:11 #58703

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
My bad. I thought that you could do this to multiple clips at once, but I just checked and unfortunately it doesn't work. Only if you do it clip by clip. I don't know if it's a bug... If it's not, it would be nice to have it as a feature.
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 13:15 #58704

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JPM Editor wrote: My bad. I thought that you could do this to multiple clips at once, but I just checked and unfortunately it doesn't work. Only if you do it clip by clip. I don't know if it's a bug... If it's not, it would be nice to have it as a feature.

Oh well, it felt good for a minute.

Cheers!

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 13:58 #58706

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I think the fastest solution would be to have a keyboard command for opacity like we do for audio volume [CTRL +/-].

Audio-like handles and slider in the timeline have been discussed a lot. Ultimately your milage will depend on how keyboard focused your usage is.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 14:18 #58707

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: ... (Audio-like) handles and slider in the timeline have been discussed a lot. ...

I'm noticing on myself the phenomenon of 'selective perception':
There are so 'many' items on the actual wishlists, which all touch 'User Interface'! at last, in my subjective observation....:

Handles for opacity, customizeable screen layouts, non-grabable 'fade-dots', the endless discussion around the Color Board incl. keyframing it, the not-existing TC reader ... finally - whohoo, Danger, Robin! - adoption of the Yosemite design-language...

.. for me, all that is less 'technology', like in the last updates, but usability/interface....

I wouldn't be surprised, when the next update is less feature-driven and more "click 'n drive" stuff.....

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 14:25 #58708

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The challenge is very much one of personal workflow. Someone who leans very heavily on keyboard interaction is going to have a very different view of the interface than someone who predominantly uses the mouse. Neither one of those user interactions is incorrect- at most you could say that one is maybe "less efficient"- but both have to be serviced.

I've become much more keyboard focused in X over the last year, as doing the show has had me doing many repeatable tasks. A keyboard cover also helps to ease you into learning shortcuts vs just relying on mouse interaction.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 14:31 #58709

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Tweet from FCP.co: "JFYI no MacBreak Studio this week #fcpx"
Are Ripple Training working on a major release for FCP X?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 15:47 #58712

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Or they simply have a lot of "paying" work to get done. They do lots of production work that is not Ripple Training, and keep up a break-neck pace with it all. Skipping a week here and there is not unheard or, nor does it surprise me.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 16:12 #58713

• Soundwise
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41

hyphen wrote: I recently cut a trailer that had 4 tracks of audio: dialogue, ambience (stereo), effects and music (stereo). Getting rid of a part in the video/dialogue section of a clip, causes what ever is underneath to move up and that made my life harder that I would like it to be. Basically knowing that your audio stays locked in its own storyline, again in my opinion, is easier.

When possible use your multitrack audio as polyfiles since when you expand multitrack audio components, deleting a part of a component acts like a mute and nothing moves.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 16:38 #58715

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Soundwise wrote:

hyphen wrote: I recently cut a trailer that had 4 tracks of audio: dialogue, ambience (stereo), effects and music (stereo). Getting rid of a part in the video/dialogue section of a clip, causes what ever is underneath to move up and that made my life harder that I would like it to be. Basically knowing that your audio stays locked in its own storyline, again in my opinion, is easier.

When possible use your multitrack audio as polyfiles since when you expand multitrack audio components, deleting a part of a component acts like a mute and nothing moves.

Thanks. Should I safely assume that by "polyfiles" you mean clips with detached audio?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 16:54 #58717

• Soundwise
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41

hyphen wrote:

Soundwise wrote:

Thanks. Should I safely assume that by "polyfiles" you mean clips with detached audio?

With polyfile I mean that multitrack audio is as one file and not multiple mono files.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 17:05 #58718

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Soundwise wrote: With polyfile I mean that multitrack audio is as one file and not multiple mono files.

Cheers. That in my case does not help. I need to have the separate files so that I can make changes to where they are placed during the cutting process. In this particular trailer there was ambience, dialogue and effects that were moved quite a bit before I reached the final result. There's a lot of overlapping audio.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 19:56 #58733

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
- Expand Audio Components lets you trim any audio channel in your Multicam edit for a given angle cut.
- Detach Audio will make audio a separate clip so you can move it "out of sync" so to speak, and re-time it after you've done an edit.
- That said, you should have everything timed in the Angle Editor before doing an actual edit.

But again, Roles and the Timeline Index pane make audio really quick and sweet for me. I'm going to guess there some audio tools in FCPX you're not that used to. I do mostly audio work, and find FCPX super easy and comfortable to do a great deal of complex work with. But, that's just me.

Back to the Pre-Release discussion, I doubt we'll see a major upgrade until closer to NAB. Maybe not an NAB linked announcement, but that timing seems to be more along the traditional track record so far.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Jan 2015 20:08 #58735

• hyphen
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

BenB wrote: ... I'm going to guess there some audio tools in FCPX you're not that used to...

Well, I am very new to it and I must admit my initial experience was a shock to the system. I am getting faster the more I work in it and get used to shortcuts so hopefully I will also find a way to deal with audio organisation. Still I feel that being able to "lock" audio storylines in place would be a great idea.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Jan 2015 21:59 #58776

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Logic Pro X has been updated to 10.1 today. Release notes (below) show no specific FCPX related improvement or features.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Jan 2015 22:30 #58777

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Looks like there are some xml, fps, and timcode tweaks.

I look forward to testing it.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Jan 2015 17:42 #58801

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting point here-

We see Logic Pro X jump from 10.0.7 to 10.1. I thought that this was the first time we'd seen this happen with any application since the X transition, but checking back I now see that both Motion & Compressor went from 5.0.7 to 5.1 in December of 2013, coinciding with FCPX 10.1.

Still, those applications aren't "X" yet, so for Logic Pro X to make a similar leap means that like like with iOS and OSX updates, once a "generation" of development is played out, it's on to a new major number.

Which does mean that FCP X 10.2 could come at any point, though I'd say we should expect these "major" releases to be around 2 years apart. It's been that way all the way back to the classic days, so there's no precedent for it to be any quicker.

The other interesting point of note is that this release is coming just before NAMM the NAB for the music industry. This could just be a coincidence of timing. But.... well, I guess we'll just have to see if there's an FCP X update in April.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Jan 2015 10:12 #58810

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: Interesting point here-

We see Logic Pro X jump from 10.0.7 to 10.1. I thought that this was the first time we'd seen this happen with any application since the X transition, but checking back I now see that both Motion & Compressor went from 5.0.7 to 5.1 in December of 2013, coinciding with FCPX 10.1.

Still, those applications aren't "X" yet, so for Logic Pro X to make a similar leap means that like like with iOS and OSX updates, once a "generation" of development is played out, it's on to a new major number.

Which does mean that FCP X 10.2 could come at any point.

Good observation, Marcus. Most of us are expecting the next FCPX update to be huge. If it finally is (let's hope so!), I guess it makes more sense to name it 10.2 instead of 10.1.5.

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: The other interesting point of note is that this release is coming just before NAMM the NAB for the music industry. This could just be a coincidence of timing. But.... well, I guess we'll just have to see if there's an FCP X update in April.

Coincidentally, Avid has chosen the very same timing to announce their free limited version of Pro Tools, called Pro Tools First: www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7875175/avid-...-is-free-but-limited

It seems like Avid is tailoring this version of Pro Tools mostly to musicians, so I guess they are trying to compete against Logic X with this.

To me, this also reveals that Avid is starting to fear the FCP X-Logic X combo already... Pro Tools is probably the only tool they have that can still be considered an "industry standard". They really can't afford to loose that.
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Jan 2015 01:51 #58824

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Avid is still pretty industry standard. I think you have to subdivide the filmmaking industry a bit. Like everything else in this world, it's becoming a niche world. If you work in broadcast commercials for any major network (CBS, NBS, etc) they are pretty locked into Avid and I don't see that changing any time soon.

That being said, the rise of independent production is steadily growing. I'm seeing more FCPX activity than I remember, but also for the first time am starting to feel like the program could use some TLC. Or maybe my 3 year old iMac is just feeling slower... But I want those little interface UX tweaks badly.

Excited to play around with Logic X - doesn't seem like anybody is really using it for pro audio clean up like ProTools users, but maybe I am wrong?

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Jan 2015 14:17 #58834

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
LPX has a huge user base. PT is used more in full production studios, but LPX is used in more project studios. It has had a very strong following for many years now, that's not going away.

One thing to bear in mind, I work with lots of higher education facilities around the country. They all but dropped FCP when X came out. Many stayed on 7 to see what would happen, or because there was no money to upgrade/switch. But over the life span of FCPX so far, even the ones who are switched to PPro are saying their students, overwhelmingly are walking on to campuses with FCPX on their laptops, and thus regretting switching to PPro so fast. The ones on 7 are in process or planning to go to X. So if all these kids are using FCPX on their laptops, rather than use PPro on the university's lab machines, guess where the future will go?