fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ...

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 19 Jan 2015 18:49 #58639

• Paul Cryer
  • Paul Cryer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All

I've a very very odd issue that's been happening for a while. Clips are just disappearing from my timeline. Now originally I thought I may be accidentally deleting a secondary storyline group, but this is not the case. It has happened in various projects since 10.1.3 and continues in 10.1.4. Issues:

- Clips edited into a secondary storyline just vanish
- Gap clips are randomly changing length

I've taken to placing markers where my secondary storyline sections start and end then I can keep track of any that 'shrink'. The present project I'm working on, about 50% of the secondary storyline has just vanished. I open a backup of the project from 30 mins ago, it is all there.

This is obviously a major issue. Has anyone else had this? If I edit just with the primary storyline, clips do not disappear from this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 19 Jan 2015 19:46 #58646

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Hi Paul,

This is the first time ever I hear about such an issue, and i agree it's a major one for you.

Have you tried deleting your FCP X preferences? In 10.1.4 you do this by closing FCP X, then launch it again while holding down the CMD+ALT keys.

If you have done this and the issue still happens, create a new admin account and launch your project using this new account. Then check if the issue still happens.

- Ronny

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 21 Jan 2015 10:49 #58748

• Paul Cryer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'll have to give the new admin account a try. I've done a preference reset, always my first stop and a disk check too.

It doesn't seem I'm the only person with the issue, there is an older post on here with a couple of people having the same issue, but no final fix results in the thread.

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 21 Jan 2015 11:19 #58749

• ronny courtens
Yes, try with a new admin account. This is not a solution, but it's a solid check to determine were this issue is related to FCP X or to your general setup. If everything works fine with a new account there are some steps you can take to solve this without having to do a clean install of your OS.

BTW, could you point me to that older post? I must have missed it at the time.

- Ronny

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 21 Jan 2015 12:26 #58751

• Paul Cryer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Ronny

Found it here: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...ppearing-in-timeline

As an extra comment, if I push everything down into the primary storyline, nothing every disappears (or I've never had the issue working solely in the Primary).

Last edit: by Paul Cryer.

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 21 Jan 2015 12:32 #58752

• ronny courtens
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link, now I remember.

As the OP never provided feedback on this matter I assumed deleting the preferences had solved the issue. Please do the test with a new admin account so we can get to the bottom of this.

- Ronny

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 31 Jan 2015 05:48 #59084

• vitimspot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
paul,
do you use wacom tablet?
i have the same issue and i'm trying to check all the possibilites.

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 31 Jan 2015 18:23 #59107

• Paul Cryer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
No Wacom tablet.

I'm waiting for the next project to start where I'll be doing a lot of the kind of editing this issue is seen during, which may be another good few weeks, then I'll b testing with a new admin account.

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 01 Feb 2015 21:06 #59168

• ronny courtens
Hi Victor,

If you are working with the latest version of FCP X and Yosemite and you are not working off a shared storage system using sparse disk images I would suggest you create a new admin account to see if you still have the problem when running FCP X on a fresh user account. If the problem goes aways using a new admin account post back so we can show you how to solve the issue, hopefully without needing to do a fresh install of your OS.

- Ronny

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 19 Apr 2015 19:18 #63230

• eface
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I am also having this problem and it is very very very frustrating. I recently upgraded from FCP 10 to 10.1.3 and a new Macbook Pro, Yosemite, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

I make changes to videos and TV programs, export and find that clips (especially cutaways/lower thirds) just disappear. I thought I was imagining it, then after a client asked me to make 1 change to a file, and after making it, there were 3 "new" errors, I started searching and found this thread.

I must say, this is just awful.

Dave

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 14 Feb 2016 16:30 #73323

• NicBrik
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Everyone,

For what it's worth, here's my addition to try and solve (or bypass) the issue of disappearing clips on timeline.

I've had this problem since today and I've read several posts on the issue. I have trashed Preferences, open FCPX and my clips had still disappeared. While trying to replace the disappeared clips, I came across what looks like an illogical buggy behavior.

This is what, I think, causes this bug to happen from me on FCPX 10.1.4 (as shown on the attached screen grab of my secondary screen):

Selecting clips on the primary timeline with the Position Tool ('T' hot key) and trying to move them along, I get an odd artefact (red rectangle on the screen grab). I applied the change then Zoomed Out (Shift+Z), and saw that other clips in the timeline had disappeared. When I hit UNDO (Cmd+Z) & REDO (Shift+Cmd+Z) I saw exactly the clips that had disappeared - BINGO!

It doesn't do this every time you select with the position tool, so keep an eye out for when you see this behaviour: UNDO, Check all is alright, and start again!

Hope this helps...
Attachments:

Clips disappearing from timeline and gap clips changing length ... 15 Feb 2016 04:14 #73335

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
I'm pretty sure this is/was an problem that was addressed in FCP X 10.2 (I think) In any case, Upgrading to 10.2.3 (latest version) should resolve it.
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

• Page: