• Page:

TOPIC: Resolve 12 Beta is out!

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 27 Jul 2015 09:46 #66872

• JPM Editor
  • JPM Editor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Resolve 12 Beta is out. Download available here: www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

It seems like a big step up from the previous version, with improved performance, tons of new features, and of course, better interoperability with FCPX, as Alex Gollner points out in his blog :

• VST and AU Audio Plugin Support
  • Support for FCPX XML 1.5 DTD roundtrip
  • Support for multicam and audio layout for FCPX XML roundtrip (FCPX roles translated into properly named tracks in Resolve?)
  • Media storage sub-clip generation (reduce footage to that used in timeline plus handles)
  • Export to ProTools (No need for X2Pro anymore?)
  • QuickTime support for DNxHR codec

More info about the new features here .

I guess we can consider now Resolve12 another major player in the NLE wars:

So let's start the debate! B)

At the cost of which NLE will Resolve 12 grow its user base? FCP7? Premiere Pro CC? Media Composer? Or perhaps FCPX? Less likely, but, since interoperability between FCPX and Resove keeps getting better, many X users will choose to finish in Resolve12 for free rather than spending money on plug-ins and add-ons for FCPX.

Also, Resolve 12 might appeal to those few X users not fully convinced with the magnetic timeline, and/or those that are tired of waiting for Apple to address long time feature requests

In any case, I think it's time for Apple to step up its game and amaze us with a really big FCPX update, don't you?

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JPM Editor. Reason: Picture not uploaded properly

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 27 Jul 2015 14:12 #66876

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
It is great for finishing and going across platforms, but the NLE functions are still clunky, awkward and slow. But we can clearly see the direction it is going in. The three big NLEs will have to get on the ball to stay ahead of Resolve's editing future. I believe Apple will "wow" us in time.

Last edit: by BenB.

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 27 Jul 2015 14:49 #66878

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

BenB wrote: The three big NLEs will have to get on the ball to stay ahead of Resolve's editing future. I believe Apple will "wow" us in time.

I hope so, Ben. Developing a completely new paradigm (like Apple is doing) takes more time than simply implementing cool new features into an established paradigm (like BMD, Adobe & Avid are doing). Nevertheless, we must admit that the development pace of Resolve in the past years is quite impressive.

I really think Resolve 12 is aiming to those editors unable to wrap their heads around metadata driven workflows and trackless editing, mainly FCP Classic, Premiere and Media Composer editors. Also, let's not forget that Resolve 12 is free and that many Adobe and Avid editors might be put off by their recent subscription models.

For FCPX editors, once you get used to trackless editing, it's harder to switch to a traditional track based paradigm (even if it's free). Specially if FCPX is the first system you learnt. But for those with previous experience in any classic track based edit system, Resolve might seem a very attractive finishing cross platform tool. That's one of the reasons why Blackmagic keeps on improving FCPXML support in each new version of Resolve.

Staying in FCPX for finishing might save you the time and hazle of roundtripping, but it has an extra cost since you probably have to invest in plug-ins and add-ons.

On the other hand, going to Resolve might give some headaches to FCPX users still, but it offers them many advanced tools for free.

It's really great to have so many options these days!

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Attachments:

Last edit: by JPM Editor. Reason: Image removed

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 27 Jul 2015 17:28 #66886

• cv21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
First sorry for english.

I work in a local tv. After using the different version of Final Cut, I use "with happiness" for over 2 years FCPX !
Thanks to his simplicity, Motion graphic templates , this tool is very fast, so ideal for news in a small business.
FCPX work like a horse !

We mainly use medium range imac and Resolve is not compatible with this kind of machine ! So, it's free but we have no choice. To do graphics for shows Resolve don't seems to be as easy/quick as FCPX / Motion.

The magnetic timeline from FCPX is top, back is really painful ...

Resolve may be a good choice for commercials and it will be a great filmmaker with fusion 7 for free.

Resolve it's not the tool I need now...but one day I will replace my imac ;)

I never like Adobe Premiere, Avid Comp. Light works is special...The simplicity of hitfilm is a good way but is not very broadcast...Edius and Sony Vegas work like horses too...but I don't like windows... :silly: sorry, FCPX is not perfect but I love it !

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 27 Jul 2015 18:52 #66889

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Been working with it for awhile. Give it another 2 years and Resolve could become a very attractive editing tool. Possibly a serious contender to other track-based NLEs in the near future, but IMO not a contender to FCP X. 80% of all FCP X users don't need anything Resolve has to offer, and they will find it much too convoluted just for editing work. The other 20% will discover that FCP X and Resolve are slowly evolving into being perfect companions. Together they could make a very powerful combination.

- Ronny

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 28 Jul 2015 11:58 #66906

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
We are almost reaching 2016 and still most NLEs keep trying to appeal to legacy Final Cut Pro users by recycling its ideas. In some cases, they are improving upon them a bit, but clearly innovation in the NLE world can only come from one place at this point: Final Cut Pro X. ;)

Cheers,

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Attachments:

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 28 Jul 2015 12:19 #66909

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Love that graphic! I may have to post that a few places.

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 28 Jul 2015 13:57 #66913

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

BenB wrote: Love that graphic! I may have to post that a few places.

Thanks for the comment, Ben!

Feel free to post it wherever you want.

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 28 Jul 2015 14:24 #66916

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I'm hoping to use Resolve 12 as a full finishing tool, eliminating the need for a roundtrip. I prefer to edit in FCPX because the magnetic timeline is so fluid and the keyword/metadata support is so powerful. I find it's much better to figure out the creative challenges of the story that way. However, resolve's color correction and tracking tools can not be beat. It will be nice to go into resolve and not have to go back to FCPX since now we have the ability to make edit tweaks in Resolve.

Also looking into using Resolve as a Pre-FCPX tool for injesting dailies...

Overall, I think you have to have a job that requires that level of complexity to make it worth it. As Ronny said, 80% of users will probably never need or take advantage of the tools Resolve has and find themselves perfectly at home staying in FCPX.

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 29 Jul 2015 01:41 #66942

• Gudgefilm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
When sending from FCPx to resolve for finishing, are there any errors you have to work around, or is it pretty seamless now? We haven't tried roundtripping with XML since an experience a few years ago where we couldn't get Resolve to interpret the multicam footage. Would love to hear that's not an issue anymore or if there's a simple workaround.

(FWIW, we do send to colorists still, but usually just a flattened file with XML).

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 29 Jul 2015 07:36 #66944

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have used Resolve as a editor and yes it not as fast as the traditional editor.
I agree it is great to finish and do some changes but the then that I would stay with a NLE.

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 29 Jul 2015 09:40 #66951

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

AppleGuru wrote: I have used Resolve as a editor and yes it not as fast as the traditional editor.
I agree it is great to finish and do some changes but the then that I would stay with a NLE.

Have you used Resolve 11 or the Resolve 12 Beta version? The point of the newest version is that in fact it works as fast as you would expect from a non linear editor (which surely wasn't the case with Resolve 11).

Gudgefilm wrote: We haven't tried roundtripping with XML since an experience a few years ago where we couldn't get Resolve to interpret the multicam footage. Would love to hear that's not an issue anymore or if there's a simple workaround.

That issue has been fixed: Resolve is now fully compatible with FCP X multicam. The reason it wasn't in the previous version, is because Resolve 11 didn't have multicam editing capabilities yet. But Resolve 12 does.

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 29 Jul 2015 12:27 #66953

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Are referring to technical speed?
In my case I am referring performance AND workflow within Resolve.

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 29 Jul 2015 14:33 #66967

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
No, even in the latest beta release, the GUI does not allow for fast work. It is still clunky and slow to move around in.

Resolve 12 Beta is out! 29 Jul 2015 14:35 #66969

• Gudgefilm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

@jesus_edits wrote: That issue has been fixed: Resolve is now fully compatible with FCP X multicam. The reason it wasn't in the previous version, is because Resolve 11 didn't have multicam editing capabilities yet. But Resolve 12 does.

Fantastic news. Thanks.

• Page: