fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 01 Sep 2015 23:55 #67892

• Slaughter
  • Slaughter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok, so I'm working on my video clip and I have had to replace the music with an updated version of the song. Being a video clip, the audio track is basically the primary storyline to which all of my video is being edited.

But hang on - *this* is happening when I try and overwrite my updated audio track to primary story line:

Notice how "overwrite to primary storyline" is greyed out.

I have tried searching for the phrase "overwrite to primary storyline" here at the forum, but either the search function does not work very well or unbelievably there is no topic containing this subject here - which I find doubtful. So apologies if this is covered somewhere else, but I did look.

According to Apple, at support.apple.com/kb/PH12547?locale=en_US
"The Overwrite to Primary Storyline command is not available for audio-only clips. " Which is great, especially since they don't tell us how to overcome the problem.

Any help appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 02 Sep 2015 09:02 #67901

You have a gap clip on the primary storyline? Use Shift-F to find the audio file in browser and use the replace function to replace the gap clip.

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 02 Sep 2015 11:07 #67904

• Slaughter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks, but when I follow these instructions:

support.apple.com/kb/PH12540?locale=en_US

"To perform a standard replace edit: Press Shift-R."

All that happens is that Mac OS "Boop" sound, i.e. Mac language for "NO."

Finding the audio file that I want to use instead, to overwrite to the primary story line, does not provide any option to add to the primary story line. I can't drag anything from the browser. It's already in my time line, anyway, but the "overwrite to primary storyline" is greyed out.

Still stuck...

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 02 Sep 2015 11:44 #67907

Do you have the gap clip selected on the primary storyline when you execute the replace?

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 02 Sep 2015 12:30 #67910

• Slaughter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I do. I get that "boop" whether I have the gap selected, or the original audio track as primary storyline selected.

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 02 Sep 2015 12:38 #67912

I can't reproduce this problem. If the gap clip is selected and the audio is in the browser and you press the replace shortcut or drag the audio onto the gap clip and use the replace function it always works.

Also if you have the audio selected in the browser and press D for overwrite the audio overwrites into the primary storyline. You have to execute the edit from the browser.

"the original audio track as primary storyline selected."

You have no audio on the primary storyline. I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 03 Sep 2015 00:03 #67950

• Slaughter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Tom.

Tom Wolsky wrote: I can't reproduce this problem. If the gap clip is selected and the audio is in the browser and you press the replace shortcut or drag the audio onto the gap clip and use the replace function it always works.

Not for me.. In fact it doesn't look like that browser is designed for items to be dragged from it at all - I'm running 10.1. When I try to drag audio from there, absolutely nothing happens...

Tom Wolsky wrote: Also if you have the audio selected in the browser and press D for overwrite the audio overwrites into the primary storyline. You have to execute the edit from the browser.

Cool, I will try this...!
I will also re-try everything else and double check I am following all instructions correctly...

Tom Wolsky wrote: "the original audio track as primary storyline selected."

You have no audio on the primary storyline. I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

Sorry - what I meant was I have tried the replace function not only using the *gap* clip, but also when the primary story line is populated by the audio track that I want to replace. When it's there as primary storyline, I have tried all iterations I can find of the "replace function" and all I get is that infuriating "boop" with no error message.

Most confounding is that in the first place the "overwrite to primary storyline" option is greyed out when I want to replace my primary audio track. Does anyone know why FCPX won't let you change your mind about your mix?

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 03 Sep 2015 00:34 #67951

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Yes, you can very easily drag-and-drop edit, from the Browser to the Timeline. I'm replacing (both dragging and Shift-R) with no issues. Overwrite with D works just fine, also. There is no simple Replace Edit command in the menus. Yeah, for some reason the Overwrite To Primary Storyline won't work for audio files. No clue why...

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 06 Sep 2015 09:31 #68090

• Slaughter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ok, Shift + R definitely is a lie and does not work.
However, I just realised there is a different audio browser you can bring up on the RHS of the workspace, which links with my iTunes library. Once I converted the track to Apple Lossless and made it available via my iTunes library, it came up there and managed ti drag it across no probs. I was until now looking at the other browser on the left side of the screen... duh!

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 07 Sep 2015 21:32 #68157

I’m working on a music video now, and to replace audio in the primary storyline with a new version, 'Shift + R' works just fine for me (10.2.2), note that you have to have a selection made in both the timeline and the event browser.
The 'D' key also works fine, again you have to have a section in the browser and the timeline.
Any section in the event browser can be dragged to the timeline, this is how most inexperienced editors get started editing.

All of these techniques require a selection to be made in the browser first, either by using the ‘I’ and ‘O’ keys, by ‘Option Dragging’ across a clip, or by clicking and/or dragging on a clip that hasn’t been previously selected.

FCPX has been well designed for editors who prefer to use a mouse (either because they can’t type well, or they’re to lazy to learn the keyboard shortcuts, just switched from iMovie of another "beginner" editor, or maybe it just helps them be more creative.) and the magnetic timeline works very well for that style of editing.

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 06 Nov 2016 11:01 #82282

I had the same problem and I finally found out that overwrite is greyed out if the length of the audio is bigger than your primary storyline length. This is the case for the current version that I am working with (10.3). The trick to add gap at the end of the storyline doesn't work, so the best alternative is to trim music, overwrite and extend.

Hope that helps

V.

"Overwrite to Primary Storyline" Greyed Out for New Audio in Music Video 03 May 2021 13:19 #114300

Sometimes this could also happen when you have cuts that don't fall within the frame boundary. Zoom in a lot and make sure the cuts at the head and tail of a clip are within frame boundaries.

• Page: