fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ?

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 16 Sep 2015 19:16 #68607

• manoucho
  • manoucho's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Hello

Now that I'm starting to mix my work with a DAW, I realize that:

- when I do a manual audio cross fade in FCPX, I think I'm saving time, but because of the trackless timeline it becomes 2 different tracks in Pro Tools / Logic.

So I'm wondering what is more efficient. Just make "simple" cuts in FCPX ?

Then I can simply make a cross-fade in LPX in one click on one single track, instead of having to deal with 2 different tracks.

And, what about J-cuts ?

I'm new to this so I'm wondering what the best practices are. I' a beginner with DAWs, so I might not have the right mindset.

Thanks for the help !!

Any advice welcome !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 05:44 #68625

Hey Manu,

Many tracks are not a bad thing in a DAW. Classic audio engineers will never put "audio dissolves" between clips on the same track. They will move the clips to different tracks so they overlap, and then they will carefully shape the audio transition between the two clips with keyframes. Much more precise than canned transition effects. That's also how you can do it in FCP X.

If you want to do your audio mixing yourself: either do everything inside FCP X (which is perfectly possible), or only do J- and L-cuts in FCP X and do all the other audio work inside the DAW. Never mind how many tracks you get in a DAW. Audio people love to see many, many tracks. And use color tags to organize them visually.

Although FCP X XML 1.5 translates audio from FCP X to Logic better than ever before, it's always better to go through X2Pro. Because that utility creates an AAF (based on Roles), which is something all DAWs understand.

- Ronny

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 15:24 #68636

I agree with Ronny. I do all of my J and L cuts in FCP X and I do heavy mixing in LPX.

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 16:04 #68639

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you thank you thank you guys. Very helpful.

I use X2Pro (I think the correct way as it always worked well with Pro Tools), but I still get many problems with Logic Pro X. Some clips diseappear, some are out of sync, some are too short. Do you trust it 100% ?

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 18:16 #68645

There really shouldn't be any difference, and this has nothing to do with FCP X, ProTools or Logic. AAF is an industry standard, which means it should work the same within any application that supports it. If it doesn't, this means that the AAF created with X2Pro does not fully comply with the standard. Which would explain why the X2Pro website says that ProTools is the only officially supported workflow although people have reported X2Pro working fine with Logic, Nuendo and Pyramix.

So if you use exactly the same AAF created from within X2Pro in ProTools and in Logic and you see any difference, you should report this to the X2Pro developers. It's up to them to create a fully compliant AAF.

- Ronny

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 18:25 #68646

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Ronny.

I understand what you say and I trust you 100%. Yet, last year for the shortfilm you know, my AAF was making tons of strange stuff in LPX, and would work really well in Pro Tools. Graeme from the X2Pro team confirmed this.

Could it be that LPX is not too accurate at importing AAF ? I would find it very surprising, but I see this kind of threads:

discussions.apple.com/thread/5446403

Last edit: by manoucho.

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 18:44 #68647

I think the thread you have linked to confirms what I said.

The guy had a problem with importing an AAF file created in Media Composer. That AAF did not work in Logic. But when he opened the AAF in PT and he exported a new AAF from ProTools, this AAF suddenly worked well in Logic. I think this clearly shows that Logic correctly handles an AAF coming from an application that creates fully compliant AAF files.

- Ronny

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 19:00 #68648

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, I understand what you say now.

Unfortunately the X2Pro team doesn't seem to be very willing to change things.

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 19:14 #68649

I can understand this. Creating a fully compliant AAF that works with any DAW is much more complex than creating an adapted AAF for one specific application. As FCP X XML is evolving vey fast, I think it's not worth for them to concentrate on anything else than ProTools (which cannot read XML).

- Ronny

Do you make your audio cross-fades in FCPX or in Pro Tools / Logic ? 17 Sep 2015 19:21 #68652

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
OK. So let's wait a few more months then, and see what the LPX/FCPX roundtrip will give.

• Page: