Well something happened between 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 making it over 3 times slower. Also the fact that "better" and "faster" takes exactly the same time to render means something is not as it is intended. I would call that a bug... "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways."
BenB wrote: Interlace should take longer than progressive. ....
btmk, encoders work dividing a frame into 'blocks'; interlace now rips such a 8x8-block into parts, the fields; so, there's lots of back'n forth calculation involved, what could be compressed in this field or the other .... = time.-
interlaced is no 'up to date' technique...... stay away from it
You're comparing the speed of one software version to another based on something one version can do and the other cannot. That's just ridiculous.
Not sure where you got that definition from, but it's incredibly stupidily phrased. An unexpected result is based on an assumption of foreknowledge of an expected result. You can't do that in this instance because you have no previous knowledge or result to compare it to. No previous version could encode interlaced H.264.
Yes it could. You could do a "mastering" export of an interlaced timeline and choose the H264 codec and get a correct .mov h264 interlaced file. This is what takes 3 times as long now and this is the real issue for me.
What's new in 10.2.2 is the ability to do an interlaced h264 output using the "publishing" export. However this is irrelevant to me since I need to use "mastering" to get multiple audio track using roles.
Either way this feature is also broken since "faster" is just as slow as "better".
To sum up: You could always do an interlaced h264 export using "mastering", but in 10.2.2 it is over 3 times as slow as in previous versions. That is the main issue.
I am getting true interlaced 25i master h264 and prores exports from both 10.2.1 and 10.2.2. I have checked the files for "interlaced lines" when displaying both fields in VLC and on a true 25i output from a Blackmagic to a tv.
However I am seeing the same thing as you when playing back the prores and h264 files in Quicktime. It seems like Quicktime is only displaying one field on the h264 file. Have you tried vlc with deinterlacing turned off?
I am also getting about 25% larger files from 10.2.2.
Hi, I have EXACTLY the same experience as you!
I have an iMac 2012 with i7 and NVIDIA 1GB graphics. It exported very fast 1080/25i XDCAM EX to H.264.
After the update from FCPX 10.2.1 to 10.2.2 this became very slow almost 6 (!!!) times slower than before. I started phoning with Apple, but there is no solution right now.
No solution is to install CUDA drivers for the NVIDIA. Exporting worked always without CUDA drivers, and installing the actual drivers will not solve the problem.
A possible solution is to get "Quick sync" working. But I have no idea how this should happen. Quick Sync is a hardware encoder from Intel that is inside the i7 Chip (or maybe on the Intel GPU of the i7).
With 10.2.1 the Export uses Quick Sync and this EVEN WORKS WITH INTERLACED 1080/25i ! You can check this with "Activity monitor" in Applications/Utilities. When using hardware encoding by Quick Sync the CPU will export with about 30% activity and will be very fast. When NOT using Quick Sync the activity of the CPU will be at 80% and will be very slow.
When FCPX changed to 10.2.2 this use of hardware encoding broke down. I don't know why. With a Mac Pro you won't see this, because it has not the hardware encoder of an i7. So for example a MacBook 2012 i7 Quad NVIDIA 1 GB RAM was faster in exporting to H.264 FullHD interlaced than a Mac Pro.
For me this is a big problem, because I can not update to 10.2.2 and have to keep may Macs with Yosemite until this is fixed. Will it be fixed? Exporting professional HD material to an exchange format as H.264 interlaced at that speed WAS an big advantage of FCPX. Apple said, they would bring H.264 interlaced to 10.2.2, but in fact it already worked very good and very very fast in 10.2.1.
Hi all... brand new to this... and do not really understand most of the jargon... but I am having the same download troubles.... to the point where I have now had 10 attempts to down load a 6.05Gb project to a USB so we can watch it on the TV.
messages keep coming saying the "export of the project has failed.
I have down loaded this project many times before for friends.... and it used to take me about 2 minutes.... now... with 10.2.2.... about 15 minutes into it... at about 85% down loaded.... and up comes the failure message!.
Don't know about this "interlaced " stuff... all I wan to do is export (copy in high Quality) and watch it.