fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to best import my vhs tapes for storage and use in FCPX

How to best import my vhs tapes for storage and use in FCPX 16 Jan 2016 12:30 #72266

• sibeal.hill
  • sibeal.hill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey! I'm trying to transfer a lot of precious VHS material to digital, and have bought FCPX. I'm using ADVC110 to capture and the videos import fine directly into my library in fcpx. But because of the time-code breaks in old VHSs, it is a bit messy with many little clips, and I'm concerned if it is the best way to store the raw data. I've read that for storage purposes it can be better to create camera archives of the material first. However, when I've tried that, the archive file is grayed out and in the finder it is 0 bytes. I just really want a safe and secure way to capture, store and organize my raw data before the tapes deteriorate. And am very confused as to which approach is best. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to best import my vhs tapes for storage and use in FCPX 17 Jan 2016 20:00 #72303

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Hi Sibeal, welcome to the forum.

Digitizing VHS has always been tricky because of the absence of a real timecode track. Because there is no timecode track, you won't be able to capture the tape as a camera archive in FCP X. VHS tapes can also contain drops and glitches that will cause interruptions in the digitized files. Unfortunately, the ADVC 110 does not provide time base correction to compensate these drops and FCP X will create new clips with every little glitch in your tape.

So if you experience a lot of difficulties capturing with FCP X, you could try to capure the tapes using QuickTime X instead. QTX ususally disregards little drops and glitches and just records the errors in the video file.

- Ronny

How to best import my vhs tapes for storage and use in FCPX 07 Feb 2016 18:26 #73082

• sibeal.hill
  • sibeal.hill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ronny! I was afraid of that. I might try QTX.

Thanks again for your reply!

• Page: