fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely?

Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely? 28 Feb 2016 00:11 #73826

• AndersM
  • AndersM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
There are rumors that OS X 10.12 will have Siri integration and I would love to see it used for speech analysis and automatic transcription of interviews in fcpx. Do you think this is realistic?

I think this would have the potential to be much better than Adobes solution since Siri seems quite capable and they have support for many more languages than Adobe.

If they open up Siri to developers I'm sure we could at least see some third party solutions in not too long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely? 28 Feb 2016 03:48 #73827

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
I highly doubt app specific Siri functions will be done any time soon.

Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely? 28 Feb 2016 08:07 #73828

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 665
… I'm noticing, there's a bit of confusion what Siri is. In short
Siri ≠ speech recognition ≠ voice control

speech recognition is built-in in MacOS, for quite a while (since Lion?), and avail system-wide. I am handicapped, so for 'typing' longer text, it comes handy and works surprisingly accurate - if there's no bg noise, if you speak loud'n clear, if you're not hasty, murmoring, 'slangy'....

Just give it a try with any of your interviews, the dirty DIY way: playback in camera and hold the loudspeaker to your macs mic... I dare to say, the fail quota is terrible high. Interviews are generally a talk btw two humans - so, you talk very naturally, you don't dictate…

Voice control... in FCPX? "Open a new Project", "Switch to event browser", … eeehh, that's done faster with a swipe/gesture on my MTP.... :)

Siri… is in MY humble understanding a sort of A.I. - limited in its areas (try to dictate a shopping list with 'exotics'/unknown words…), but smart in putting things in relation-to (that "Do I need tomorrow an umbrella" = tomorrow=>calender=>not Munich but Berlin=>check weather forecast for Berlin…)

speech recognitation would be a killer-feature.… for some of us = 3rd party plug-in… if there's an API for that...
voice-control - little use, imho. I favour gestures as superior
Siri for FCPX? ... what for?

Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely? 28 Feb 2016 20:52 #73846

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Adobe and Avid both tried it inside NLE's, it failed, it was horrible. Karsten is correct about SIRI, she is NOT dictation/translation software.

Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely? 29 Feb 2016 07:52 #73862

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 665

BenB wrote: … Karsten is correct about SIRI, she is NOT dictation/translation software.

… I guess, confusion comes up only because 'SIRI' got the generic term for 'voice input' - which is in marketing terms a huge success (velcro, aspirin, auto-tune, nutella…), but could confuse guys like me... ;)

or sports-reporter, naming 'surfaces' as 'ipads' ............ :lol:

Rumored Siri integration in OS X 10.12. Are fcpx benefits likely? 29 Feb 2016 09:23 #73865

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Remember that Siri takes time to really get to "learn" your unique voice, before she becomes fluent for you as an individual user. Not how you want an NLE voice recognition function to work. Even Dragon Dictation had to do a learning session before you could use it reliably. The technology simply isn't there yet. Very close, but not that reliable yet.

• Page: