fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: GoPro Imports

GoPro Imports 29 Feb 2016 09:43 #73869

• BenB
  • BenB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Is there any real reason to import GoPro cards as full cards? Or save them as full cards? Is there a reason to not just save the MP4 files alone? I do that easily with Zenmuse cameras, omitting the "private" folder. But on GoPros, why do we really need all that other garbage? Just thinking out loud.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GoPro Imports 29 Feb 2016 09:53 #73870

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 665
no GoPro here... but what about GPS data, for example? Meta in general...?

analogy to AVCHD vs orphaned mts ...

GoPro Imports 29 Feb 2016 14:21 #73876

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
GoPros have no GPS data. And there's not much metadata I need besides content creation dates. Everything is pretty meticulously cataloged, so not much in the way of metadata I need. Besides, GoPro doesn't store much metadata at all. Really hoping GoPro changes their codec to be more like the DJI Zenmuse, just s folder of video files, nothing else, clean, simple.

OK, so any feedback from folks experienced with professional productions using GoPros?

Last edit: by BenB.

GoPro Imports 01 Mar 2016 05:14 #73900

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 665

BenB wrote: GoPros have no GPS data. …

really?! didn't imagine that ...

thought all those tiny boxes ask for wifi control via iPhone (no monitors) and for sure catch up location...
if you need GPS-data in a video, then in an action-cam ... LOL!!

sorry for being stupid .... :silly:

GoPro Imports 01 Mar 2016 12:19 #73908

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 370

BenB wrote: ...OK, so any feedback from folks experienced with professional productions using GoPros?

We have about a dozen GoPros, used for both video and time lapses. While you are supposed to keep all the extra files, I historically have not. I have thus far not seen a problem. My current practice is extract to a separate subfolder the extra files to get them out the way, but save them in case a future need/requirement is discovered.

With some cameras, the additional metadata files are needed for a spanned clip or other situations. So far I have not observed a problem in FCPX from missing GoPro metadata files. Proceed at your own risk.

GoPro Imports 01 Mar 2016 14:06 #73910

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Karsten, the drones GoPros are used with do GPS tracking, but none of that information is transferred to the GoPro camera itself. GoPro cameras have no GPS capabilities at all. All drones do.

FYI, I'm on a reality TV show shoot, where they are using 30 GoPro cameras. I will state here that GoPro needs to get on the ball, cause getting files from a Zenmuse is WAY easier. GoPros are great, but the codec and file structure and other issues are very outdated. They need to get on the ball and update realistically.

GoPro Imports 01 Mar 2016 23:20 #73927

• mobiletaylor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The only reason I could see saving the card intact is if you want to be able to import a portion of a clip. So you don't need to save the entire clip for just a small section. But I'm guessing you need to keep all the files anyways?

GoPro Imports 01 Mar 2016 23:25 #73928

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Right, we need to keep everything. I have done some testing, and GoPro clips show up the same in FCPX if they're just independent or part of the card structure. So, we may trash all that other garbage and just keep the MP4 files themselves. Seems very silly, especially since we're also using Zenmuse cameras (Osmo, Inspire) which don't have all that excess garbage (and are way better images).

Hey, if anyone has a solid reason to keep all of that extra garbage, PLEASE speak up. I'm all ears.

• Page: