fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;)

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 00:02 #76398

• wdevn
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I tried restarting the iPhone and still no audio from the speaker. Headphone yes....strange.
LLAP,
James
Taipei, Taiwan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 03:24 #76401

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Karsten Schlüter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 662

wdevn wrote: I tried restarting the iPhone and still no audio from the speaker. Headphone yes....strange.

could be a hardware glitch inside the hp connector - plug/unplug a few times... are these original hp from apple?

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 04:54 #76402

• wdevn
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Karsten,

This is a strange bug but one that can be fixed. If it's a hardware glitch why do other videos posted on this and other sites play well through the iPhone speaker? Also, videos posted on Youtube play play via the Youtube app correctly through the speaker.

The problem is with the audio phasing which is creating audio cancellation. I confirmed this by sending the audio through a DEQ2496 and an app from Voxengo and iZotope.

I'm afraid the sound needs some work. Rarely come across this.
LLAP,
James
Taipei, Taiwan

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 05:01 #76403

• Karsten Schlüter

wdevn wrote: ...
The problem is with the audio phasing which is creating audio cancellation. I confirmed this by sending the audio through a DEQ2496 and an app from Voxengo and iZotope....

ooops!
pixelcorps published a video with inverted phases?? That would be a new level of fail, after VUG#6 where they miss to switch on the hosts mic .. :silly:

and sorry for my 'advice'... lost on translation...

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 05:26 #76404

• wdevn
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
No Karsten! Sorry for the misunderstanding. Your "advice" IS needed! I may not have presented my question correctly. You and others here make this the best place to be for FCPX information.

Thanks!
LLAP,
James
Taipei, Taiwan

Last edit: by wdevn.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 11:40 #76417

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
So, you have this wonderful presentation that these guys rush to do after a hard day's work, do not get paid for (Ms. Justine can tell you how wrong that is to ever do), or you could have nothing. Which would you chose? Looking a gift horse in the mouth and all that. Very disappointing to see such a wonderful resource, given to us for free, get slammed for minor issues, rather than praised for the great information and discussion we get... FOR FREE. Very disappointing.

Where's the live discussion groups you guys are producing? Which one here is going to do it better themselves?

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 11:56 #76421

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
If you are going to do something, do it right the 1st time, I understand they are busy, and this is free, but Alex Lindsey is not as talented a host as he thinks he is, the problem is that a director free from the discussion controls the host, so that the host as often happens, gets caught up in the moment and it drags on and on.

This is not the first time VUG rambled on way past topic, the idea is great, it just needs to be controlled from outside of the discussion table. If they had a director directing Alex via earpiece, then more questions would be covered, more tips shown, a better product.

I know it can and should be better, this is the 7th iteration of VUG, and after at least the 5th, it should be tight as a drum, professional, but this is sloppy, unprofessional almost amateur hour!!

Great concept with the guests each having a monitor, but the one scene with the handheld, what was shown, out of focus, un-stabilized, under exposed, poor advanced planning.

To BenB "Ms. Justine can tell you how wrong that is to ever do" I have no idea what this sentence means, maybe something about being paid..not sure, I am aspie, and two thoughts in the same sentence confuses me!! Not sure you mean dont rush, dont get paid???

Look I am that kid in the fable that everyone in the village hates for asking the right question, deal with it, I am not going to stop asking good questions, if I see something is not right, I am going to question it, these guys are professional, they should produce as professionals!

I was disappointed as well, it would have been better to have waited a few days, edited it better, I did offer before to do the editing, we can practice, develop techniques about sending material and linking, I would love to write a fcp.co front pager...About how I edited it, how it was sent to me, how I linked back, and for mahala!!!

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 05 May 2016 13:29 #76425

• Karsten Schlüter

MsJustine wrote: … deal with it, I am not going to stop asking good questions, …

You don't ask questions, MSJustine.
You turn threads into an 'about me, MSJustine', ....

That's called threadjacking, a rude violation of manners.
And as Moderator, I'm in position to delete it from here.
Been there, done that, my threshhold is low leveled.

… and, besides, VUG is a recording of a live-edited talk... your suggestion, how you would do it, is irrelevant.
And it doesn't get 'better' by adding more tips. It's quality IS its unscripted free flow.

Just to make it clear: Topic is VUG#7
... not you, your mental condition, how you would handle things, your dreams being frontpage, etc. ....
Stay on topic, and check usage of words 'I', 'me', 'my' before hitting Submit....

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 06 May 2016 11:02 #76437

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 377
Ms Justine,

Please don't keep turning threads on to 'I could have edited this better' etc. etc. Pixel Corps provide the recording and publishing of the VUGs for free. We get what we are given and should be thankful for it.

If you have a problem with the show, contact them directly, not through here.

Ok, the technical quality of the latest VUG is now not an issue, we move on.

Peter
Administrator

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 06 May 2016 12:33 #76440

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Having produced "on the spot, last minute" panels like this, only in front of a large audience for events, this actually came out pretty well. So much can go wrong, so much does go wrong, you work with what you have.

If this had been pre-planned, everything set up the previous day, everyone showed up in the morning and did nothing but this production for a whole day, then I'd expect more.

But these guys are rushing to this, on their way home from work, to their families, tired, last minute, free form, improvising, i have to say it is a really good job.

The information about collaboration was priceless! The discussion was enlightening, and I remember a lot of that "ancient history" Alex brings up.

I also was interested when Alex pointed out how small some of these software development teams are. I'd not be surprised if FCPX only had 4 developers working on it. Having spent a couple of decades in a "previous life" as an IT engineer and project manager for a few different software companies, in enterprise level environments, I know that throwing more programmers on to a team doesn't always work. It can slow things down, and degrade quality in many situations.

I know the original FCP teams, just before and after Apple purchased it (anyone remember Macromedia), were really small. Amazing only a few folks can produce such amazingly powerful and flexible software. Most folks think it takes large armies of programmers to get things done. Nope, wrong. Software development is slow, painful, problematic, very difficult and can be mind numbingly frustrating. Kudos to Alex for pointing that out subtly.

Personally liked the lighting. It was personal, make it seem like the studio they were in was smaller than it actually was. Good editing, too. I wonder what those monitors were? And how they switched control of the FCPX Mac from user to user?

Attachments:

Last edit: by BenB.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 06 May 2016 14:23 #76448

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
I always look forward to new VUGs.
A mix of prepared tips and then banter from leading experts in the field. Having the option of asking questions during the live show, and being able to up-vote questions is icing on the cake.

Yep, being live can introduce issues. Sound was better this time around than last, but I did notice some background noise. I wonder if it was fan noise from the "Share Station" or some other equipment. Personally, I think this sound was getting amplified from all the mics (5 or more) on set. You can tell when mics were attenuated and when all were up.
I also think they attempted to EQ out the offending frequencies, so added some weird tones to vocals. Working in close proximity with multiple speakers all facing each other with lav mics can be a challenge.
Maybe there was some phase cancellation. Could this have been also from an echo reduction effect? Didn't have a problem hearing it though. This isn't audio for a CD or Hollywood film after all!

Found the topics interesting. Personally, not sure about VR/360, not my thing, but to see how others are adopting it and the growing demand made me think about it. I can see it for gaming (not a gamer myself) but for exploring locations, viewer immersion and control, OK. For story video, not so much. I do like hearing others opinions and seeing where it is going. Now when my new Holodeck arrives :silly:

Would like to hear more opinions about video delivery in terms of HDBlu-ray and HDR. Where do people see this going?

Sharing the library/project discussion was very intriguing.
The solution shown and now written by Mike M may move some more editors into the FCPX camp.
I think we will see some real improvements in the near future over this issue. Wonder if the next version of FCPX will open up some additional APIs and the Asset management in AVFoundation for even more sharing/multiple editors.

My biggest complaint with VUG is that I wish they would produce more of them. :)
Pixel Corps does offer "Double your money back" for any dissatisfied customers.

Happy editing everyone,
Greg

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 06 May 2016 15:23 #76449

• Unfenswinger
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 5
Wow, I'm surprised by the criticism. I work by myself or in a small team doing my/our own thing and don't come into contact with people using FCPX in the bigger shared workflows so it's always interesting and pleasing to hear how far people are pushing it and discovering that Apple really have thought extremely deeply about this application.

I feel I should be more interested in the VR and 360 video stuff but I'm not. It's either poor quality or ridiculously expensive and not much in between. I think 360 video could be potentially good for live concert broadcasting but I'm not so sure about narrative works. It seems to be more suited to Lumiere brothers spectacle gimmicks than something that's going to oust the TV in the room. I haven't yet seen the killer App for VR.

The problem with software development it doesn't scale linearly with the numbers of developers and can actually less efficient the more developers you add. I hope there are a similar number of FCPX developers as there are Motion developers as I think Motion will prove to be extremely important to FCPX in the future. If they want to keep FCPX as clean and uncluttered as possible then allow Motion to become a hardcore motion graphics template authoring application for the people who want the power to extend FCPX their own way.

There's obviously something big coming as there was a 'lot of energy in the room.' There's a lot of interesting patents that Apple has like the 'color cube' from Apple Color that they developed a long way to be used for keying and isolation that has yet to come to FCPX.

Looking forward to VUG8

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 06 May 2016 15:27 #76450

• Karsten Schlüter

VidGreg wrote: …Personally, not sure about VR/360, not my thing, but to see how others are adopting it and the growing demand made me think about it. I can see it for gaming (not a gamer myself) but for exploring locations, viewer immersion and control, OK. For story video, not so much. I do like hearing others opinions and seeing where it is going. Now when my new Holodeck arrives :silly:

Have you watched Alex Gollners presentation?
I'm a hefty nay-sayer of VR ("next 3D flop!"), but when Alex uses the controls in that Dashwood plugin, one thing instantly jumps into mind:

reframing.

And not only by bullying a rectangle upon a flat 4k plane (handy trick, used it for interviews: 1 camera, 3 pov) - no, 'in space'.

imagine a VRcam aside two persons, and in post you pan back'n forth ....
or, my domain, sports:
a VRcam at center-point over the playfield, and AFTER the move you follow the ball with your camera - without moving it!

... exotic, no mass market, games yes, AR yes (have a look at a tiny iOSapp called Photopills), fictional? no idea how that should work - but maybe VR will survive longer than 3Dtellies :)

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 06 May 2016 16:42 #76454

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I know a lot of us have, or currently to, spend a lot of time doing corporate video work. A sizable portion of that work can be product demos, or presentations about a product or system.

Here in Southeast Louisiana, I'm in the heart of major oil refinement, chemical processing plants. Many of them develop methods and machinery to do new things, old things more efficiently, and have to 1- train their employees and contractors, 2- get other plants to purchase and use it.

I see 360VR as the next hit in that area. A presenter can be talking about something, walk around, or stand still, surrounded by several phases of a product working, or by a complex system. From that a VR immersive training experience could be produced, a flat screen demo could be produced (cutting angles from the 360VR video), advertising, etc, from one production session.

But I don't see 360VR coming to televisions any time soon. Maybe to online/computer delivered content, yes. YouTube is supporting it already. But they support 4K playback, and next to no one has a 4K TV yet.

We will have to see what develops. Just like 3D and 4K, will it flop, float around in limbo, or pay out?

BTW, it never occurred to me they had to do noise reduction for the FCPVUG video. Now that I listen to it again, yes, that is exactly what I'm hearing in the audio. Artifacts from noise reduction.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 07 May 2016 02:09 #76465

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Don't need a 4K TV to experience VR. Check out Littlstar's app on the Apple TV4 - it's a decent proof of concept. I think for 360VR we're still in the very early stages, but unlike 3DTV I think it's a completely new art form. Much is different, the kinds of stories you tell are different.

I'm extremely passionate about it, and you'll probably see some more from me in the space shortly :)

360VR requires a bit of a hacked together solution for content creators and I've used FCPX and Dashwood and have gone to PPro for the moment until Apple decides to come to the party and update their equipment!

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 07 May 2016 13:28 #76468

• Unfenswinger
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
360 Video and VR both have several hurdles to overcome.

How does one light a scene and record sound when shooting 360Video? If I'm shooting even a simple corporate interview I'll have scrims over the windows, at least 3 point lighting and mic booms. I hear people saying, ah yes but you wouldn't use 360 for that! Why not, it's the brave new world? Production value is derived by lighting the scene and recording great sound but 360 Video would seem to mean dispensing with all that? Would my clients swap well lit and well recorded sound for the gimmick of a 360 video? Doubt it.

How does the camera operator move the camera to follow the talent or should the brave new world of 360 video settle for single POV globes? How does one edit a 360 video production? Editing skill would appear no longer necessary as one couldn't guarantee what the audience POV was at the time. Cutting from one scene to another would disorientate the audience very quickly.

Both 360 video and VR have a serious barrier to overcome and that's motion sickness, I don't think any of the vendors have got anywhere close to solving this and we're a million miles away from hollywood depictions of VR. The best they're able to do is come up with a load of joyless dos and don'ts which kinda misses the point especially in gaming.

I see a lot of blue sky thinking in this area but I have yet to see anything that doesn't scream gimmick. I'm not a luddite by any means I just don't see the profound next step (other than the huge price of doing it properly) that's going to make people sit up and put their feet through their oh so 2d TVs.

Last edit: by Unfenswinger.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 07 May 2016 15:13 #76472

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
Of course the best gimmick, when you do light your scene and have a sound engineer with his boom and all the other production crew around, is that you can sell the behind-the-scenes-making-of-deleted-scenes-bonus-dvd all in one go ;-)

Last edit: by rjvddoes.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 07 May 2016 15:23 #76473

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I think you guys should watch more VR content!

You absolutely can light a scene. You just shoot a plate and paint out the crew and the lights.

Sound? It's called a Lav mic - or you can paint out a boom. The presence of 3D sound is even more exciting.

You totally can edit, you just need to slow down your pace and pay attention to where the action and direction is. Good editing is essential in VR because bad pacing can ruin a film and distract from what the audience should look at.

You can move the camera. If you are designing for a headset, make sure you have either a platform or something to ground the viewer. But honestly most people are watching via facebook and youtube and for that, you don't need to keep the camera static. Although, with the ability to pan and tilt yourself, it rarely feels as static as you would think. And the camera operator doesn't need to follow the talent, the talent comes to the camera. It's a different medium with different ways of telling the story.

Yeah, we're in the early stages. Filmmaking in 1900 wasn't exactly the fast cutting crazy action movement it is today, ya know? But I've seen a lot of 360 content (including my own) with good production value.

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 07 May 2016 16:02 #76474

• Unfenswinger
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The 360 videos on YT just confirm all my doubts.

"You absolutely can light a scene. You just shoot a plate and paint out the crew and the lights.

Sound? It's called a Lav mic - or you can paint out a boom. The presence of 3D sound is even more exciting."

You make filmmaking sound so easy, I've probably been doing it all wrong all these years...

VUG 7 is out .... nurbz & Co mentioned ;) 07 May 2016 18:01 #76475

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Wow.

Not starting a 360 vs. 2D content debate! It's different. It's not going to replace anything. It's just a different way of telling stories.

Feel free to doubt all you want. Probably not going to affect your business anyway.

• Page: