fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 15 Jul 2016 20:50 #78652

Hello fcpX community!

We use lumberyard (a fantastic 3rd party app) to import transcripts into fcpX. This places the transcription metadata into the notes field within the specified TC ranges. Beautiful. However, the issue at hand involves X's search functionality.

The search result (at the Event and Library level) will yield the clip of the word/ phrase searched for, however it will not queue up the specific range it is located in. So if we have an interview that consists of 3 muliticams, it will correctly select the appropriate clip that the word is located, but will not highlight or single out the range it exists in.

We have tried searching in both list and filmstrip views, and though orange ranges will often appear, they do not contain the search request. We can toggle down the triangle and eventually find the correct range amidst all the others in the clip but that clearly defeats the purpose. The confounding thing is we have used this capability in the past with success yet cannot fathom what variable we have changed to not have the individual ranges be selected.

EditShare is our shared storage system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 16 Jul 2016 09:40 #78659

Hello, Joshua. Welcome to the forum!

I understand the issue you are having with the search functionality in FCP X.

If you want to see keyword ranges as individual items in the browser (instead of seeing them within the whole clip), you just need to click on the pertinent keyword collection in the Libraries panel. That's just the way FCP X works at the moment.

I understand that this is not ideal when searching... since quite often we don't know to which Keyword a particular Note is associated to.

With Favorite ranges, we can just filter the Browser to display "Favorites" (Ctrl F) and search by ranges. But unfortunately we don't have a filter that forces the Browser to display Keyword ranges (there is just an option to show clips with "No Ratings or Keywords", which isn't helpful in this case).

I think having an additional filter in the Browser called "Keywords" (Ctrl K is not currently in use and seems like a great shortcut to me) it would be a great addition to the app. If you agree, send feedback to Apple about this. I definitely will!

Cheers,

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Attachments:

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 16 Jul 2016 11:19 #78661

Hello again, Joshua.

Here's a "workaround" that might work for you, in case Apple takes too long to add this feature (or decides is not a good idea).

Keyword Filter (mockup)

Let me explain it step by step with an example:

1. Here is an event with 2 clips and a few keyword ranges. Notice that the event is selected on the Libraries panel.

2. If I type the word "off" in the Browser's search field, one of the clips will be filtered out and I will be left with just one clip. But I still see the whole clip, not just the Keyword range I'm interested in. That's obviously not what I want. So here's what you need to do.

3. Create a Smart Collection, filter by "Keywords" and make sure you "Check All" your keywords at once. Now you are isolating just the keyword ranges instead of displaying the whole clips.

4. Now, in order to do a text search, you would think you just have to add a "Text" filter in the Smart Collection and start typing... But strangely, this doesn't work as supposed to: FCPX will show the two ranges of the same clip, even though one of them doesn't match with the search criteria! To me, this looks clearly like a bug. But don't worry, here is how you fix it.

5. Delete the "Text" filter from the Smart Collection, and instead, type the text in the Browser's search field. Voila! You are effectively searching keyword ranges by text without having to select the Keyword Collection they belong to in the Libraries panel. :)

Let me know if this helps. Best,

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

Last edit: by JPM Editor.

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 17 Jul 2016 09:20 #78679

One more thing...

If you are working with a single event (or you know in which event you have to search), I recommend you to store your keywords within a Folder. This will allow you to select the main Folder and view keyword ranges in the Browser like you want to. As simple as that. A great tip from Patrick Southern! ;)

The Smart Collection trick is great if you have multiple keyworded events and want to make searches across all of them. In that scenario, you would have to create a Library Smart Collection with all the KW active, and select it before making any text search.

Jesús
@jesus_edits
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 17 Jul 2016 20:03 #78692

Jesús,

Thank you for such the thoughtful and detailed replies.

We have been mindful to let FCPX guide us towards best practices and not rely on old NLE thinking to power us forward and, as you 1st stated, we do try to make use of favorites and keyword collections as a general rule.

However, we wanted to have it all and with your workaround it seems like we do!

I was able to pull ranges based on the text search as you outlined. For our interviews, the name of the subject is a keyword in each range so all of the content will fall under at least these keyword umbrellas which allows for the search to have access to complete transcript. Love it.

For the vérité footage I'll just need to make sure all of the notes field has keyword in such a way to make use of the full transcript, as we have been making in house transcripts of that material and then ingesting into fcpX through lumberyard .

Thanks again!

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 31 Oct 2020 01:25 #110659

• enno
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Fantastic. Still works in 2020.

Search Functionality: Notes Field and Ranges 07 Jan 2021 10:52 #111973

wheeeey i was looking for years to have this functionality! sometimes it takes for some time!!!
I use simon says all the time, so for me its crucial to have access to the transcript!

but it truly only worked if i actually made a clickable smart selection in the sidebar! if I only worked this in the search window it didnt work.

Last edit: by Franke. Reason: i did it wrong in the first place
  • Page: