fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 07 Nov 2016 15:29 #82347

I'm asking here before I revert back to my previous workflow. I looked to see if the newest update could export my timeline as this and I can't find anything that allows me to do so.
I see that the Pro Video Formats update added "ProRes wrapped in MXF OP1a file container," so I was hopeful.
Someone please prove me wrong, so I don't have to export the video and then transcode it in Adobe Encoder.

In Adobe Encoder-
Format: MXF OP1a
Preset: XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 07 Nov 2016 18:54 #82358

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 644
You mean this, in the Master File share window?

Attachments:

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 07 Nov 2016 20:01 #82368

Hi Jared,

Yes you can export your timeline as MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 60i, but the bitrate and quality will be a little higher. Let me explain.

XDCAM HD 18 60i is a low quality format running at 18 Mbps. From within FCP X you can either export at 25, 30, 35, 40 or 50 Mbps depending on the format you chose. If your delivery is for broadcast, the lowest you can provide is 25 Mbps. So if you export your MXF at 25 Mbps you will be fine. But most broadcasters will ask for 50 Mbps because the quality is much higher and it has 4:2:2 color compression.

Now how do you export MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 25 60i from FCP X?

Let's get one thing straightened out fro the start: 60i is nothing more or less than 29,97 fps interlaced. So your frame rate setting needs to be 29,97. Your format is probably 1080i, otherwise it would not make sense to use the XDCAM HD codec at all. So now all you need to do is to create a custom Compressor preset for this format, and you will be able to use this preset to export your MXF straight from the FCP X timeline.

1. To create your custom preset:

Launch Compressor and select the 1080i29.97 XDCAM HD 422 50 Mbps preset in your Custom > MXF folder:

Duplicate this preset and change the name to 1080i 29.97 XDCAM HD 25 (or any name you wish).

Then select the new preset and in the Inspector, under General Properties, click the Configure button. This will open the MXF configuration window:

Select 25 Mbps as your bitrate and select the number of audio channels you need to export. Then click OK.

2. To use your preset in FCP X:

Select the project you want to export, then press the Share button and in the Share window select Add Destinations.
In the Destinations window, drag the Compressor Settings symbol onto the Destinations list. This will open a list of available Compressor presets. Select the preset you just created and press OK:

The preset will now be available in FCP X, and any time you need to export an MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 60i file you will only need to select this preset in the Share list and you're done:

- Ronny
Attachments:

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 07 Nov 2016 20:29 #82372

Thanks for the responses.

The station has asked for 18 Mbps. I'm going to try out the 25 Mbps again to see if maybe they've changed something to allow it.

Ever since I've needed to give them videos I've been able to do 25 Mbps in FCPX. However, since they needed 18 Mbps, I had to export through Adobe Encoder. I was hoping this update would allow me to stay in FCPX.

So, if the station still requires 18, it looks like I'll have to renew my Adobe subscription.

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 07 Nov 2016 20:45 #82380

Maybe it's because they use an old server or they have limited space? Anyway, I would be surprised if they wouldn't be able to play files at 25 Mbps. I honestly don't think 18 Mbps will ever be an option in FCP X because I don't know any station here that uses MXF@18 Mbps. 25 Mbps is the lowest quality I have ever needed to send, and most European stations even require 50 Mbps.

- Ronny

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 07 Nov 2016 21:45 #82393

It's a public access station, so I expect that they're about 10 years behind in technology :)

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 23 Jun 2021 01:42 #115115

To Mr. Ronny Courtens, I too thank you for these responses. I too find myself needing to submit to a network (first time with no schooling or prior experience). I noticed the specs Mr. Schwyhart posted and they looked to be the same I needed:Sony MXF (OP-1A) XDCAM HD 4221280 X 72050.0 MBPS8 channels of audio( even if only two are active, all 8 need to be present)59.94 Drop Frame TC with a 1 hour start************************************************************Compressor is my reason for piggy backing on this thread. I couldn't understand what you meant by custom preset. It's not a preset I'm showing in Compressor. But it's one I'd like to make for myself. One that matches the specs I posted above. To add, when trying to make the preset from scratch, I could not find interlaced as an option. Only Progressive and Top First? (maybe that's how interlaced is since it's every other or something like that?) I do appreciate any feedback and if I need to clarifying anything, happy to do my best.

Thank you,

Brandon

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 23 Jun 2021 14:55 #115122

Hey Brandon!

Compressor has changed a little since the initial post. But here's the way to do this now:

Press the + button on the bottom left of the Settings window and choose New Setting. A window will open where you can select the format of your setting. Select MXF. Then give the setting a name and click OK. The new setting will appear under Custom settings in the Compressor Settings window.

Select the new setting, then click the Video tab in the Inspector to configure the preset according to the specifications of your network. In this case:

1. Set Frame size to 1920x1080

2. Set Frame rate to 29,97fps.

Do NOT use 59,94. If you choose 59,94, you will not be able to select interlaced (top-first) and your frame size will be constrained to 1280x720.

29,97fps will output 59,94 interlaced NTSC fields. I know it's confusing, but everything interlaced is confusing. If you want to go all crazy on this, read this explanation why you always should use 29,97fps for HD interlaced: www.provideocoalition.com/field_order/

3. Set Field order to Top First (=interlaced HD).

4. Make sure the Codec is set to XDCAM HD 422 (50Mbps), which is the default.

5. Set Start time code to 01:00:00;00 and check the Drop frame checkbox.

6. Click the Audio tab in the Inspector and make sure that Channel layout is 8 Discrete channels, Sample rate is 48kHz and sample size is 24 bits (the default settings).

You should be good to go.

- Ronny

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 23 Jun 2021 15:53 #115124

Really great stuff and so appreciated. And yes, interlaced is confusing lol.

I still have a little confusion. If they're requesting 1280X720.... are you stating that 1920X1080 Fram size using a 29.97 frame rate is the same as 1280X720?

Thanks again Ronny :)

MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 18 NTSC 60i 23 Jun 2021 17:04 #115126

No problem!

I only see now that you had given 1280x720 as the specified frame size. I did not even think about 1280x720 because 1280x720 interlaced does not exist, not anywhere in the world. You don't have to take my word for this, just google "1280x720 interlaced" and you will find this information:

720i (720 lines interlaced ) is an erroneous term found in numerous sources and publications. Typically, it is a typographical error in which the author is referring to the 720p HDTV format. However, in some cases it is incorrectly presented as an actual alternative format to 720p. No proposed or existing broadcast standard permits 720 interlaced lines in a video frame at any frame rate.

A simple test: create a new project in FCP and watch the possible Video settings. You will see that you can create a 1080p or a 1080i project, but you can never create a 720i project.

I don't know where those people get the idea that 1280x720 interlaced video even exists. So I would advise you to get back to them with this information and ask for the correct specifications.

I really think they mean 720p, which is a standard video format. In that case, just modify your Compressor setting so the Frame size is 1280x720, Frame rate is 59,94fps (the standard frame rate for
MXF XDCAM HD 1280 X 720) , and Field order is progressive.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.
  • Page: