Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.3 issues

10.3 issues 14 Nov 2016 23:49 #82768

• Shawnfcp
  • Shawnfcp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Overall I like the new additions to 10.3 and I hope they continue to add functions that we've been asking for to help speed up the editing process, but has anyone else found 10.3 to be extremely buggy? I work in FCPX all day long 5 days a week (unless I'm out on a shoot) producing commercials and long form segments for clients and I have found 10.3 to be riddled with bugs and slowdowns that have me pulling my hair out! Far more than I experienced with 10.2.3.

When I get a few minutes I'll have to go through some of them.

Just to point out I work with dual monitors and have found many of the bugs have to do with screen arrangements and functionality when using a two monitor layout. Though the bugs are not limited to this.

Thanks,
Shawn

Late 2013 Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Dual Apple Thunderbolt Displays
64 Gigs of Ram
Dual AMD FIrePro D700 Graphics cards
AJA IOXT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10.3 issues 15 Nov 2016 00:05 #82770

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 415
I have three Macs I work on daily. A 2010 standard Mac Pro with 16 GB RAM that is really slow and buggy. And a 2013 rMBP 15", and a 2013 MP with 32 GB RAM and dual D700 GPUs. These two Macs run plenty fast enough, very smooth, very few bugs.

A major upgrade like this is bound to have its share of bugs. I'm sure, as usual, in another month or so we'll see a bug fix update and all will be well.

10.3 issues 15 Nov 2016 04:50 #82774

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 697
Could you give specific instances. Has your third party hardware and software been updated to support 10.3?

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 02:38 #82802

• Sefanzed
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I've found it to be more unstable than actually buggy. I'm on a trashcan mac, 10.12.2, 64 gig ram, Pegasus tb raids...
Doing a lot of keying/masking/sandwiching with Red raw files in 4k. Typically crashing 5-6 times during a 4 hour editing session. Helium (whatever that is) thread is the culprit 9 out of 10 times. I'm working 2 displays, 1 is a 4k 31" LG the other is a 'classic' 30" DVI apple cinema display. Kona 3G card outputting to HD monitor via HDMI.

Don't know where the issue might be. I'm using the latest Red workflow and AJA updates.

Also having issues returning focus to the timeline from the browser window (on 2nd display) when auditioning/placing audio from the audio (in system folder) into the timeline. Cmd 2 doesn't work to refocus for playback. Have to use Cmd1 first, which of course, displays the video browser making it necessary to reselect the audio library... PITA.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 03:13 #82806

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I'm on a NMP with 64GB RAM and Pegasus Thunderbolt drives--I find 10.3 to be very crashy and beach bally. Half the time when I go to export, it freezes up my entire system and half to do a hard reboot, which is horrible for my drives.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 04:48 #82811

• Sefanzed
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I submitted the info in a feedback form. Have no idea if anyone even bothers to look at those. Fingers crossed for a minor upgrade to address stability issues soon.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 06:43 #82814

• Tom Wolsky
Try testing with a new admin user. If this persists you should take the system to a service technician.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 06:44 #82815

• lightgale
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
anyone having the ”system ran out of application memory” message (or should I call it error) more often than not?

No effect or third party plug-ins used, just waiting to render or sometimes after the background rendering finished, or while exporting, I can usually edit for lots of minutes, but sometimes the very same footage gives me this nice warning, I could not identify a pattern.
Looking at the activity monitor, FCPX uses increasingly more and more memory, starts under 1 GB, then as renders (or whatever it's doing, passes 69 GB, and then runs out of it, go figure.

I have 16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD on system disk, 1 TB on a thunderbolt RAID bay that I use for video edits, 1 GB graphic card on Core i7 iMac late 2011, all up to date and I don't remember these issues occurring before sierra (I updated to FCPX 10.3 hoping it's not a system issue, but an app one).
(done everything google taught me: restarted the app, trashed preferences, reset PRAM, to no avail.)
actually, nothing new to say, just complaining :-), apart from this, no problem.

Last edit: by lightgale. Reason: typos

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 06:58 #82816

• Navigator
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I've experienced 10.3 automatically shut down a couple of times. It ONLY happens when I use third party plugins and AFTER I adjust the settings of these plugins. I'll guess I have to wait for some third party upgrades.

Last edit: by Navigator.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 07:03 #82817

• Sefanzed
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Had no issues with 10.2 other than what others have reported in the past (laggy behavior after hours of use, etc.). The system runs perfectly in all other respects. Sierra actually has improved 4k monitor performance with older apps, so I'm of the opinion that fcpx is the culprit, not my hardware, nor admin account.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 07:08 #82818

• Tom Wolsky
Any plugins, drivers, any third party hardware and software? No app on its own should lock the entire system. System sandboxes should always prevent this. Your system behavior is not seen by the great majority of systems. To my best recollection you are only the second user I've seen reporting a system lockup.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 07:17 #82819

• Sefanzed
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
In my case, no system lockups, just spontaneous and instantaneous crashes. All of my 3rd party apps have been updated. Since I'm editing in 4k red raw and using keys and masks I can understand that it might be putting more strain than usual on the system. However, there seems to be no repeatable behavior that I could avoid; I've had the app fold down on me when I was executing a simple edge edit, or copying/pasting a clip, or scrubbing in the browser. Very perplexing...

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 07:38 #82820

• Tom Wolsky
I think I was responding to screendor earlier.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 12:25 #82834

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well, yes, lots of third party apps and plug ins. Color Finale Pro, Neat Video, CoreMelt Slice X, FCPeffects, Crumple Pop audio stuff, Izotope audio stuff--you know, the usual for a working professional.

And yes, the system lockup is new with 10.3.

I might add that the project I am working on are all updated existing projects, not new ones created with 10.3. Wonder if that is the issue?

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 14:25 #82840

• Tom Wolsky
You shouldn't be in 10.3, certainly not in mid-project on any existing libraries. I don't think all of this plugins or many others have been updated yet. Finale is supposed to be ready. I know Core Melt is. I don't know about the others.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 14:59 #82844

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well, I frequently have clients come back after a project is delivered and want changes, recuts, etc. That's the case here. Not mid-project but post-project, I guess. And I checked on this and other forums about Neat video, Core Melt, Color Finale--etc, although admittedly not every single plug in I own.

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 15:01 #82845

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 892
Anyone having performance issues with 10.3 on Sierra: please follow Tom's advice. Create a new admin account and check if you still have these issues using the new account.

There aren't many reports about 10.3 performance problems on Sierra, so you should test your setup to see why it happens to you and not to the other users. Testing your setup with a fresh account can give valuable information about what might be causing your issues, and with that information we can help you narrow down the cause of them.

- Ronny

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 17:00 #82848

• chrisb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I will say that 10.3 has mastered the art of timeline sluggishness on longer timelines *sigh*

Drag-lag is now my biggest problem, and is a *major* workflow issue. For an NLE I cannot believe how bad it is.
Even Resolve on the same machine has a responsive timeline.

See original thread with video examples and comparison of the same timeline on 10.3, Resolve and Premiere. 10.3 is like dragging a bowling ball through quick sand.

www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/26225-drag-lag-in-10-3

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 17:03 #82849

• Tom Wolsky
What's a longer timeline? What's the media? What's the drive system?

10.3 issues 16 Nov 2016 17:17 #82850

• chrisb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
That would be apparent from the thread ;)

What I've found out is that even if i make the media offline, the "problem" is till there.
So that kinda rules out any media issues. In any case I am running 1080p prores media of a Sandisk Extreme 900 over USB3 (R/W about 300 MB/s)

Setup:
Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2,5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Timeline stats:
Length: 26min
Resolution: 1080p
Number of video clips on timeline (from timeline index): 488
Number of audio clips on timeline (from timeline index): 230

Last edit: by chrisb. Reason: Spelling