fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: blurry pixelated text in NTSC DV format

blurry pixelated text in NTSC DV format 22 Nov 2016 23:01 #83127

• sibeal.hill
  • sibeal.hill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone. I have tried to do some googling on this topic and I can see it's a difficult topic, but I'm making some home videos which I transferred from old VHS tapes in NTSC format. So the video quality is not the best anyway. But when I add titles or lower thirds from FCPx the text is also blurry and pixelated. Both in the viewer and when I publish it.

I have read that it could be to do with the X and Y position of the text, but I can't seem to find this function on the title editor.

Then I have also read that people suggest different codecs for example someone wrote "Secondly try copy>paste the final sequence in either an uncompressed or ProRes final sequence and then render. The text will look a lot sharper that way." But I have no idea where to start looking when it comes to codecs and that kind of stuff. I am still reasonably a beginner in FCPx.

My goal is to make video that can be shared on youtube. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

blurry pixelated text in NTSC DV format 23 Nov 2016 03:07 #83136

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
Are you exporting to a ProRes 422 "Master File"?

blurry pixelated text in NTSC DV format 23 Nov 2016 04:27 #83140

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 664

sibeal.hill wrote: … from old VHS tapes in NTSC format. So the video quality is not the best anyway. But when I add titles or lower thirds from FCPx the text is also blurry and pixelated. Both in the viewer and when I publish it.…

What are your Project settings?
And at what size/res do you preview?

VHS has a real-life resolution of ~300 x ~200 pixel (VHS=analogue, has no pixel at all).
That is a fraction of the screen-real estate for instance a 5k iMac offers. When you watch 'full screen' you see each 'pixel' size of a matchbox :woohoo:

So, probably, you run into a 'watch only in native res'-issue ... size your viewing window to 480x360 (= a 1/12th of usual fullHD!) and judge quality again ..........

• Page: