fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ?

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 27 Nov 2016 09:34 #83361

• Living Smart TV
  • Living Smart TV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • TV-vært, blogger, fotograf, forfatter - tjek www.livingsmarttv.dk Sprællemand :)
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

We film on RED in RedRaw / R3D and would like to stay in that filetype as long as possible (preferably all the way through the project).

On the other hand, we'd like to be able to do a quick (!) REC709'ish colorcorrection before editing.

The most basic step seems to be the "magic color wand" in FCPx, but I don't like the results. More often than not, we don't get consistent output - 10 almost similar clips and the "wand" suddenly makes the white balance on one clip far from the other.

We can pull the files into Davinci and use the colorchart to automatically batch-adjust the files - but then we're leaving the R3D files because it will only export as other formats like prores.

We could also use Redcine-X Pro software (then being able to stay in R3D format) but it doesn't have the automatic colorchart (nor any automatic colorbalancing) so it would be manual, taking more time for us.

A third idea would be to use color finale, but as I understand it, the colorchart "trick" needs to the files to be prores and will not work with R3D (nothing shows up when googling it, anyway).

What would you guys do ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Living Smart TV.

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 28 Nov 2016 16:38 #83397

• Threefold Films
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Well I'd start by investigating the "Settings" part of the inspector once footage has been imported.

And then tweak colour using the "Modify RED RAW settings"

This works amazingly well!
Attachments:

Last edit: by Threefold Films.

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 28 Nov 2016 17:03 #83398

• Living Smart TV
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • TV-vært, blogger, fotograf, forfatter - tjek www.livingsmarttv.dk Sprællemand :)
That works very, yes - manually :)

I'm looking for an easier way to get a fast, basic, neutral look to our footage - like when you do the color-card trick and Davinci adjusts all colors with one click of a mouse !

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 28 Nov 2016 17:09 #83399

• Threefold Films
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Aah Apologies,

I must have missed that in the OP. I thought you wanted to just get the footage to a REC709 ish image.

If it were me, I don't know of anything which will match the color checker workflow in Resolve as well as resolve does it, so I personally would leave that til the end still.

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 28 Nov 2016 20:08 #83408

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Color Finale has this function. Will it work with REDCODE RAW footage?

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 29 Nov 2016 05:33 #83415

• Living Smart TV
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: Color Finale has this function. Will it work with REDCODE RAW footage?

Well, in my original post, I wrote:

A third idea would be to use color finale, but as I understand it, the colorchart "trick" needs to the files to be prores and will not work with R3D (nothing shows up when googling it, anyway).

:)

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 29 Nov 2016 15:41 #83429

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 489
Need to email Mr Riddle directly, then.

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 30 Nov 2016 05:47 #83448

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 660

Living Smart TV wrote: … like to be able to do a quick (!) REC709'ish colorcorrection before editing.…

sorry for my complete tech ignorance - but don't you describe exactly what LUTs are made for?

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 30 Nov 2016 06:42 #83449

• Living Smart TV
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

Living Smart TV wrote: … like to be able to do a quick (!) REC709'ish colorcorrection before editing.…

sorry for my complete tech ignorance - but don't you describe exactly what LUTs are made for?

As I understand it, LUTs are fixed, like Instagram filters :)

If we record 5 different locations, the white balance would surely be different. Applying a LUT would just make all these white balances look different than the recording but no equal, like a color-chart-based balancing would :)

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 30 Nov 2016 07:39 #83454

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 660

Living Smart TV wrote: … white balance would surely be different. Applying a LUT would just make all these white balances look different than the recording but no equal, like a color-chart-based balancing would :)

… then, I misunderstood your task, sorry, thought you're looking to 'level' flat shots to rec709, or something

… you're looking to balance a bundle of clips one-click - no clue. <creeping back under my stone>

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 30 Nov 2016 07:53 #83455

• Gabba84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I assume that your editing system can handle redraw inside fcpx without lagging and stuttering... But... what if you do the first color balance inside Resolve, then you export full-size prores proxy with "baked-in" correction, then you edit those prores in fcpx, then you send xml to resolve for the "real" grading session relinking the prores to the origin redraw (and avoiding messing with the scale of the clip since you were editing full size prores copies)? This seems to me a good workflow

Handling color of REDraw R3D files in FCPx ? 30 Nov 2016 09:30 #83461

• Living Smart TV
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gabba84 wrote: I assume that your editing system can handle redraw inside fcpx without lagging and stuttering... But... what if you do the first color balance inside Resolve, then you export full-size prores proxy with "baked-in" correction, then you edit those prores in fcpx, then you send xml to resolve for the "real" grading session relinking the prores to the origin redraw (and avoiding messing with the scale of the clip since you were editing full size prores copies)? This seems to me a good workflow

Sure, but it will take MUCH too long. It would take 6-8 extra on each project just to do this.

Maybe a great workflow for films with bigger budgets, but for corporate videos with a total of 15-25 hours in budget, not so much :)

• Page: