fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app?

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 27 Dec 2016 09:55 #84307

• VJIse
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've just upgraded to Sierra. MPEG Streamclip was working before the upgrade. After upgrading it still runs and will happily work with all it's usual file types except anything that needs the MPEG2 component. But, like TJ7 I use it to cut little pieces out of VOBS or whole DVDs. So I dug around a little and found a fairly simple way to get it working. Apple have removed the QuickTime folder from the ~/Library/ folder. Which is where streamclip looks for the MPEG2.component. So to get streamclip to work with MPEG2 files, try the following.

Get a copy of the MPEG2.component - I already had it in /System/Library/QuickTime - So I just copied it

In finder use the Go to Folder option from the Go Menu and enter ~/Library/

In this folder make a new folder, Name it QuickTime

Put the Mpeg2.component inside the folder.

Try Streamclip

I loaded a few VOBs and exported short clips from them. Their are a couple of issues. The playhead doesn’t stay under the mouse pointer when you drag. You sometimes get visual glitches when dragging to find the point you want. This isn’t seen in the output.

I can’t say if this will work for all MPEG2 files you try. I tried a few and it worked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 27 Dec 2016 12:54 #84314

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 505

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 27 Dec 2016 21:44 #84328

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
Finally! The first version of Handbrake! I'm sure they could have called it 0.9.6 and nobody would have noticed. I wonder what qualifies this to be non-beta?

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 28 Dec 2016 02:40 #84335

• tj7
  • tj7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Doesn't work.

Mpeg Streamclip says:

"Your MPEG-2 Playback Component needs to be updated."

The video screen is blank when I choose "continue".

:(

VJIse wrote: I've just upgraded to Sierra. MPEG Streamclip was working before the upgrade. After upgrading it still runs and will happily work with all it's usual file types except anything that needs the MPEG2 component. But, like TJ7 I use it to cut little pieces out of VOBS or whole DVDs. So I dug around a little and found a fairly simple way to get it working. Apple have removed the QuickTime folder from the ~/Library/ folder. Which is where streamclip looks for the MPEG2.component. So to get streamclip to work with MPEG2 files, try the following.

Get a copy of the MPEG2.component - I already had it in /System/Library/QuickTime - So I just copied it

In finder use the Go to Folder option from the Go Menu and enter ~/Library/

In this folder make a new folder, Name it QuickTime

Put the Mpeg2.component inside the folder.

Try Streamclip

I loaded a few VOBs and exported short clips from them. Their are a couple of issues. The playhead doesn’t stay under the mouse pointer when you drag. You sometimes get visual glitches when dragging to find the point you want. This isn’t seen in the output.

I can’t say if this will work for all MPEG2 files you try. I tried a few and it worked.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 28 Dec 2016 02:41 #84336

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: And then there's this news today;
www.macrumors.com/2016/12/27/video-conve...-0-released-for-mac/

Great, but again, you can't go into handbrake and specify a 4 second clip from a 20 minute VOB file.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 28 Dec 2016 02:53 #84338

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

bogiesan wrote: This free giveaway ishappening at a Mac news site in the States:

9to5mac.com/2016/12/20/limited-time-give...and-macx-mediatrans/

We’d like to thank Digiarty, makers of MacX DVD Ripper Pro, for sponsoring 9to5Mac today. They’re offering a ‘Christmas Giveaway‘ of MacX DVD Ripper Pro starting now and running through January 5, 2017. There are just 1,000 copies available per day, so giddy-up!

Well, it works. Sort of.
HORRIBLE interface.
Fu^&ing QUITS when you use the "open with" facility of mac os X.
The ONLY way to open VOB files is to navigate to the folder and you HAVE to select the ENTIRE VIDEO_TS folder.
You can't just open one VOB file.
Sigh. It works, but what a tedious process to go through.

Last edit: by tj7.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 28 Dec 2016 08:58 #84341

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

tj7 wrote: Well, it works. Sort of.
HORRIBLE interface.
(...)
Sigh. It works, but what a tedious process to go through.

I agree. Wouldn't pay even 20 bucks for the full version. I liked MSC the most. Would pay 50 € for an updated version (used it regularly to convert ProRes masters to .mp4 - not ".mov"). By the number of visitors to this thread you can tell that we are not alone.

Last edit: by Axel.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 28 Dec 2016 10:46 #84345

• VJIse
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi tj7,

I've sent you a message.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 28 Dec 2016 13:42 #84348

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 505
Hey, 13 years of beta testing, it's so... (sigh)

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 04 May 2017 10:28 #87783

• whitemax
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Why not give a try at Handbrake for Mac, which supports to convert VOB to MP4 with H.265, H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 compression codec.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 04 May 2017 13:04 #87790

• spurratic
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I use Compressor for 95% of everything I do. All conversions.
Even when I am simply changing a .wav to an .mp3 I use it cause its fast, easy, and works like a charm.

It is a bit of a pain sometimes finding the options but once I set my custom settings, like .avi, .wmv, .mp4, and everything in between......its as simple as making a droplet of adding to the share menu.

I don't personally see how using a third party app could be easier than that. Thats why I stopped using mpeg stream clip well before it stopped working.

I also use Edit Ready which is a pretty cool app for previewing Camera Archives and batch converting.

And Handbrake is a good one to keep around, especially when you need to convert a VOB.

So Compressor, Edit Ready, and Handbrake.......haven't come across anything yet that these 3 can't do.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 04 May 2017 14:30 #87795

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Don't write off MPEGStreamclip just yet.
I simply put the QuicktimeMPEG2 component in ~/Library/Quicktime and was able to open a vob file, and export a snippet to Quicktime. It seems to work fine, albeit with a few visual glitches.

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 07 May 2017 15:25 #87861

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
VOB files can be opened in QT Player X in Sierra because the MPEG2 component is part of the OS.

From here you can easily convert the VOB files to an edit-friendly MOV format.

- Ronny
Attachments:

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 07 May 2017 18:31 #87863

• GottaRUN
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • All about Will:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dq3DFpZceAhttp://GottaRunWithWill.blip.tvhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwFB_3RL3Hci'm a planking member of Coast Guard Flotilla 5-11 community board 8m member. founding member of ESNA-CERT and curr
  • Thank you received: 0
Is that 'CommandPost' the Chris Hocking app that displaying that info? I tried opening a VTS_01_1.VOB and only plays 20 seconds and exports 20 seconds. Maybe Chapter 1, as it just the opening scene. It does nothing if I tried opening VIDEO_TS.VOB I'm using QT Player Version 10.4 (894.12) under Sierra. What am I missing? Thanks for the assist!

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 07 May 2017 18:47 #87864

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Yep that's Command Post, I'm testing the latest Beta 6 version. Looks very promising.

Depending on the DVD menu structure, VIDEO_TS.VOB is always empty and VTS._01_1.VOB could be a chapter menu. Try going further down the structure and you should be able to find the video files.

- Ronny

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 07 May 2017 20:00 #87865

• GottaRUN
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • All about Will:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dq3DFpZceAhttp://GottaRunWithWill.blip.tvhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwFB_3RL3Hci'm a planking member of Coast Guard Flotilla 5-11 community board 8m member. founding member of ESNA-CERT and curr
Hmm, it's not working for me. The VS structure was extracted from a DVD .. the video was recorded on it from a TV station years ago. Handbrake 1.07 did work and it offers a bunch of options as a mp4 file. I also tried VLC and was humming along until I had to force quit it as it stopped working. Thanks for the quick responses!

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 12 Jul 2017 13:57 #89334

• BeeblePete
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks to D. Hoffman in the Apple support communities, I've got MPEG Streamclip back into action in a newer OS (El Capitan).

Here's a guide which may help others: MPEG Streamclip DVD Fix

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 17 Jul 2017 02:23 #89434

• sodabiscuit12345
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
TJ7 have you, or anyone else found an alternative or how to use Mpegstreamclip to cut out small snippets of video from a larger one?
It was so easy with Mpegstreamclip.

"I" then "O", then command T, and save. So easy...

tj7 wrote: Hi.

Sadly, Mpeg Streamclip no longer works under Sierra. Jumping through the OS hoops to manually install the MPEG2 component fails. Such a shame as this was a brilliantly simple and useful app for trimming out the bits and pieces one needed for their project without having to import / convert massive files.

FCPX amazingly still is incredibly clunky when it comes to quick trim 'n' convert operations for VOB files etc

All I need to do is to be able to grab this bit and that bit from various VOB's, large mp4 files etc for use in FCPX projects. iskysoft's video converter is horrible and has a very poor interface.

Isn't there a better / cheaper alternative out there?

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 03 Jun 2020 11:09 #107633

• CG1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Have just stumbled on this thread. I can report that MPEG Streamclip is working perfectly on my 2019 Mojave iMac. Had to figure out 3 problems.
1) if retina display, need to right click/get info on the application icon and select "open in low resolution"
2) The error message given when you try to open the app refers is misleading. It refers to the "Apple Quicktime MPEG2 playback component" not being installed and gives a (broken) link to get it. There is a different component which is also needed which is the "QuicktimeMPEG2.component". These BOTH need to be installed in the correct place
3) The correct place for these to be installed is MacintoshHD > Library > Quicktime (not as a previous poster suggested MacintoshHD > user > Library > Quicktime, nor MacintoshHD > System > Library > Quicktime). There is another component which also lives in this folder which is "AppleIntermediateCodec.component".
This has got MPEG Streamclip working perfectly for me under 10.14.6 (though of course as it's a 32-bit application, Catalina will definitely be the end of the road for it).
I attach screenshots of the contents of the two folders on my system in case this helps
Attachments:

Sierra: Can no longer use Mpeg Streamclip. Best / Simplest VOB to mp4 trimming conversion app? 04 Jun 2020 04:16 #107654

• spurratic
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Maybe I’m missing something but I just use compressor and it seems to handle anything I throw at it easily and quickly.

In the extremely rare occasion that I have to deal with a specific codec that compressor doesn’t like I think I have just used handbrake.

• Page: