fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS?

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 16:12 #85221

• dchai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Why not run a virtual machine with an older version of MACOS? I use VMWARE FUSION and have older versions of osx for old software or printers that don't have updated drivers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 16:28 #85224

• nirna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
MPEGStreamclip works perfectly under Sierra, I use it on a regular basis, no issues of any kind.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 18:52 #85231

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Thanks, nirna, I'll give it another try.

Used to just give me the "Quicktime MPEG playback component required" error and would not let me proceed. Had to force quit.

Last edit: by bogiesan.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 21:18 #85234

• tj7
  • tj7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

nirna wrote: MPEGStreamclip works perfectly under Sierra, I use it on a regular basis, no issues of any kind.

How?

I too use Sierra. I know I am not the only one who has "lost" MPEG Streamclip.

I have installed, reinstalled and re-reinstalled the MPEG 2 component and STILL it doesn't work under sierra.

Can you please post *your* method for overcoming the MPEG 2 component error and the basic unuseability of the app?

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 21:19 #85235

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Pielle wrote: I can confirm that the latest version of HandBrake works with VOB files in osx Sierra

Not if said VOB files have timecode errors.
Handbrake, as I described, literally just crashes when I try. Latest version.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 21:20 #85236

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

tj7 wrote: … The world would be a much better place if MPEG Streamclip was still useable :(

Mpeg Streamclip is fully usable - …

…  EXCEPT that actual OS' don't support the antique mpeg2-playback-plugin… Which makes sense, 'cause for +8 years no Mac comes with a DVD-drive…

Ok, so again, *how* have you got it working, please?

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 21:24 #85237

• degeneric
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You need to manually put the QuickTimeMPEG2.component into Macintosh HD--->Library--->QuickTime for quickTime 7 or MPEGStreamclip to open mpeg2.
For me it doesn't play smoothly in QT7 and MPEGStreamclip is having display issue but it does work.

Attachments:

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 26 Jan 2017 23:56 #85239

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
MPEG Streamclip works in Sierra but it doesn't FULLY work. You can make MP4s and convert to Prores and do lots of stuff like that, but it won't deal with DVD stuff.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 00:11 #85240

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
We have two posts that say Streamclip works. We have two that say that it does not solve the OP's problems with DVDs.

Maybe we're not bothering to read the OP. Maybe our information is incorrect. Perhaps we don't really know what we're talking about. Or some of us actually CAN use MPEGSC on Sierra.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 00:58 #85241

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Indeed.

Ok, I'm going to presume that the users who claim MPEG Streamclip works under Sierra are NOT using it for trimming or fixing timecode errors in VOB files. If I'm wrong, then I'm all ears for how they got it working for this purpose.

Let's get back to my original question:

*****How do I fix timecode breaks*******?

Is there seriously NO other way of doing it than somehow installing a virtual previous OS to run MPEG Streamclip?

Seriously? Nothing?

Handbrake does NOT like VOB files with timecode errors.
FCPX can't read VOB files.
MPEG Streamclip evidently, at least in MY experience, *no longer will handle VOB files under Sierra*.

I just can't believe that it's impossible.

bogiesan wrote: We have two posts that say Streamclip works. We have two that say that it does not solve the OP's problems with DVDs.

Maybe we're not bothering to read the OP. Maybe our information is incorrect. Perhaps we don't really know what we're talking about. Or some of us actually CAN use MPEGSC on Sierra.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 01:02 #85242

• spurratic
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Simply trying to convert VOB to an edit friendly format and sync with time coded audio?

Just curious as to what the end goal is here.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 02:01 #85244

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

spurratic wrote: What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Simply trying to convert VOB to an edit friendly format and sync with time coded audio?

Just curious as to what the end goal is here.

It's all in the title -
I need to fix timecode breaks. That is all.
When there are timecode issues, VOB files not only won't be read properly by applications such as VLC, but the VOB files make most editing apps shit themselves and crash, as explained in my OP....

I am unable to do anything with my VOB files until the breaks are fixed.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 05:54 #85250

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 665

tj7 wrote: …Ok, so again, *how* have you got it working, please?

dl, install, double-click, works ;)

tried right now: in/out/trim = fully functional, 'fixing TC breaks' avail, but can not check, no 'broken' files at hand.

No, this topic runs cycles :
you need MpegStreamclips ability to handle VOBs (=muxed a+v-files, from videoDVDs) - therefore (and only therefore) Steamclip demands ye ol' mp2-playback-component…

Stefano gave advice on his squared5 website how to install that component on older OS', never tried on Sierra (no need here), have you tried those workarounds?
For the rare moments I need to import from disks, I use Handbrake - but never cared for TCbreaks …

Sorry for not being of better help …

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 09:10 #85253

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, but something is missing here.
There must be *something* different happening in your system - and in those few who can magically get MS working flawlessly under Sierra without doing *anything* in addition to the install of MS. MPEG2component literally does not natively exist under Sierra, and MS needs it. Additionally, aside from this, MS does NOT natively play nicely with Sierra. If it did, pages and threads such as this would not exist:

onebestsoft.com/mpeg-streamclip-alternative-mac/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7707704?start=0&tstart=0

etc

I have, just now, uninstalled and reinstalled the latest (2012) version of MS and used their included installer app for MPEG2. Confoundingly they do not include the MPEG2 disk image, but I managed to find it on a certain torrenting site and have got MS going. It actually is now not asking for MPEG2 component installation and is able to fix timecode breaks. Note that I had already manually installed MPEG2 but chose to reinstall using the MS installer app for this purpose.

However, it is glitchy and looks like this:

(See screenshot - note the weirdness in the time line bar at the bottom and the black box at left).
I am running Sierra just like you.

In any case, I don't really care about the visual glitch - it's awkward and makes the app unwieldly, but I have literally just fixed all of my timecode breaks and can happily snip out whatever I want from these VOB files.

:cheer:

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

tj7 wrote: …Ok, so again, *how* have you got it working, please?

dl, install, double-click, works ;)

tried right now: in/out/trim = fully functional, 'fixing TC breaks' avail, but can not check, no 'broken' files at hand.

No, this topic runs cycles :
you need MpegStreamclips ability to handle VOBs (=muxed a+v-files, from videoDVDs) - therefore (and only therefore) Steamclip demands ye ol' mp2-playback-component…

Stefano gave advice on his squared5 website how to install that component on older OS', never tried on Sierra (no need here), have you tried those workarounds?
For the rare moments I need to import from disks, I use Handbrake - but never cared for TCbreaks …

Sorry for not being of better help …
Attachments:

Last edit: by tj7.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 09:32 #85254

• Karsten Schlüter

tj7 wrote: Thanks, but something is missing here.
There must be *something* different happening in your system - and in those few who can magically get MS working flawlessly under Sierra without doing *anything* in addition to the install of MS. …

sorry, can not tell more - when FCPX10_3 came out, I spend my trusty MacMini a new internal drive, a SSD.
Knowing there're tons of leftovers on my old drive, I decided NOT to use any Migration Services, but to install 'from the ground' - all apps I use straight from the manufacturers sites(or AppStore).

So, my system is 'very clean' …  :lol:
… and that's why I'm shy to 'test' install obsolete mp2-components and like that.... (somewhere existing on some older backup of my syzttem)

No, it just works.
Here.
Except the VOB-support, but I don't need hat.

<cough> the mp2-playback.component is a $$ software… <cough> you either had purchased it or you shouldn't mention where you 'found' it …  :evil:

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 09:45 #85256

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote:
<cough> the mp2-playback.component is a $$ software… <cough> you either had purchased it or you shouldn't mention where you 'found' it …  :evil:

Heh heh!

Well, if Apple still *sold* the freaking thing, I would have happily paid for it.
They don't, which is just one tiny example of how infuriatingly and needlessly difficult that company can be.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 10:31 #85261

• Karsten Schlüter

tj7 wrote: …Well, if Apple still *sold* the freaking thing, I would have happily paid for it.
They don't, which is just one tiny example of how infuriatingly and needlessly difficult that company can be.

We should stop that part of the dialogue - just because something isn't legal on sale, does not imply, it's 'free'…
Esp. on a board populated by 'creators' I expect a higher respect upon intellectual property.

And the underlying Quicktime engine was announced obsolete about a decade ago - so, any QT-components make no sense In 2017. Just because YOU need that, doesn' t mean Apple HAS to offer it.

Sidenote:
if you need legacy tools that urgently , why not keeping them? I'm aware of 'print people' bewaring an old 'cheese-grinder' and MacOs10.1. just to keep old, but needed and never updated scanner software running.

… getting grumpy, I notice…  Guess, I can not contribute any more on the OT…

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 13:01 #85264

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I'm far too logical and practical to limit my work for the sake of what's morally "right" in this instance. The fact that nobody can identify any other way of fixing timecode breaks in VOB files is a clear indicator that I actually have no other option but to use MPEG Streamclip. I don't consider it fair, reasonable or logical for me to have to go to the arduous lengths of installing virtual OS software just because Apple no longer offer a certain component for sale anymore - especially when it can be sourced easily and with arguably *no* harm done to Apple. I have not cost them a cent, in fact I am more likely to purchase plugins for FCPX given it has become more useful now that I can convert these VOB files.

It is also, arguably, not sensible or reasonable for me to simply go back to an older OS for the sake of ONE application, especially when doing so would render so much other work impossible as a result due to incompatibility issues.

"Sourcing" the component we have been discussing, in context of it actually not being available for purchase, may technically contravene intellectual property principals, but it does not contradict the *spirit* of that principal in terms of what it is intended to protect.

Whilst I very much appreciate the help I have received in this thread, I will admit I find it tedious that someone has thrown in the old "wooooooh, no stealing! That's ILLEGAL!" thing. I mean, come on. Let's stick with common sense and logic here. We are talking about a video component that is necessary for a particular purpose and ****which is not legitimately available for purchase anymore*****. If Apple gave a rat's whisker about people using this component for free, they would still be selling it. It is patently illogical to jump through 37 hoops of fire for the sake of one component which you literally can't buy anymore but is fairly easily found online in various threads. It can be downloaded via a particular youtube comments thread, for goodness sake.

Sigh. Who am I kidding. I'll call the government and turn myself in tomorrow. I don't know how I will live with this heavy, rank stain on my conscience.

:whistle:

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 13:07 #85265

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
PS - Let's not forget that this component *used* to come with the OS. Back under 10 - point - something, I think. Somewhere along the way, it was overwritten / deleted by the OS as it was considered redundant.

So technically, I have actually stolen nothing. I simply reacquired what I used to own. If I could really have been bothered, I could probably have dug through some very old backups and found it there.

Googling was much easier.

....not grumpy, but I'm certainly a smart arse!

B)

Last edit: by tj7.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 13:33 #85266

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
Has anyone tried FFMPEGX lately for this type of work?

Last edit: by Ben Balser.
  • Page: