fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Saving Drive Space by Deleting Rendered Files ?

Saving Drive Space by Deleting Rendered Files ? 01 Nov 2017 19:16 #91435

• meegwell
  • meegwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
"Select the Library in the Browser, File menu, select "Delete All Generated Library Files" and delete ALL render files. You could end up saving valuable drive space."

Will I save drive space doing this on all my "completed" projects? Any downside?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saving Drive Space by Deleting Rendered Files ? 01 Nov 2017 23:08 #91442

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Suggest doing this from the free add-on Final Cut Library Manager.

Downside: if you revisit a project you will have to re-rended/generate the deleted contents.

Saving Drive Space by Deleting Rendered Files ? 01 Nov 2017 23:15 #91443

• ianstubbs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
If you have render files for completed projects then you will save space by deleting them. The only downside in doing so is that you may have to re-render if you go back to the project and experience playback difficulties.

When archiving you can also delete optimised and proxy media if you have any. This might give large savings. The downside to this is that you may need to get FCP to recreate them if you return to the project later. Make sure that you take care to protect original media. Never delete that.

Ian.

Saving Drive Space by Deleting Rendered Files ? 02 Nov 2017 13:32 #91462

• meegwell
  • meegwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ianstubbs wrote: If you have render files for completed projects then you will save space by deleting them. The only downside in doing so is that you may have to re-render if you go back to the project and experience playback difficulties.

When archiving you can also delete optimized and proxy media if you have any. This might give large savings. The downside to this is that you may need to get FCP to recreate them if you return to the project later. Make sure that you take care to protect original media. Never delete that.

Ian.

Since you brought it up - to be sure - I move all media to the Library. If I am properly protecting that library file, then I am properly protecting all the original media, correct?

Saving Drive Space by Deleting Rendered Files ? 02 Nov 2017 15:58 #91466

• ianstubbs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Yes, consolidating the files into the library will ensure that they are archived with it. You might also want to consolidate Motion Templates too.

Ian.

• Page: