fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY

Final Cut quits unexpectedly when opening external library 11 Mar 2018 13:04 #94572

• HeatherRobynn
  • HeatherRobynn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have a LaCie Hard drive and it got disconnected and I wasn't aware and then I subsequently shut down FCPX.

This often happens and I never have a problem, however, when I went to reopen Final Cut everything is ok, it opens my local library automatically so i selected external and the window pops up saying it's loading my events and just when you think it's going to show up FCP quits unexpectedly.

I have important projects that I've worked hard on in there and can't access them and I don't know what the problem is,

It's really frustrating and I have deleted FCP and reinstalled but this did not work.

I'd appreciate any help. I'm running FCPX 10.4 on OS HIgh SIerra version 10.13.12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter. Reason: no all-caps, The grumpy Janitor

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 11 Mar 2018 14:28 #94573

• JarrodMFay
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Are your backups located on that same drive or on your computer's hard drive? This is when I would start trying to open older versions. Also, I know you've reinstalled FCPX but certainly try to open the project while holding down command & option keys to delete preferences as well. I know this is frustrating. Good luck.

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 11 Mar 2018 16:12 #94576

• HeatherRobynn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks for the reply Jarrod, the backups are located on my computer and I forgot to mention I have already tried to open previous backups which all failed as well as deleting render files and the flexolibrary.

Are you suggesting holding down the command and option keys when opening the library? I don't have access to the projects because i can't access the library!

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 11 Mar 2018 16:52 #94578

• JarrodMFay
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Yes. Sorry for the old school nomenclature. Hold down command & option keys when opening the library. It should ask if you want to delete preferences and hit yes. Sorry the backups didn't work. That suggests it may be something more insidious at play here. I've never experienced this exact issue. Maybe someone else can chime in with some other options?

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 11 Mar 2018 18:38 #94579

• HeatherRobynn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks for the clarification, I figured that's what you meant but unfortunately that didn't work! Thank you so much for all your help I really appreciate it.

looks like it's going to be a case of starting from scratch and many many long nights of work.

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 11 Mar 2018 18:50 #94580

• HeatherRobynn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
UPDATE:

Absolutely delighted, I managed to get most of the library back, I just lost my most recent project.

I figured it was the problem within the library so after combing the internet for a fix I discovered I just had to delete the whole project. Delighted I got the rest of my projects back though!

Final Cut quits unexpectedly when opening external library 12 Mar 2018 04:20 #94584

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
I'm guessing that trashing preferences did not work because once you did and FCPX launched, you attempted to open the same culprit project. You likely would have been able to open your other projects after having done that if you tried those first. Secondly, consider Digital Rebellions Pro Maintenance tools. There is a project repair utility that works very well for fixing corrupt projects. This probably would have allowed you to open and continue work on the project you ended up deleting. I believe they still offer a 10 day fully functional trial, but the whole package is a good investment for those situations. This doesn't help now because you already solved your issue, but something to think about for future problems.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Final Cut quits unexpectedly when opening external library 12 Mar 2018 06:31 #94588

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 530
Also get Disk Warrior (once it is HS compatible... soon) and repair all your drives once a month.

Final Cut quits unexpectedly when opening external library 12 Mar 2018 13:05 #94594

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369
While this was a single external drive, this situation also illustrates why a RAID drive is not adequate backup. It can get suddenly disconnected, or an app crash or hang or OS crash or hang can cause an uncontrolled shutdown. The HFS filesystem layer is fully transactional but to my knowledge the SQLite database used by FCPX is not. SQLite has some transactional features but is not fully "atomic" in all cases like Oracle or SQL Server are. Therefore an uncontrolled shutdown in the midst of a transaction might cause logical corruption.

The SQLite database itself (like Oracle, SQL Server or even the HFS filesytem) has two conceptual layers: the application data and the system structures which manage this. With HFS+ you can run a check via First Aid or Disk Warrior but this only checks the system data structures, not the user data. Likewise you can open an FCPX library using SQLite and run PRAGMA integrity_check but it doesn't check for referential integrity or any other logical anomaly with the user data contained therein. Only the app itself (FCPX in this case) understands the meaning of the data stored by the database layer.

E.g, you can open an FCPX library using SQLite and randomly delete rows, change values, etc. which could cause FCPX to crash, yet PRAGMA integrity_check will still return OK. That's because it's checking the b-trees, linked lists -- IOW the scaffolding supporting the data -- not the data itself.

FCPX is no different from any other database -- there is no good solution unless the app layer itself does additional checks. I suspect this is what the Lightroom integrity check does.

The best solution is have multiple versions of backups in case an error creeps in, you later commit a bunch of work and only later become aware of the error.

Another useful step is using only Thunderbolt storage since it is less likely to spontaneously disconnect than USB, also run all computers and drives off a UPS.

As dgwvideo said you could try Digital Rebellion's project repair tool. Several of their other media repair tools are specific to Quicktime files, so they won't repair, for example, an XAVC-S file. But maybe the project repair would work.

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 10 Oct 2020 14:28 #110425

• Golizade
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello! Sorry for disturbing but can you please help me to solve the same problem as you had? I was searching in internet hours and hours and I anything doesn’t work for me. Your situation looks exactly like mine. Can you, please, explain what steps exactly you did to solve the problem? I have the very important project and deadline is very soon, I’m afraid to lose all the work I did:( Thank you so much

FINAL CUT QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN OPENING EXTERNAL LIBRARY 12 Oct 2020 09:37 #110438

• HeatherRobynn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey man, to be honest I can’t remember exactly what I did to fix the problem as this thread is over 3 years old. I suggest trying what everyone else suggested in the thread which I never got around to. As far as I remember I had to Delete the project and start fresh as the project was corrupted

• Page: