TOPIC: EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 12 Mar 2018 22:00 #94609

• robinsaini
  • robinsaini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
HEllo,

So I was seeing this video and loved the effect that used from 4:07 onwards till 4:20, its kind of a ripple & earthquake mixture..how can one get this effect in FCPX

Also the effect that come slaster at 6:02

RDs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by robinsaini.

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 13 Mar 2018 03:53 #94610

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

robinsaini wrote: … effect that used from 4:07 onwards till 4:20, …

psychedelic ! :blink:

What I see there, frame-by-frame, is a) a real dolly drive backwards, and b) some micro-edits, fade-in/out of zooms.
So, basically, no plugin needed, but you have to record that dolly-back-drive (very precisely, to mention that); then in post, double part of the clip to a Secondary, apply dissolves, and keyframe its scale.

… I put it on my list of weekend projects … nice inspiration for a plugin …

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 13 Mar 2018 11:54 #94615

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 506
Dolly move can be faked in post very easily; keyframe scale, export to new movie clip.

What about using the Trails filters?

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 13 Mar 2018 12:03 #94616

• Karsten Schlüter

FCPX.guru wrote: Dolly move can be faked in post very easily; keyframe scale, …

A scaled pic gives a (very) different impression than a real-life dolly… A dolly shows the actual 3D-ish depth of a scene, whereas a 100-130% scale gives just the impression, we come closer to a flat print of the set…

And in the example, it is a dolly, centered to the singer, which allows those 'dissolves' without too much wobble with the singer… excellent executed.-

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 13 Mar 2018 18:33 #94634

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Sorry, but I've faked these for years... successfully...

What you are referring to could be for much longer dolly shots, or for the stretch trick where the camera focus is pulled in sync with the camera dolly distance changing.

But those shots are short dollys, that can be/has been faked easily.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 14 Mar 2018 08:14 #94645

• Karsten Schlüter

FCPX.guru wrote: … I've faked these for years... successfully...….

And I told my lil' son, the Easter Bunny hid the sweets in the garden - proving what??

Scale ≠ Dolly
… and not only for the Vertigo Effect you're mentioning, in the OP's video easy to notice:

Due to parallax, the singer covers the window, the violin player covers the light, the bass player covers the window, and foremost the curtains dramatically show: this is real cam movement in 3D space, no simple scaling of a flat pic…

… ok, we can now start an academic linguistic discussion what 'fake' means - mimic, copy, replicate, 100%, 80%?… but in most cases, a scale is, esp. for a pro, very easy to differentiate from a dolly…

I love to zoom-in too, in Interviews, to set a 'focus/highlight'… before some neutral bg, that comes close to a dolly… but generally spoken? no - Scale ≠ Dolly
Attachments:

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 14 Mar 2018 11:42 #94647

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Yes, it can be done, and should be done, in-camera. But yes, I have in FACT faked that dolly effect, period. No mythology involved. But again, Karsten, you insist I'm wrong or lying or something, immediately. You're the moderator, not me, so delete, take over, bully, whatever you wish. It's your forum, you have a grudge against me for some unknown reason. I'll leave this thread alone and it can be all yours... again...

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 14 Mar 2018 17:07 #94653

• Karsten Schlüter

FCPX.guru wrote: // full quote //

Ben, really …? :huh:

#1 If you have a personal message for me - you know my private email. But you prefer to go public, so it may be:

#2 I’m a Mod, and you DO KNOW, Peter is owner of this site, so don’t tell such nonsense…

#3 You reason ‘scale fakes dolly’ with ‘success’ … whatever defines success in your world.- When your paying clients are happy with it, it proves you’re a good salesman. But doesn’t prove a wrong technical advice.

#4 you tell, one can fake a dolly by scaling the pic. No exception. No detail. Other may/do disagree. My job as Mod is to moderate both positions: except reframing a pic before a neutral background, a keyframed scaling gives a notable different result than a dolly. As seen in the OP's linked video…
Don’t insult the competence of the boards community.

Happy Easter!

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 19 Mar 2018 22:46 #94720

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
You attacked me in public, I simply defended myself. YOU could have emailed ME if you had a problem. Take your own advice. I never insulted anyone, but hey, make up stuff, it's your job.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

EARTHQUAKE or ripple effect in FCPX Like this 19 Mar 2018 23:57 #94722

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hi Karsten & co,
Not sure why there's an argument here, but my take is that it's a plug-in effect, or it's manually done with some kind of blur-zoom effect. In any case it's purely post. Any dolly you're seeing is of course related to the fact that some of the shots are dolly shots, like that first one with the singer in the performance. There's clearly a camera movement there. But the specific effect itself doesn't need any dolly cause it's some kind of blur zoom that echoes the image.

And of course you can't really fake a dolly move in post, even a short one. Now, when it's a very slow and relatively short dolly, and there aren't a lot of depth cues in the shot, a lot of people might not be able to tell the difference between that and a post zoom. But I think you guys both know this and are arguing the semantics of what it means to "fake."

• Page: