fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Most efficient and lossless way to import TS files?

Most efficient and lossless way to import TS files? 03 Apr 2018 02:19 #94954

• tj7
  • tj7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have searched the forum for "TS", but this fails as the search includes words including these letters together - so apologies if this is already covered here.

I want to - as losslessly as possible - import sections of a TS file. It's a HD TV capture. I only want to use a tiny 2 min section. It's incredibly arduous given that FCPX can't read TS files.
mpegstreamclip cannot read the file (a known issue). I have had to run the whole thing through handbrake, converting a 3.7GB TS file into an 11GB mp4 (again, I want to minimise loss so used maximum settings).
You can't select sections in handbrake, only the whole dang file. So even more arduous. Now mpegstreamclip can read this massive mp4 file, but the 2 minutes I want to use is turning out to be a massive file when I tell mpegstreamclip to use max. settings. As I write this, it has taken 20 minutes to convert about 1/3 of this 2 minute selection I have made.

I need to minimise loss of video quality. How do others here manage TS files for use in FCPX when video quality is of paramount importance?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Most efficient and lossless way to import TS files? 03 Apr 2018 09:46 #94957

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 352
You can trim the file using either Quicktime Player or VLC. Quicktime seems to re-encoded it using H264, whereas TS files are MPEG-2. You'd have to examine the file for quality. See this page under "Edit": support.apple.com/en-us/HT201066

VLC seems to maintain the current codec, the output is a small TS file, which you could then rapidly convert with Handbrake. Unfortunately VLC requires you play the material at 1x speed, but for only 2 min that's probably OK.

1. Set VLC output folder: VLC>Preferences>Input/Codecs>Record directory or filename
2. Play video in VLC, skip to beginning of region to trim
3. OPT+CMD+R to start recording
4. OPT+CMD+R to stop recording
5. Trimmed TS file will be in above folder

Most efficient and lossless way to import TS files? 03 Apr 2018 20:43 #94964

• Roadswitcher
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
ff-Works ( ex iFFmpeg ) will be your best friend for that, using the rewrap of your ts file. It's a very fast operation, no transcoding involved, only the container and the file extension are changed.
But if you want, you can trim the file before rewrapping it.
Can't remember if Edit Ready ( from ClipWrap fame ) also accepts .ts files, but they take mts files in, possibly also m2ts files.

Most efficient and lossless way to import TS files? 03 Apr 2018 23:38 #94966

• tj7
  • tj7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Roadswitcher wrote: ff-Works ( ex iFFmpeg ) will be your best friend for that, using the rewrap of your ts file. It's a very fast operation, no transcoding involved, only the container and the file extension are changed.
But if you want, you can trim the file before rewrapping it.
Can't remember if Edit Ready ( from ClipWrap fame ) also accepts .ts files, but they take mts files in, possibly also m2ts files.

That looks perfect - and it's affordable! Thanks.

• Page: