• Page:

TOPIC: Proxy files and synchronized clips

Proxy files and synchronized clips 03 Apr 2018 13:24 #94958

• jon.levine
  • jon.levine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So my question is in regards to proxy files. When syncing video and audio clips, FCP creates a new 'synchronized' clip. When editing with proxy files, that synced clip is also a proxy file. The question is, is that synced clip linked back to the original full-resolution clip the same way a non-synced proxy file would be? When I'm ready to finalize the project, will I be able to export at full 4K using those synced clips? If you look at the file inspector in FCP when selecting a non-synced clip, it shows you the available media representations (Original, Optimized, Proxy). It does not show that at all for synced clips.

Do I need to create the sync clips using the original media, then turn those synced clips into proxy files? I already created synced clips with the proxy files for half my project, so I'm hoping I don't have to re-do that work. However, I also don't want to get to the end and realize that I can't export at full resolution. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy files and synchronized clips 04 Apr 2018 10:46 #94968

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
Are you using 10.4? It works correctly in this version whether you make the sync clips with proxies or original files. I don't know about earlier versions, as the proxy in export behavior changed.

Proxy files and synchronized clips 04 Apr 2018 12:51 #94970

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 352

jon.levine wrote: ...Do I need to create the sync clips using the original media, then turn those synced clips into proxy files? I already created synced clips with the proxy files for half my project, so I'm hoping I don't have to re-do that work. However, I also don't want to get to the end and realize that I can't export at full resolution...

When creating multicam or sync clips you don't need to worry about whether proxy files exist or whether the viewer is in proxy mode. You can create and edit them without any restriction. You can start with no proxy files, create a few, sync more clips, create more proxy files, etc.

When you export, the full resolution will be available if you switch the viewer to optimized/original media. 10.4 added a warning so you won't accidentally export with the viewer set to proxy mode.

Re sync clips, some editors prefer using multicam clips even if you only have one audio and one video source. It can give more options.

• Page: