fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1080p Footage Has Different Field Behaviour in FCPX10.3.4 vs 10.4 & 10.4.1 Projects

1080p Footage Has Different Field Behaviour in FCPX10.3.4 vs 10.4 & 10.4.1 Projects 30 Apr 2018 07:10 #95328

• EditGuru
  • EditGuru's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
G'day,

I had an error report from a broadcast engineer regarding an episode master delivered on MXF 1080i25 XDCAM HD 422 (50 Mbps) that some 25p content is actually presented across field 2 then field 1, so not correctly paired as f1/f2.

Through testing/trouble shooting I’m seeing incorrect behaviour in 10.4 (MacBook Pro Sierra) & 10.4.1 (iMac HighSierra) but correct behaviour in 10.3.4 (MacPro El Cap) - I’d love to hear if anyone else can replicate this with Progressive footage as it could be a fairly serious bug?!?

Using a 1920x1080 25i Project - I’ve dropped in an shot - MXF XDCAM HD422 1080p25 (50Mb/s) - then toggled between each field using Option > Arrow Left/Right… in the FCPX10.4 & 10.4.1 projects I can see that the progressive material is incorrectly paired. Visually this presents as movement within a frame between F1 and F2 then no change between F2 and F1 of the next frame and so on. It should show visually as movement in F1 of each new frame and then no change in F2 (F1/F2 Paired correctly).

Also, I’ve tried different variations of the Field Dominance Override setting (Progressive, Upper First & None) on the progressive shot which has no effect.

Any knowledge would be appreciated! Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1080p Footage Has Different Field Behaviour in FCPX10.3.4 vs 10.4 & 10.4.1 Projects 30 Apr 2018 07:32 #95329

• petersxs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi , yes there is a serious bug with interlaced files since 10.4 which ih NOT FIXED in 10.4.1. as i tried recently.
it only concerns 25i. what we found is that the field are not switched in a fame F1/ F2 but the Frame consists of the second Field of the Frame before as F1 and the first field the current field. its like FCP shifts by one field on Import and decodes mxf 5oi files wrong .

test:
import an edited Mxf 25 i , best a master clip you edited with 10.3. or earlier, put it in a project ( automatic setting or manually the same as the clip ) . if you don't have a Broadcast monitor with Blackmagic , Aja or similar be shure to enable show both fields in the viewer settings ! then put the playhead exactly on a cut. you see two different fields . one from the outgoing and from the incoming .

. see also www.fcp.co/fcp-forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-f...-10-4?start=40#93505

i have not encountered this with progressive material but i will test

1080p Footage Has Different Field Behaviour in FCPX10.3.4 vs 10.4 & 10.4.1 Projects 30 Apr 2018 07:45 #95330

• EditGuru
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply.

I first noticed that exact thing when I imported the freshly exported MXF master back into FCPX to check it was all OK. But it presented exactly as the 1 field shift issue you mentioned but even going from colour bars to clapper there was the shift, very weird.

I've sent a bug report also. Cheers mate.

1080p Footage Has Different Field Behaviour in FCPX10.3.4 vs 10.4 & 10.4.1 Projects 30 Apr 2018 11:32 #95332

• EditGuru
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Just an update, I transcoded the shot to Proxy which fixed it, not a solution but interesting. I'm now running all the footage through Compressor to ProRes which does fix the issue. Also fyi... this particular footage came from a C300.

1080p Footage Has Different Field Behaviour in FCPX10.3.4 vs 10.4 & 10.4.1 Projects 30 Apr 2018 12:29 #95333

• petersxs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
from a c300 Mk2 ? shot progressive ?
I have not encountered any problems with importing C300 25p Material, and editing in25p exporting Prores 25p
I convert to XDCAM MFX external too, and give it to the broadcaster , no problem.
The error comes when importing the MXF to FCP . then the shift happens also to the progressive Material of course,
and there is no real XDCAM MXF progressive i believe , its PSF

So normally the Master should be O ( before Import ) , but since an Engineer gave you the error message, did you import some MXF footage, or made changes to an exported Master reimporting it ?

• Page: