• Page:

TOPIC: Live Capture in FCPX

Live Capture in FCPX 30 Apr 2018 18:47 #95347

• dude at keystone
  • dude at keystone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I've requested this several times and I'm still waiting for this feature: I'd like (i need) FCPX to accept the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio mini record signal (HDMI / HD-SDI-to-Thunderbolt) the way FCPX accepts the built-in camera on a MBP as a source to record live into FCPX the way we used to be able do in FCP7.

I understand that I can use other software programs to record, such as BMD Media Express, etc. But I'm a life-long user of FCP and the efficiency of being able to capture live inside the App is huge. I do various freelance work on large corporate shows where I am downstream from large switchers and I'm capturing a live switched feed, sometimes several; a dirty program and a clean program feed. Typically we have to quickly turn a top-and-tail segment out (delivery), and to have to capture in one program and import into FCPX waste critical time. A lot of freelancers ask me "why are you even using FCPX?" and I stand my ground about its benefits and speed, etc., but when I cannot capture live, It's just another reason they can argue that I should not be using it. Any thoughts? Who can I contact to request this more directly than clicking on submit feedback (into the ether)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Live Capture in FCPX 30 Apr 2018 20:05 #95350

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 740
Have you looked at Softron for your work?

Live Capture in FCPX 06 May 2018 04:48 #95401

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 244
As far as I know, FCPX only allows live capture via FireWire....which means you need an older Mac with those ports and you're restricted to a maximum of HD resolutions. Unless Softron offers a newer solution I am not aware of, they only support sending data to FCPX from their own capture device, which means you still need to import captured files.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Live Capture in FCPX 06 May 2018 13:00 #95405

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 506
Actually, Softron is an Import process, BUT it imports WHILE RECORDING. It is a live capture option, and about the best out there right now.
softron.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/20...-and-Final-Cut-Pro-X

I do think it is very irresponsible for FCPX to only support FW input when no Mac made in years has had a FW port. This updated April 2018 shows that Apple expects you to use a port your Mac doesn't have, which blows my mind.
support.apple.com/kb/PH12752?locale=en_US

Everyone needs to jump on Apple and the FCPX dev team about this via the feedback page.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Live Capture in FCPX 06 May 2018 13:04 #95407

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662
Ronny gave you reply on your first post of this topic…

www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...bolt-feature-request

• Page: