I just thought I would share my evening's headache maker as a cautionary tale.
My project requires final delivery of an AVI with a Windows only codec. I have been using this codec and workflow for the past 6 months, but not on a daily basis. Since adobe can read the pro res codecs and I prefer to edit in FCP or Motion I do most of my work on the Mac. My work flow is to export from FCP as 4444 (I need a key channel) then on the PC I use Adobe Media Encoder to export the AVI with the proprietary codec. Typically for this client my projects are small and I don’t do much organizing of media in FCP, but this one was getting a bit messy so I added some Events and organized my imports.
About 3 hours ago I was at the final stage and wrapping up for the night. To my surprise when I brought my final into the AME Queue the source was audio only. I checked the file on the PC in Quicktime and yes there was video. I went through the process again, reexporting from FCP and same result. I then imported the file into After Effect (on the PC) and again it looked like an Audio only file. I powered down, did all of the basic troubleshooting until I was convinced that somehow the codec was corrupt. Then I remembered that quicktime played the fine. At this point I reached for the Excedrin.
Then I tried the files in Premiere on the PC which was the only hint of what my problem actually was. While importing the first few files I received an error message of something like “too many descriptors.” Although if I try the same file again it imports as audio only.
So within FCP I created a new library, imported my 4444 .mov and exported it. The file without any “Tags” loaded as it should and now I am only dealing with a slow internet upload.
If anyone has any other advice to avoid future headaches I would love to hear them.
Follow up and more confusion... I assumed that just deleting my tags from my original project export would work, but I didn't want to attempt it earlier to expedite my already long process. I did just attempt to export and deleted all of the tags and the description. Once in AME it is only showing as an audio file "Source: No Video"
The same project exported at 422 imports fine into AME.