fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX stops responding to playback commands.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 23 Jun 2019 22:46 #100284

• smg669
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27

Redifer wrote: This is a common problem. You don't need to completely quit FCP, just double-click on the project in the browser. The project/timeline reloads and all is well. This usually happens when copy/pasting transitions, I find.

I don't think that is the issue being described. At least it isn't for me. Double clicking to re-open the same Project (or even a different project) does not solve the issue.

After a period of time, when try to I execute playback of the main timeline (either using the Spacebar or Menu Command) I get a brief instance of cursor beachball and then no playback. FCPX in general becomes sluggish. Same thing happens with trying to playback source clips in the Event Browser.

If I restart FCPX (just the app - not the whole system) all is back to normal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by smg669.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 24 Jun 2019 15:57 #100290

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Turn off background rendering if you haven't already.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 24 Jun 2019 18:55 #100291

• PaulG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Your project may be corrupted somewhere. Here's a way to force FCPX to clean things up:

Create a new Library
Open Old Library
Copy all of the contents from the old Library into the new Library
Close the old Library
Try editing in the new Library.

Sometimes I've found there's some kind of deal-breaker corruption that is solved by copying everything to an empty new library.

Good luck!

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 24 Jun 2019 23:59 #100293

• tpf1952
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I share the experience of Stasinos: any kind of video will not roll, it’s not just FCPX. Even if I click on a You Tube , Vimeo or a Quicktime movie: it ain’t gonna roll until after I shut down and restart. I’m intrigued by the suggestion that I disconnect my external audio card, which in my case is a Duet 2.

I had wondered if this was happening to anyone else. So if I’m crazy, it’s gotta be another reason.

Thanks,

Tom

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 28 Jun 2019 13:48 #100324

• thewitt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have this problem if I'm using a bluetooth speaker for audio output.

If I use my headphones instead, or an external speaker plugged in to the headphone port, it doesn't happen.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 03 Aug 2019 23:05 #100726

• raphael
  • raphael's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all the feedback on this issue. I tried every fix, mentioned here and on Larry Jordan's site. Nothing seemed to help, until I read about the bluetooth connection. I had been using Powerbeats bluetooth headphones for the rough cuts so I don't bother anyone else.

When I switched to powered/connected speakers (Klipsch), the problem went away. Just finished two days of editing a two hour program, and not a single non-responsive event as before. Only time I had to force quit was when the beachball kept spinning for over 5 minutes during creating a composite clip of a 1 hr segment.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 30 Sep 2019 05:31 #101704

• Sidepocket
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ahhhh, thank you so much for the Bluetooth headphone suggestion, that's what was causing this error on my 2017 5K iMac, and it was driving me bonkers, because it doesn't happen with my 2012 15" MBP, and I also use my bluetooth headphones on that, so there's a bug with FCPX and bluetooth on the iMac, because both run on the latest Mojave 10.14.6. Someone with connections should tell Apple or the FCPX dev team.

Thank you again!

Last edit: by Sidepocket.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 15 Nov 2019 19:33 #102666

• smg669
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
I'd just like to confirm that the issue is indeed caused by monitoring audio with a Buetooth device. In my case, a pair of Plantronics headphones. Disconnecting the device and monitoring via analog output fixes the problem immediately. This is happening on a Late 2015 27" iMac Retina.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 31 Jan 2020 21:28 #104270

• webwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I had the same issue that the FCPX stops reacting or playback any movie for the last 8 months. I am using Blue Tooth 2 headphones, I will try the solution the next thing it happens.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 24 Apr 2020 15:39 #106508

• Canale
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
try to kill audiod and bluetooth process and final cut will works again!

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 25 Apr 2020 12:54 #106540

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
I have had this issue for years, and have never found a permanent solution. And I know other Mac owners who have to do what I do. Open Activity Monitor. Find "coreaudiod" and Force Quit. I have to do this every morning now. No one has a clue what is causing coreaudiod to get corrupted.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 25 May 2020 08:47 #107444

• rondawson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OMG. I was having this same problem as the original poster. Then, I came across this answer about the Bluetooth. I was using Bluetooth headphones. I turned them off and bingo! It was working again. Ugh! SO MANY HOURS wasted starting and stopping and experimenting. Seems crazy that Bluetooth was the culprit.

THANK YOU!

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 26 May 2020 13:49 #107472

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
I use several Bluetooth devices, including headphones, and that solution doesn't work for me. But killing coreaudiod and disconnecting Bluetooth headphones, whichever works for now is good.

macOS has a bug, wish Apple would fix it.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 06 Jun 2020 02:21 #107704

• GolfHiLights
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I was so elated to find this thread that I had to create an account just to say Thanks 🙏.

I started using FCPX a few years ago and I frequently encountered that playback freezing bug. It's because of this thread I was able to identify that pest and temporarily (unfortunately not permanently) “kill” it.

I initially thought the reason for this freeze was because my MBP 13” (early ’15) was too old and needed more RAM and a better processor, so I convinced my better half to buy me a ’18 MBP 15” with 32GB of RAM (what can I say, my partner loves me). Once I got it, I was super stoked and ready get into FCPX and start editing. But disappointingly, I still encountered the same playback issue; not as frequent, but it still popped up it’s head 😠. This was obviously irritating considering this Laptop was brand new, but at that point, since google didn’t look into the future and find this thread 😂, I just accepted it. So whenever it froze up I did exactly what everyone else did: close/re-open FCP. But now, because of the info I found in this community, my faith in FCP has been restored (somewhat, I run into some random hold ups, but not often enough to warrant a google search).

Getting a new MBP wasn’t completely unwarranted; the MBP 13” couldn’t playback 4K from my GoPro Hero 7 since the video card couldn’t read HEVC.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 10 Jun 2020 15:55 #107809

• MamaNettiePR
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for this solution...I have been racking my brain about this for the last 24 hours and my new bluetooth headphones (Cowin brand) are indeed the problem.

Any idea how we can still use the bluetooth headphones with a workaround? Or is the only solution to plug them in for now? Apple needs to send out an update to fix this ASAP.

Thanks again, everyone!!

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 17 Jun 2020 00:41 #107952

• nxtkitt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I had the same issue with my apple brand AirPods. When editing with them, all of a sudden I'd get the spinning ball. Experts told me to try using proxy files but it didn't make sense - why all of a sudden? What was different? OH - started using bluetooth AirPods. Once I switched back to my wired headphones - back to normal.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 17 Jun 2020 02:03 #107954

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
My FCP still has this problem, usually caused by applying transitions to audio-only files. Bluetooth on or off has no effect.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 09 Jul 2020 02:08 #108554

• NotARubicon_Productions
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Just reporting that I have this exact same issue on my new iMac whenever using my Air Pods Pro.. Put the Airpods in the case and listen via my regular speaker output and Final Cut is smooth as butter.. Try to use the Airpods and it's beach ball city..

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 09 Jul 2020 10:43 #108560

• Rinaldo Doon
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Having recently had to dive into the art of Bluetooth connectivity, (unrelated to this thread), reminds me that there is a little-known collection of functions in the Bluetooth menu in the menu bar.

Hold down opt-shift and click on the Bluetooth menu and you will see a Debug option appear, with a submenu. These options in the submenu allow you to reset the Bluetooth module (in my experience devices usually reconnect), and Factory reset all connected devices, etc.

Neither of these options will do any harm, except that with the Factory reset you may have to reconnect the devices.

Another point worth mentioning, is that while Bluetooth uses a part of the 2.4GHz band that wifi doesn’t use, the close proximity of lots of powerful wifi will impinge on bluetooth connectivity, so it’s worth not having a wifi router 1m away!

While struggling with a low Bluetooth signal scenario, I found that resetting the Bluetooth module appears to make it search for a clearer channel on the frequencies it's allowed to use.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rinaldo Doon.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 11 Jul 2020 01:38 #108614

• nxtkitt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I wish I could reset the bluetooth in my Apple TV. Whenever I use my AirPods with it after a few mins the audio crackles out. It's unusable. But airpods have perfect connection to the iphone and computer.

• Page: