fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX stops responding to playback commands.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 06 Jun 2020 02:21 #107704

• GolfHiLights
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I was so elated to find this thread that I had to create an account just to say Thanks 🙏.

I started using FCPX a few years ago and I frequently encountered that playback freezing bug. It's because of this thread I was able to identify that pest and temporarily (unfortunately not permanently) “kill” it.

I initially thought the reason for this freeze was because my MBP 13” (early ’15) was too old and needed more RAM and a better processor, so I convinced my better half to buy me a ’18 MBP 15” with 32GB of RAM (what can I say, my partner loves me). Once I got it, I was super stoked and ready get into FCPX and start editing. But disappointingly, I still encountered the same playback issue; not as frequent, but it still popped up it’s head 😠. This was obviously irritating considering this Laptop was brand new, but at that point, since google didn’t look into the future and find this thread 😂, I just accepted it. So whenever it froze up I did exactly what everyone else did: close/re-open FCP. But now, because of the info I found in this community, my faith in FCP has been restored (somewhat, I run into some random hold ups, but not often enough to warrant a google search).

Getting a new MBP wasn’t completely unwarranted; the MBP 13” couldn’t playback 4K from my GoPro Hero 7 since the video card couldn’t read HEVC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 10 Jun 2020 15:55 #107809

• MamaNettiePR
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for this solution...I have been racking my brain about this for the last 24 hours and my new bluetooth headphones (Cowin brand) are indeed the problem.

Any idea how we can still use the bluetooth headphones with a workaround? Or is the only solution to plug them in for now? Apple needs to send out an update to fix this ASAP.

Thanks again, everyone!!

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 17 Jun 2020 00:41 #107952

• nxtkitt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I had the same issue with my apple brand AirPods. When editing with them, all of a sudden I'd get the spinning ball. Experts told me to try using proxy files but it didn't make sense - why all of a sudden? What was different? OH - started using bluetooth AirPods. Once I switched back to my wired headphones - back to normal.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 17 Jun 2020 02:03 #107954

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
My FCP still has this problem, usually caused by applying transitions to audio-only files. Bluetooth on or off has no effect.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 09 Jul 2020 02:08 #108554

• NotARubicon_Productions
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Just reporting that I have this exact same issue on my new iMac whenever using my Air Pods Pro.. Put the Airpods in the case and listen via my regular speaker output and Final Cut is smooth as butter.. Try to use the Airpods and it's beach ball city..

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 09 Jul 2020 10:43 #108560

• Rinaldo Doon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Having recently had to dive into the art of Bluetooth connectivity, (unrelated to this thread), reminds me that there is a little-known collection of functions in the Bluetooth menu in the menu bar.

Hold down opt-shift and click on the Bluetooth menu and you will see a Debug option appear, with a submenu. These options in the submenu allow you to reset the Bluetooth module (in my experience devices usually reconnect), and Factory reset all connected devices, etc.

Neither of these options will do any harm, except that with the Factory reset you may have to reconnect the devices.

Another point worth mentioning, is that while Bluetooth uses a part of the 2.4GHz band that wifi doesn’t use, the close proximity of lots of powerful wifi will impinge on bluetooth connectivity, so it’s worth not having a wifi router 1m away!

While struggling with a low Bluetooth signal scenario, I found that resetting the Bluetooth module appears to make it search for a clearer channel on the frequencies it's allowed to use.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rinaldo Doon.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 11 Jul 2020 01:38 #108614

• nxtkitt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I wish I could reset the bluetooth in my Apple TV. Whenever I use my AirPods with it after a few mins the audio crackles out. It's unusable. But airpods have perfect connection to the iphone and computer.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 11 Jul 2020 20:14 #108630

• webwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Whan an annoying problem, that Apple developers should take care, but nothing has been done so far.

Last edit: by webwiz.

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 17 Aug 2020 21:53 #109337

• medmagic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Was having the same issue. Late 2015 27-inch iMac, 32GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.5, FCPX 10.4.8. First, thanks to all who contributed to this thread, It put me on the right track! Thought it was a RAM issue, but my RAM monitor showed I still had 15GB unused while running FCP. Was using wired headphones, as I have a home office and was trying not to disturb my family. But recently started using my AirPods, as it's much more convenient.That was the issue. Now, when the timeline locks up, I simply go to the Bluetooth icon in the Menu bar, disconnect the AirPods, then reconnect. Don't have to do anything to FCP. The timeline immediately unlocks and I'm back in business. Much better than quitting FCP every time! Thanks all!

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 18 Aug 2020 20:09 #109366

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 506
Feedback page!

Attachments:

FCPX stops responding to playback commands. 01 Sep 2020 20:06 #109773

• TinyArk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: I use several Bluetooth devices, including headphones, and that solution doesn't work for me. But killing coreaudiod and disconnecting Bluetooth headphones, whichever works for now is good.

macOS has a bug, wish Apple would fix it.

Thankyou! I have been persevering with this problem for years, thought it was just my machine but this was this issue all along. This is a god send and will stop me restating FCPX every 10mins. Thanks again!!

Last edit: by TinyArk.
  • Page: