Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FCPX Keeps crashing

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 May 2020 10:23 #107282

• k1anoop
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
FCPX keeps crashing on me but for different reasons than above.

I've used compound clips a hell of a lot and after making the last three projects in the same event and library as everything else (but in different aspect ratios), and relying on compound clips to copy and paste everything into them, I then started having FCPX continually crash on me AFTER exporting the event as an entire fcpxml (to convert via Project x27 into an xml to open in Premiere).

Only one project line has a noticeable exclamation mark (shown in attached screenshot) indicating that perhaps a clip within it is a bit faulty now and needs to be readded to get back to normal but I am never able to even click on it as FCPX crashes by the time I move my mouse, repeatedly.

I made an edit using about 10 hours of footage and had upto 20 projects within an event and about 200 various clips.

Here's the technical info about my Mac etc since it might help:
macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
- MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, early 2013
Processor: 2.4GHz Intel core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3
- Using Colour Finale v1.9.4 (263)

I've done the OPTION and COMMAND trick to restore my Preferences back to the default. Doing so allowed for any random project (from the same library/event) to show up automatically when FCPX is restored and my external hard drive is connected which, it wouldn't even get as far as doing before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance - let me know if you have any questions...hopefully, I can attach a screenshot hereto.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX Keeps crashing 19 May 2020 11:40 #107318

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329
What version of FCPX? What version of fcpxml are you exporting? Does it crash *during* export of fcpxml, or after that? If afterward, how long after and upon what user action? Can you post the stack trace of the crashing thread?

As previously described, any bug in any 3rd-party plugin developed with the current FxPlug framework can crash FCPX. Can you update to Color Finale v 2.1?

As a standard troubleshooting measure, turn off background rendering in FCPX preferences. Then delete all generated library: Files>Delete Generated Library Files>Delete Render Filess>All. Then do a one-time render of the timeline by selecting it with CMD+A and rendering it with CTRL+R. Then try your fcpxml export. This separates the render phase from the export or encoding phase.

If that still crashes, create a test library, then create a "transfer event" in your current library. Drag/drop your project using OPT key into the transfer event. This does a copy, not a move. Then drag/drop that transfer event to the new library. Answer YES to copy optimized/proxy media (regardless of whether you have any). Do not consolidate media in that new library. Then open that copied project in that new library, render the timeline and try the export the fcpxml from there.

If that still crashes, in that test library, select the project and do the undocumented command OPT+Clip>Verify and Repair Project. See if that makes any difference. Do not try this on your main timeline - it is undocumented.

If that still crashes, can you make a duplicate snapshot of the timeline then strip all Fx with Edit>Remove Effects, render the timeline and see if that crashes? If not then make another snapshot, select 1/2 the timeline and remove Fx from there, re-render and re-export. If that does not crash, repeat the process with the other 1/2, then 1/4, etc until you narrow down the Fx-laden region causing the problem.

Last edit: by joema.

FCPX Keeps crashing 27 May 2020 13:00 #107494

• k1anoop
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for replying!
1. FCPX version 10.4.6.

2. "version of fcpxml"
- I don't understand, sorry, I'm not the most technical about software tbh
- how can I easily find this out for you because nothing obvious when right clicking on the file?

3. I had fcpx going incredibly slow in a couple of new projects within the same event but can't recall if I deleted them or not as they were pointless (in different aspect ratios for something else I was trying to do) before exporting the fcpxml and then converting into xml
- However, the xml is useless in Premiere and then when I went back to FCPX, I am unable to even move the mouse before it freezes/crashes on me
- So, I'm unable to do anything as suggested after opening up the affected library, event and projects in fcpx before it will continually crash/freeze on me!:S
- I found my backups but only an older version of the library can be opened and its nowhere as complete with the finished work as the more recent backups which, again have the same issues too.

Apart from starting from scratch within Premiere and converting the older backup from fcpx (via Project X27) into an xml that will hopefully work in Premiere (otherwise, I'm literally starting from scratch), is there anyway of resolving my issues from outside of fcpx? For example with certain files related to the library and doing anything with them again outside of FCPX i.e. using Finder?

Thanks in advance. I feel like I'm stuck with this one.

• Page: