• Page:

TOPIC: FCPX Keeps crashing

FCPX Keeps crashing 17 Oct 2019 15:02 #102091

• Tyki
  • Tyki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys, maybe some1 can help me with this crashing app problem.

There is log from fcpx crash.

pastebin.com/mAcrrET7

Thanks for help! :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 Oct 2019 13:29 #102111

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 330
What year, make and model of Mac is this? The log indicates FCPX 10.4.7 on Catalina but one of the stack traces indicates the AMD driver AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.

It also indicates you are running Color Finale. I thought there were conflicts between that and Catalina or 10.4.7 -- maybe others could advise.

You were also apparently running plugins from Pixel Film Studios. There are also known issues with that and Catalina or 10.4.7. I personally wouldn't run plugins from that company even under perfect conditions.

Contact Color Finale and Pixel Film Studios and verify their support status on FCPX 10.4.7 and Catalina. If those are not supported, totally remove those plugins from your system.

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 Oct 2019 14:48 #102113

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
The latest version 1.9.4 of Color Finale supports FCPX 10.4.7 as well as the Catalina OS. It also adds a new Metal render engine to CF.

Creating history....one edit at a time !
Attachments:

FCPX Keeps crashing 18 Oct 2019 22:29 #102123

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

dgwvideo wrote: The latest version 1.9.4 of Color Finale supports FCPX 10.4.7 as well as the Catalina OS. It also adds a new Metal render engine to CF...

Thanks, dgwvideo. The stack trace indicates he was running CF 1.9.4 build 262, so in theory that should be OK. Pixel Film Studios is unknown.

As always, he should state is it reproducible, how often, what codec, what actions preceded the crash, etc. Make sure at least 20% free disk space on all drives, all media should be on APFS or HFS+ volumes, state if any are on network drives, try resetting FCPX preferences, etc.

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Oct 2019 08:06 #102234

• Tyki
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey!
I deleted Color Finale and right now there is no problems with FCPX. I had tested it for few days now. I hope all gonna go good. I think i need to go back with Film Convert for my video color plugin.

Thanks for help!

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Oct 2019 19:55 #102242

• scknurr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi!

I'm crashing ever time I open on an iMac Pro on Catalina.

pastebin.com/K5mkz447

Any help??

Thanks!
-Steve

FCPX Keeps crashing 26 Oct 2019 14:52 #102274

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
Launch FCPX while holding down OPTION and COMMAND keys and select delete preferences. This should allow you to startup with no open libraries. Try opening one other than the last one you were using to see if FCPX behaves normally. If it does, then attempt to open the last one you used prior to the crash. You may have a corrupt library or project and that can be dealt with separately, but try the above first.

It would also help to know your computer specs, ram, gpu, project format and codecs of the clips you are using.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Last edit: by dgwvideo.

FCPX Keeps crashing 26 Oct 2019 15:09 #102276

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

scknurr wrote: Hi!

I'm crashing ever time I open on an iMac Pro on Catalina...

Besides what dgwvideo said, make sure you are not running Chrome.

It appears to be crashing during a render task. Make sure background rendering is disabled, delete all render files, then try it again. There are some issues with certain HEVC codecs under investigation. If you have any HEVC material anywhere in the library, try creating a test library without this.

Make sure you have the latest version of Apple Pro Video Formats installed. That is done in System Preferences>Software Update.

Make sure all 3rd party plugins are compatible FCPX 10.4.7/Catalina and updated to the latest version. You will have to check with each plugin vendor for that.

Last edit: by joema.

FCPX Keeps crashing 30 Oct 2019 20:48 #102353

• Smesh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad I checked in here before upgrading to Catalina. I am about to start another big project and figured it was now or never. Guess it just hasn't been out long enough yet. Will to Mojave and the latest version of FCPX for now.

FCPX Keeps crashing 30 Oct 2019 20:59 #102354

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Upgrading has benefits. FCPX 10.4.7 has some significant performance upgrades, whether on Mojave or Catalina. OTOH any upgrade has risk, whether macOS or FCPX. Not upgrading also has risks, sometimes major.

The recent Chrome "Keystone" data corruption bug shut down a bunch of broadcast TV productions because they had either stayed on older versions of macOS or disabled System Integrity Protection. For some of them staying on the older macOS had drastic consequences.

In general the results on FCPX 10.4.7 and either Mojave or Catalina have been good. The HEVC issue on 10.4.7 can be significant if you happen to use some variant of that codec which causes the problem. So far it has been reported on HEVC material from a DJI Inspire 2 X5S camera, Panasonic EVA-1, and Arlo Ultra 4k security camera. iPhone HEVC so far doesn't seem affected. If the EVA-1 is affected it's plausible the S1 and S1H are also possibly affected but I haven't see those reported yet.

FCPX Keeps crashing 31 Oct 2019 17:10 #102368

• Smesh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hmmm...

Well I'm about to start on a project that was shot on a GH5, GH5s and DJI Mavic Pro in D Log. Most of the GH5 footage was captured in Prores on Atomos recorders.

I have another project that was ingested, but not started yet, since we need to go back for the interviews. That was shot on the EVA1 as the main camera, GH5, GH5s and a ton of Inspire 2 footage with a X5s in log.

I've already upgraded to FCPX 10.4.7, but not Catalina.

Those projects will take a couple of months to finish, so should I upgrade to Catalina or stay on Mojave? :blink: :S

Last edit: by Smesh.

FCPX Keeps crashing 31 Oct 2019 17:40 #102369

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Smesh wrote: ... GH5, GH5s and DJI Mavic Pro in D Log. Most of the GH5 footage was captured in Prores on Atomos recorders. ...EVA1...a ton of Inspire 2 footage with a X5s in log....I've already upgraded to FCPX 10.4.7, but not Catalina.

Those projects will take a couple of months to finish, so should I upgrade to Catalina or stay on Mojave? :blink: :S

In general 10.4.7 works very well and there are some significant performance improvements. There is apparently an HEVC issue that causes crashes/instability but only with certain HEVC codecs. Reported cameras include DJI X5S, Panasonic EVA-1 and Arlo 4k Ultra. Note that is *only* with those specific cameras using HEVC, not if using any other codec such as H.264 or ProRes via HDMI recorder. On our Inspire 2 drones, we only shoot ProRes, so that is unaffected.

HEVC from an iPhone and some other cameras seems OK, however testing is incomplete.

The Panasonic cameras seem to use similar codec algorithms so I'd be suspicious of HEVC (esp. 10-bit) from a GH5, S1 or S1H. However I haven't seen that reported yet. We have an S1 but we use an external ProRes recorder.

It would seem this is a high-priority bug and I sent a complete problem replication package to Pro Apps five days ago. However we have no way of knowing how long it will take to fix it.

If you are not using HEVC you are probably OK.

Regarding Catalina, the main issue is loss of 32-bit support, which includes certain legacy codecs which were implemented in 32-bit code. The affected codecs are listed in the below article. Note since that article was written Apple has committed to supporting Avid DNxHD / DNxHR going forward.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT209000

For 32-bit apps or utilities, before upgrading check what 32-bit apps you have installed. Use the upper-left Apple menu>About This Mac>System Report>Applications.

Pull down the horizontal divider to see better, then click the right-most column which is "64-bit (Intel)". That sorts all installed apps by whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit.

For any app which says "32 bit", check whether an updated 64-bit version is available or whether you need the app anymore. If you need the app and no 64-bit version is available, either stay on Mojave or seek out an alternative app.

FCPX Keeps crashing 23 Jan 2020 14:38 #104101

• Tyki
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, sorry to bother you. Still have problems with crashing. Its much less than before, but i had deleted all Pixel Film Studios plugins, so its a bit better.
Here is my crash report.

pastebin.com/xqXWYcgu

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Jan 2020 15:25 #104114

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Tyki wrote: Hello, sorry to bother you. Still have problems with crashing. Its much less than before, but i had deleted all Pixel Film Studios plugins, so its a bit better.
Here is my crash report.

pastebin.com/xqXWYcgu

You are running 10.4.8 on 10.15.2, which should be OK. FCPX apparently crashed during playback due to an erroneous memory reference. Some components of Pixel Film Studios are still listed in the crash report.

Here are some tutorials showing how to fully remove Pixel Film Studio plugins:

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...5u7w7uq7nbqL8BWIvuz4

store.pixelfilmstudios.com/portfolio-ite...-uninstall-a-plugin/

I also see references to FilmConvert Pro 2. Are you using that on the timeline when it crashed? Can you make a snapshot duplicate of the timeline, strip all effects with Edit>Remove Effects, then reproduce the problem?

There are also some HEVC references in the crash report. Are you using any HEVC material? If so from what camera? There are some known issues with certain HEVC material starting with 10.4.7. These are under investigation by Apple. One way to pursue this is transcode all that material to another codec like ProRes before importing.

Make sure you are not running the Chrome browser. It can saturate the MacOS VideoToolBox framework which destabilizes FCPX and may crash it.

If you are using background rendering, consider disabling that, deleting all render files, then manually pre-render the timeline only as needed. E.g, CMD+A to select all clips on the timeline and CTRL+R to render.

Verify you have plenty of free disk space on all drives, at least 20% free.

If you have never run Disk Utility First Aid on all drives, do that. Running this on the boot drive requires being in Recovery Mode. support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

If you have never rebuilt Spotlight indexes on all drives, do that. support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Make sure you are on the latest version of Apple Pro Video Formats. If needed, this will be listed in System Preferences>Software Update.

If you have never run Apple hardware diagnostics, run that. An error-free pass is not a "clean bill of health" because it's a superficial test. However it is easy to run and if any problems are found it's usually serious: support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Jan 2020 15:40 #104115

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Everybody should save this message for reference.

Do you know what cameras have HEVC problems? I’ve seen a lot of reports from iPhones, though whatever material I’ve used has been OK.

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Jan 2020 16:56 #104116

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Tom Wolsky wrote: Do you know what cameras have HEVC problems? I’ve seen a lot of reports from iPhones, though whatever material I’ve used has been OK.

I tested HEVC material from an iPhone 11 Pro and it seemed OK on 10.4.7 and Mojave 10.14.6. However that was a simple test.

Using two different 4k HEVC codecs, I can reliably reproduce an FCPX crash/hang on 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 and Mojave 10.14.6. This is on both a 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro and a 2017 i7 iMac 27 with Radeon Pro 580. The two codecs are from an Arlo Ultra security camera, and a DJI Inspire 2 drone. The procedure is just create proxies on a few files. Each time FCPX will hang or crash. I have discussed this with Apple Pro Apps support and in October 2019 uploaded to them a replication scenario and file package.

I just re-tested it on the same machines and versions and it still happens. I also tested it on an i9 MacBook Pro 16 with the 8GB Radeon Pro 5500M, running FCPX 10.4.8 and Catalina 10.15.2, and it still happens. So it happens on machines with both Quick Sync and T2-based decoding. All of the above have the latest version of Apple Pro Video formats, which is 2.11.

I've seen it reported on HEVC media from a Panasonic EVA-1 but I don't have that material to test.

It seems a little data sensitive, IOW a single file may not cause it. It usually requires attempting to create proxies on several HEVC files from one of the "problem" cameras, and after a few min the FCPX process hangs and requires force quit.

I think some of the reports state just playing or skimming the clips may cause it. This would be logical since that is just reading and decoding. I stuck with the "create proxy" scenario because it reliably reproduces the problem, given a few files from the right camera. The fact it takes several files and may require 1-2 minutes to manifest could imply it's some kind of threading bug or failure to protect a critical section during a multi-threaded operation or during overlapped I/O.

It might also be a lack of standardization in how some camera mfgs are implementing the HEVC codec or how Apple is using hardware acceleration. E.g, if the spec states only certain values are permitted in the header of an HEVC file, then a certain camera writes junk data there, then FCPX builds a pointer from that header value without validating it, the hang/crash could happen.

FCPX Keeps crashing 24 Jan 2020 16:59 #104117

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Thank you very much for this.

FCPX Keeps crashing 30 Jan 2020 13:45 #104226

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Since Catalina 10.5.3 was just released and there was an HEVC item in the release notes I re-tested the two problematic HEVC codecs I have. They still cause FCPX to hang when creating proxies. This is on a 2019 top-spec MacBook Pro 16. It is the only Catalina machine I have -- all the others are on Mojave.

FCPX Keeps crashing 15 May 2020 14:21 #107189

• oscarrsm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Guys,
I have FINAL CUT PRO 10.4 on MACOS 10.14.6

When I try to export the movie to a file, it crashes :( Someone can help me?

pastebin.com/gaQRuyxn << here the error

FCPX Keeps crashing 16 May 2020 22:53 #107236

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The above thread and other similar reports indicate upgrading to FCPX 10.4.8 may fix it. Another user traced his problem to an iTunes update which had installed an updated file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework. He recovered the previous version from backup and that resolved his case.

• Page: