fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What caption format produces DVD Subtitles?

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 14 Dec 2019 17:59 #103232

• twalp
  • twalp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
In FCPX I burned a DVD and included CEA-608 captions, per Apple's instructions. The captions displayed fine in Mojave's DVD Player when Closed Captions are enabled in the Features menu. But when I played the disk in a Sony Blu-ray DVD player, pressing the Subtitle button on the player's remote resulted in the text from my Chapter Markers to display instead of the subtitles. I got the same result using another Sony BR DVD player.

My video has SRT captions, too. They worked fine when exported and uploaded to YouTube separately, but they're not listed in the "Include captions" drop-down menu in the Share to DVD Settings menu, so I presume they're not intended for DVD use.

What "caption" format is compatible with a typical DVD player's Subtitle function, assuming that it's even possible to burn a DVD with subtitles using FCPX?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 19 Feb 2020 14:39 #104753

• Michi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Reviving this thread since I have to solve the same problem now for a Blu Ray and DVD creation of a documentary i finished recently.
In compressor I added the CEA-608 captions to the batch before creating a Blu Ray Disc Image. But in my Sony BR-Player I could not choose to show the captions. They just don't seem to be there...
Anybody knows a workaround? I'm fine working in other Software anybody can recommend and has experience with...

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 19 Feb 2020 15:59 #104758

• Francois
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
I did not finish experimenting with this software but it seems very good for super customizable authoring ....plus it can add subtitles from SRT .

www.dvdstyler.org/en/

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 19 Feb 2020 17:42 #104763

• Michi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hello Francois. Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately it seems this is DVD only. I was hoping for a Software / Workflow for DVDs and Blu Rays... But still – better than nothing. I'll try it out for sure.

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 19 Feb 2020 18:59 #104765

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 169
Have you tried the "chapter solution" from the original poster?

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 19 Feb 2020 20:37 #104767

• Francois
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
Well this is not as DVDSP versatile but it works well, I which we could fully customize the menus ... I guess you can hack in a bit ? but wait they're is a free trial.
Also on the mac app store !

www.leawo.net/blu-ray-creator-mac/

What caption format produces DVD Subtitles? 20 Feb 2020 11:48 #104777

• Michi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Andreas Kiel wrote: Have you tried the "chapter solution" from the original poster?

What "chapter solution" are you referring to? What twalp describes in the original post is an unintended result where the chapter-titles are show as subtitles instead of the actual closed captions...

Will have a look at the Blu Ray Creator Francois linked too. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Page: