FCPX Noise Reduction Question 06 Jan 2020 19:35 #103753

• DvL
  • DvL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all!
I having some problems working with NR
1. is it normal that NR completely take away all the resources of a laptop? When I apply it, I can’t work normally even with proxy files. Last time the effect was applied for almost 50 hours to a 20 minute video.
Now I suffer with one minute project!
2. even with such a heavy render, my processor is no more than 30 percent loaded, while it I can’t do anything else on the laptop, and all the RAM is occupied by FC

maybe there is some kind of algorithm for working with NR ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX Noise Reduction Question 07 Jan 2020 07:11 #103767

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 495
Turn off Background Rendering in preferences, never turn it on again.
Delete all render files via File menu, Delete Generated Library Files .
Make sure the system drive has more than 20 percent of its total capacity as free space.
Know that a 2013 rMBP has serious limitations.

FCPX Noise Reduction Question 11 Jan 2020 08:13 #103851

• DvL
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the answer, but I can say that I tried it all.

FCPX Noise Reduction Question 12 Jan 2020 12:02 #103863

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331

DvL wrote: ...is it normal that NR completely take away all the resources of a laptop? When I apply it, I can’t work normally even with proxy files. Last time the effect was applied for almost 50 hours to a 20 minute video.
Now I suffer with one minute project!...

You are talking about FCPX built-in video NR effect, not a 3rd-party plugin like Neat Video? By standards of video NR, the FCPX effects is pretty fast although not nearly as effective as Neat Video. But the built-in effect still takes time to run.

If you are not running FCPX 10.4.7 or later, be advised there were significant performance upgrades to Metal-related effects in that version. I didn't test before/after video NR performance, but many effects were greatly accelerated. The degree may vary based on your GPU.

However they are all very compute-intensive, and on 4k material (which has 4x the pixels per frame of HD) it is much worse.

In general you do not blindly apply video NR to an entire timeline. You selectively pick out the worst clips which need it, and apply only to those. If you have an entire timeline which requires video NR, extremely long render times are expected - on any machine.

You definitely want background rendering OFF, otherwise it will keep trying to render the timeline which contains the compute-intensive effects.

Always defer applying video NR to the last editing/finishing steps. When the edit is nearly locked, when color work is well under way or nearly finished -- THEN you apply things like video NR. Otherwise it is in the way, slowing things down when you're still making content adjustments.

You can strip all video NR from the timeline by CMD+A to select all clips, then Edit>Remove Attributes to selectively remove only that one effect from the clips. You might want to make a snapshot backup of the project before doing this. Then when other editing and color work is nearly finished, you can try adding video NR again.

I recently finished a documentary which had lots of contributed low-light GoPro footage that required Neat Video to make usable. Even using Neat Video 5.1.8 which is faster than previous versions and even after using the built-in optimizer tool, it still took forever to run on my Vega 64 iMac Pro. This is expected.

FCPX Noise Reduction Question 15 Jan 2020 10:20 #103920

• DvL
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
thank you all for advises, i made my conclusions

• Page: