fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!

TOPIC: Media & Cache on shared storage network

Media & Cache on shared storage network 25 Jan 2020 02:21 #104126

• JeremyG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What kind of Ethernet adapter do you have?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 27 Jan 2020 17:15 #104164

• oldsoul
  • oldsoul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Solarflare 10Gbe in a Sonnet expansion chassis.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 04 Feb 2020 19:38 #104386

• StefanTheHeist
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dealing with a very similar issue with our system. Here's where we're at as we troubleshoot with Apple and Lumaforge.

Issue:
Loading a timeline in FCPX 10.4.8, on Mac OS 10.15.3, forces the server connection to our Lumaforge Jellyfish Rack SMB and NFS shares to suddenly disconnect. FCPX then prompts with a "Storage disconnected" error, forcing the library to close. SMB and NFS shares then need to be remounted in the JellyConnect app.

Systems Affected:
Any computer running 10.15.3.

Systems unaffected:
Any computer running 10.14.6 or earlier.

We have had no issues with the exact same assets or libraries on any system running 10.14.6 or earlier, on FCPX 10.4.8 or earlier, connected to internal or external assets. We also have no issues with the exact same assets and libraries running off the internal drive of a 10.15.3 system. Issue is only present when using external SMB or NFS based assets and libraries.

We have troubleshooted ethernet adaptors, CAT 6/7 cables, different server ports, different assets, different 2 year old libraries, updated JellyFish etc etc.

Currently this is sitting with Lumaforge and Apple, but effectively we are unable to use any newly released Apple computer that can't be downgraded to 10.14.6. Which means no new Mac Pro or MacBook Pro 16".

If anyone has any ideas, we're running out of ideas here!

Media & Cache on shared storage network 05 Feb 2020 06:00 #104404

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 749
You can’t run 10.4.6 in the current OS?

Media & Cache on shared storage network 05 Feb 2020 09:15 #104406

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
All,

There is a confirmed issue between Catalina and FCP X when using SMB or NFS protocols. The weird thing is that it does not happen on every system that is running this combination, which makes it very difficult to troubleshoot. As I said, we have quite a few clients running Catalina and FCP X on a Jellyfish without any issues. But recently we also have received reports as the one from Stefan.

This is an incompatibility issue between Catalina and FCP X over a network, running very specific hardware combinations. We have reported this directly to Apple (as Stefan has seen on our support portal) and are waiting for a fix. We have been trying to work around the issue. But as far as I see now, the fix needs to come from Apple.

In the meantime, we advise NOT to use Catalina with FCP X on a network storage. In fact, you never should upgrade an OS without first checking if there are any reported issues with the applications and the hardware you use. The big bummer, however, is that all new MBPs andMPs come with Catalina installed and it's not really easy to downgrade to Mojave. But there are hundreds of pages on the internet that explain how to downgrade from Catalina, so a lot of people must be doing it.

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 05 Feb 2020 12:00 #104407

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for all the info. This is great to know as we place orders for MP’s. On Catalina. I was under the impression you couldn’t dial them back to Mojave.
Oddly my behavior started in High Sierra and into Mojave. Perhaps there still is a patch needed. I have several days in a particular library where everything works as it should then can have 3-4 can’t save messages within 15minutes. Then totally fine again.
In working with SNS they said we've found a way to consistently reproduce stalled communication with SMB targets when working with FCP X. I’ll check in with them and see where we are at.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 05 Feb 2020 12:38 #104408

• JeremyG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info everyone.

As discouraging as it is, I’m glad to know that it can be reproduced elsewhere. I hope a fix can come swiftly as it’s really troublesome not being able to use new hardware.

oldsoul, we have similar setups and experiences but Mojave is by far more stable as the connection can be recovered in an instant, while on Catalina, the connection recovers very slowly. New Catalina based machines are unusable at this point and it’s extremely frustrating.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 06 Feb 2020 17:13 #104428

• StefanTheHeist
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks everyone. Lumaforge is working with Apple on this. Fortunately we can still read/write to the SMB share in the Finder just fine, so we'll be copying all assets to an external SSD to work off until this is resolved.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 06 Feb 2020 18:01 #104429

• ronny courtens
SNS has published a knowledge-base update which confirms our findings: the issue only affects specific configurations and workloads, and it cannot be reproduced on all systems running Catalina: support.studionetworksolutions.com/hc/en...alina-w-SNS-products

We have indeed submitted an engineering report to Apple and we are currently working with them towards a solution.

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 10 Feb 2020 17:58 #104518

• JeremyG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
oldsoul-

I'd encourage you to reach out to SNS as it appears they have a fix until Apple can address this at the OS level.

I tried it on Friday, and everything is working and looking good for our Catalina based machines.

Hope this helps!

Media & Cache on shared storage network 10 Feb 2020 19:43 #104520

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Jeremy G. Thats great news. I've been working with SNS since the beginning and have been diligent about trying to solve this. They are working on a Mojave patch now and will let me know. Fingers crossed.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 11 Feb 2020 19:15 #104541

• ronny courtens
Actually, it was a very dumb thing they changed without letting anyone know. There is an easy fix for this, we have tested it with different clients.

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 11 Feb 2020 23:51 #104550

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Wow, thanks to everyone for troubleshooting this! I thought we were all going crazy. Every once in a while we would have a disconnection, or the library refused to save. Our storage is connected through SMB. I THINK we mitigated the problem somewhat by pointing to the cache to a different subfolder whenever we switched machines.

It's crazy because Apple has broken SMB several times over the years, and they often don't communicate how they're changing the implementation. Whoever's in charge of this needs to be fired.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 12 Feb 2020 15:46 #104567

• afite
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Can you specify the "dumb thing" that they changed? We have a QNAP SMB server and I would like to know if there is a way for us to deal with the issue while waiting on Apple.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 13 Feb 2020 12:44 #104581

• ronny courtens
I am not an IT engineer, I repeat what our techies are saying. But it has something to do with port usage and netbios. Just like SNS, our support team has released a patch for our clients. I am sure that Qnap will do the same soon.

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 13 Feb 2020 13:29 #104584

• JeremyG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We had the Mojave machines fixed yesterday and there’s even improvement there, even though those machines weren’t dropping connections.

Goo 13 Feb 2020 13:31 #104585

• ronny courtens
Good to hear that, Jeremy! It's actually the same fix, but with a little tweak.

- Ronny

Media & Cache on shared storage network 19 Feb 2020 22:09 #104768

• afite
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It would be greatly appreciated if someone who is working on solutions could actually publish specific technical details on both the issues introduced in macOS Catalina and the current work arounds being implemented by teams such as yours and other teams like SNS. I keep seeing this issue posted everywhere online, but no one is posting anything helpful for people like myself that have to try and DIY fix this kind of an issue. If you have any ability to get a more technical explanation on potential fixes, it would be so incredibly appreciated. Thanks.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 20 Feb 2020 13:08 #104780

• JeremyG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
For us, it was a machine to machine fix.

I would suggest getting in touch with QNAP to see if they can help you out.

Media & Cache on shared storage network 27 Feb 2020 02:38 #104969

• awkward_eagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
After contacting Qnap they've confirmed they haven't heard this, but a ticket has been filed. Looking at the available information it appears that this has nothing to do with Qnap, Lumaforge, or SNS. They just happened to have figured it out and made changes to MacOS itself rather than updating the firmware on the NAS. While this is nice for those customers it leaves everyone else out in the cold until Apple acknowledges and fixes the problem. If this is the case there has to be a way to get this working without having to be an SNS or Lumaforge customer. They have so far not published any info on how the fixes work.